• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England vs France (13/03/21)

Not impressed by this selection, we need power in the midfield and we need to drop Farrell to the bench.

LCD is good as is Malins. No idea why Billy is still classed as a professional rugby player, bin him off please and bring in a proper 8.

I guess Ewls has been bought in for his leadership skills as it's certainly not his rugby ability.
Never going to happen.

Where I think Clive is bonkers is to have Itoje as captain. The guy might be clever, strong and athletic, but he lacks nous. He also lacks judgement. I was very unimpressed when he would allow the runners up medal to be put over his head in Japan in 2019. Typical public schoolboy, can't be seen as a loser attitude. It would be like putting Kevin Pietersen captain of England, or Botham. Bad mistake.
Give me Joe Launchbury as at least scrum captain every time. Best all round forward in England. Should have been picked for the Lions.

Hey, I am not the Academy John Carlisle.! I am a retired academic and businessman in Sheffield. Played rugby in Matabeleland in the army under later Springbok captains, Van Jaarsveld and Piet Greyling. Yep, that's how old I am....

French XV for Saturday:

Starting XY: Dulin ; Penaud, Vakatawa, Fickou, T. Thomas ; (o) Jalibert, (m) Dupont : Ollivon (cap.), Alldritt, Cretin ; Willemse, R. Taofifenua ; Haouas, Marchand, Baille.

Subs: Chat, Gros, Aldegheri , Cazeaux, Jelonch, Woki, Serin, Ntamack.
Good selection. Les Bleus main issue remain their discipline. There are better options long term at lock than Taofefinua with Geraci and Pesenti. Really like the backline. But NO KICKING. A la main ! Good bench with the return of Chat and Ntamack.

Last edited:
Most people in England do not want to even consider it, but there were twice as many "English" citizens living in France and speaking ancient French than in England proper in the XIIth and XIIIth century. English speakers were actually a minority of the population and most official acts were in ancient French or latin. Richard "The LionHeart" actually could not even speak ten words of English, he only spent six months of his life there and was much happier on the sunny side of the channel!
So actually, it is the whole population of XXIst century England that actually qualifies under residency!
So if you don't mind, we'll take Sinclair, Itoje, Simmonds, Mallins and Curry in the French selection for saturday, you can keep the others...
So only for the french speaking Englismen, as told Georges Clėmenceau:
« L'Angleterre est une ancienne colonie française qui a mal tourné. »

Good selection. Les Bleus main issue remain their discipline. There are better options long term at lock than Taofefinua with Geraci and Pesenti. Really like the backline. But NO KICKING. A la main ! Good bench with the return of Chat and Ntamack.
France have a ridiculously strong team out. If England aren't careful here we could get shown up. If we kick loosely against this French backline it could spell disaster. France are a better team from 1-15 but England could win this up front. Could have done with some rain on Saturday but the forecast is good. Put it this way, if we are as ill-disciplined as we've been in the tournament so far it will be a proper tonking.

Did anyone read Sir Clive Woodward's selection in the Mail for the game on Saturday?

If you want a snigger, have a read down this list. Controversial to say the least.
Oh, and apart from injuries, he wants them to play the full 80 mins without using the bench for knackered/ poor performing players.
Has he lost the plot?

15 Max Malins
14 Anthony Watson
13 Piers O'Connor
12 Henry Slade
11 Paolo Odogwu
10 Marcus Smith (VC)
9 Harry Randall
1 Ellis Genge
2 Luke Cowan-Dickie
3 Kyle Sinkler
4 Maro Itoje (C)
5 Alex Dombrandt
6 Sam Underhill
7 Tom Curry
8 Sam Simmonds.

Whatever side France put out, I fear they are too good for England. Ntamack, Dupont, Dulin, Vakatawa and Penaud are are all better than their English opposites IMO. Maybe not Penaud? And that's just the backs.
I hate being pessimistic about England's chances, but Eddies selections are both puzzling and frustrating. It's almost like he wants us to lose.
He's stuck in the past where he believes English players have limited skill, he's watching too much football and not enough prem rugby

Where I think Clive is bonkers is to have Itoje as captain. The guy might be clever, strong and athletic, but he lacks nous. He also lacks judgement. I was very unimpressed when he would allow the runners up medal to be put over his head in Japan in 2019. Typical public schoolboy, can't be seen as a loser attitude. It would be like putting Kevin Pietersen captain of England, or Botham. Bad mistake.
Give me Joe Launchbury as at least scrum captain every time. Best all round forward in England. Should have been picked for the Lions.
Launchbury for captain? Is very much in the Martin Johnson mould, Curry would also be a good call.

