• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

I can empathise with your depression but looking at the age profile of those leavers and taking into account the normal leavers you get at the end of a season, I think it needed to happen just maybe not all at once.

Will be hard next season but the one after you should be getting right back up there.
It seems like the flip side of having signed up everyone to 3 year contracts in 2020 with the reduced cap and the exemption of 25% (or whatever it was) of salaries for contracts signed before the deadline.

Almost feels like 2 years worth of movement happening at once (with a little staleness creeping in for this season)

With today's post it seems that Chiefs have finally announced all of the leavers (as it includes guys whose contracts aren't being extended as well as the guys who are transferring).
  1. Moon
  2. Cowan-Dickie
  3. Williams
  4. Van Heerden
  5. Kirsten
  6. Ewers
  7. Grondona
  8. Simmonds, Leatherbarrow (Ollie, senior academy)
  9. Maunder
  10. Simmonds
  11. Cordero
  12. Kata, Hill (Archie, senior academy)
  13. Whitten, O'Brien
  14. Nowell, Cornish (Shea, senior academy)
  15. Hogg
19 players, 4 Lions, 6 England internationals, 5 other internationals, 11 of the Champions Cup winning 23… serious end of an era.

Well that's just stupid unless he knew he was going to fail the medical. I'm assuming he doesn't have a contract with Exeter next season so where does that leave him?

Well that's just stupid unless he knew he was going to fail the medical. I'm assuming he doesn't have a contract with Exeter next season so where does that leave him?
Pro D2, Japan or something I'd guess. Not many clubs will have the cap room this late in the day

Pro D2, Japan or something I'd guess. Not many clubs will have the cap room this late in the day
Especially the wages I imagine he will ask for. He would have been getting something nice in France and premiership definitely ain't matching that

Maybe he'll just stay at Exeter - they've not announced a replacement yet
Depends on cap space surely. They may have an open slot, but do they have the wage space? The may have budgeted for a cheaper replacement.

Depends on cap space surely. They may have an open slot, but do they have the wage space? The may have budgeted for a cheaper replacement.
Tbh we have Frost and Innard but id take LCD to give them guidance for one more season.

1 season on lower money would be win win.

We havnt annouved big signings so maybe some space .

Falcons sign Josh Bainbridge - openside from Coventry.

Add to Leatherbarrow (unless he plays 8), and Pepper signing a 2 year extension...and Collett and young Tiffin...7 is going to be a competitive position.

Signings so far:
Bainbridge - Openside (Coventry)
Murray McCallum - Prop (Edinburgh)
John Kelly - 6/8 (Doncaster),
Ollie Leatherbarrow - 7/8 (Exeter Chiefs)
Tim Cardall - Back 5 (Melbourne Rebels)
Kiran McDonald - Lock (ex-Munster)
Ben Redshaw - Centre (academy graduate)

New Head Coach Alex Codling
and new coaches expected with mark Wilson etc leaving this summer confirmed.

7 is/was definitely an area that Falcons need(ed) the recruitment - was very evident vs Saints that they had no-one at the ruck to try and slow the opposition and/or steal the ball
For a side whose backs would absolutely thrive on the chaos of turnover ball you'd have thought that'd be a big part of the gameplan

Another 5/7 signings to come aswell...plus the coaching overhaul....

Big Changes...

Looks like fearns and Greg Peterson on their way as expected.

Rumours now that Mateo Carreras on his way also.

Falcons have signed 24 year old 12 Cameron Hutchison from Edinburgh. Apparently a hard running 12 but a little injury prone. Great...another Peter Lucock then who he'll probably be replacing.