• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

(2022 Rugby Championship - Round 5) - Australia V New Zealand (15/9/2022) [Bledisloe 1]

The penalty against New Zealand, in the first instance looked harsh to me as well. Its debatable the Australian tackler ever released, then got to his feet, and was supporting his own weight while playing the ball. That's just another interpretation allowed in the game that is basically the whim of the official. More often than not, the player has his knees on the tackled player, and is deemed to be on his feet. Looks like bridging half the time.

I can't say I disagree with anything that's being said but it still doesn't sit right with me. Raynal have the pen at 78.24 and was still explaining it to NZ at 78.37. It's hard to follow then because he cuts to replay but he calls time on at 78.57 and blows at 79.03. 6 seconds for a kicker to set himself and go isn't that generous, especially when half the team is in a huddle (which I blame more than Foley, do that when the ball is dead ffs).

I think, rightly or wrongly, it ruined what would have been an all time test match. It highlighted issues with refereeing communication at the very least - "we play" is hardly a clear warning you'll turn a penalty over.

From a refereeing perspective it may have been sound but from a player's perspective it was bogus. Very few sports have a bigger disconnect there than rugby.
I say the referee was being clear with his instruction to Foley. We play. We play. 10. We Play.

But yes, ref might have ruined the match.

Funny seeing a time wasting penalty in a game where the ball is likely only in hand for 35 or so minutes.

The ref could have said 'you have 5 sec to kick the ball or i'll give NZ a free kick' and this, all of this would have been a non issue.
He did not and here we stand.

When the ref has the tools at his disposal to do something that is, in my view, for the good of the game, and he choses not to, i call that poor refereeing. It's not rocket science.
This! Would have saved blushes all round.

I say the referee was being clear with his instruction to Foley. We play. We play. 10. We Play.

But yes, ref might have ruined the match.

Funny seeing a time wasting penalty in a game where the ball is likely only in hand for 35 or so minutes.
thats where we go wrong, i was there and the only person copping any grumbles was foley

I had my club awards dinner on friday night...i had one conversation about it and the full extent of it was..."that was harsh, not consistent....but why the **** didn't he kick it out"

I think the only ones that think the game was ruined are those of us that go on the internet and over analyse EVERYTHING. down the pub afterwards there was a lot more chat about the comeback...and jordans worldie...the amazing crowd

The penalty against New Zealand, in the first instance looked harsh to me as well. Its debatable the Australian tackler ever released, then got to his feet, and was supporting his own weight while playing the ball. That's just another interpretation allowed in the game that is basically the whim of the official. More often than not, the player has his knees on the tackled player, and is deemed to be on his feet. Looks like bridging half the time.

I agree. "The jackler" is now favoured across all levels of the game. Players not released, knees on the tackled player, hands in front on ground then raking the ball back, holding the ball against the tackled player. All sides doing it. Constant penalties. Late in a game you don't want to be in possession.

I agree. "The jackler" is now favoured across all levels of the game. Players not released, knees on the tackled player, hands in front on ground then raking the ball back, holding the ball against the tackled player. All sides doing it. Constant penalties. Late in a game you don't want to be in possession.
this, rugby fans like to talk about how we dont milk penalties like football players...we may not roll around on the ground but we've definitely set things up to force penalties, this like this and almost all scrum penalties

Plus being allowed to jackal when it's already a ruck. And being harsh against going in from the side meaning you just have to let the guy go because his head is in th way of you clearing directly from behind unless you want to take out his head and get sent off. You should at least be able to take jacklers from a little bit on the side as long as you originally came from an onside position. Or just get rid of jacklers and put more onus on players, including the tackled player, rolling away, so you get proper rucks like they were meant to be when they designed the game. No hands in ruck, plaer can only pick ball up if player from his own team has stepped over the ball

this, rugby fans like to talk about how we dont milk penalties like football players...we may not roll around on the ground but we've definitely set things up to force penalties, this like this and almost all scrum penalties
Not all penalties are created equally though I for one don't mind the scrum halves occasionally being cheeky intentionally lobbing it at the opposition if they are slow to retreat or making out the ball is a lot more difficult to pull out the ruck than it is due to the opposition being there as I think this sets it up for the remainder quite nicely and stops accumulated slowing down which may otherwise get less penalised and be more persistent, refs are getting better at reading between the lines on these, however nick whites antics against Faf really takes the ****, it's not so much that it wasn't a pen, more the antics that went with it and that is very football like.

Latest posts