But, Itoje seems to calm down when captain for Sarries.

Launchbury for captain? Is very much in the Martin Johnson mould

I couldn't think of two more opposite players tbh, haha
Launchbury is the very picture of a posho public school rugby player

He does captain Wasps well, though, and would be my choice for England captain atm - though EJ has never seemed to rate him that highly (though with Kruis out of the picture and Lawes back to playing blindside for England, he might be a guaranteed starter these days)

Suppose it will be asked Taofifenua to make an efficient but sober job first, maybe not as strong as Le Roux but that way tested by english attack and support.

Anyone seen the furore about that training ground footage being released of Faz practicing his tackle. From the comments I'd heard I was expecting a bit 'more'... two of the top 3 tackles I've ever seen him make to be fair ;).

Very happy for the return to a regular bench,
Also Malins getting a start

Never been that hot on Ewels but he's been around so long he probably deserves a start just to see if he's up to the level - plus I don't think Itoje/Hill work together

Youngs/Ford/Farrell is frustrating but expected,
Hope Lawrence gets on but he'll inevitably get 5mins, subbing on for Ford, and never be seen again
I know it doesn't get mentioned in here but Eddie ISN'T ALLOWED to change much.

At the start of the tournament, he picked a 29 man squad whereas everyone else pick 40 odd players or more. As per the contract with the clubs during lockdown to minimise any possible COVID outbreak he is not allowed to bring anyone else in. He has to pick from this squad which means very little rotation. Backed himself into a corner effectively.

Which means no Marcus Smith :(

Oh aye, I know that - but there's still changes that could be/should have beem made within the squad

Like we've brought in Martin and Ribbans - could've brought in Simmonds for one of them and started him at 8,
If not then Wilson is a better option at 8 than Binny atm
Robson at 9, Lawrence at 12, LCD starting, Malins at 15 (finally happening)
Odogwu involved at any point

Not impressed by this selection, we need power in the midfield and we need to drop Farrell to the bench.

LCD is good as is Malins. No idea why Billy is still classed as a professional rugby player, bin him off please and bring in a proper 8.

I guess Ewls has been bought in for his leadership skills as it's certainly not his rugby ability.

I actually thought Billy looked pretty good against Wales. Well at least he looked better then the previous couple of games at least, which I guess isn't hard to do considering how poor he was.

France have a ridiculously strong team out. If England aren't careful here we could get shown up. If we kick loosely against this French backline it could spell disaster. France are a better team from 1-15 but England could win this up front. Could have done with some rain on Saturday but the forecast is good. Put it this way, if we are as ill-disciplined as we've been in the tournament so far it will be a proper tonking.
See I disagree, on paper I think they're two very evenly matched teams with areas of strength in different positions. The only thing is that England have a lot of players who for whatever reason are not playing very well at the moment. We are also missing a few second rows and our best blindside flanker.

I wouldn't be surprised if England won on Saturday, we've got a very strong team but again a lot of players are doing themselves a disservice at the moment.

Well it's progress. Wait to see if it's more permanent, but slightly more hopeful of a better game.

I disagree that they are better 1-15. They definitely have a better backline, however do they have one forward who is in the best 2 in his position in the world? I definitely think they can be got at in set piece. I can hand on heart give you 5 English back rowers who if fit are better than anything the French can muster
Their back are class with world best SH ( if not best player) class at 10 and centres. Wings are are about on par with England with a better FB

England's issue is not been outclassed, but poor selection, favouritism and tactics that make no sense The French look fit, well coached and motivated. A refreshing change from the last decade

They don't tend to beat England really. Had a good era late 80s and 90s but it's not common for them to beat us.

Latest posts