• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Falcons have signed 24 year old 12 Cameron Hutchison from Edinburgh. Apparently a hard running 12 but a little injury prone. Great...another Peter Lucock then who he'll probably be replacing.
Issue is with Falcons vs Chiefs in signing is that Chiefs have been winners and a top club recently so can attract bigger names more easily, Sarries and tigers even bigger.

Falcons being at the bottom of the table will have to pay more to attract the same players so it will be tough.

The financial issue means the falcons have generally worked on a policy of signing good but injury prone players to try and rehab them. Theres been very limited success in that regards.

What i like about the raft of this summer signings is that they generally dont follow that policy. So its a refreshing change.

We badly need a heavy duty 12 who can carry. Lucock has rarely shown how good he can be as hes just so injury prone...and this lad Hutchison is apparently exactly what we need but cant get in the Edinburgh side as he picks up injuries. Hopefuly this can be one of the rare ones who can be rehabbed

Last edited:
Tom West to Sarries confirmed honestly and not sure why Sarries need him

Also talk that RFU will part find Watson so that Sarries can get him

It sounded to me more like they will tide him through the summer and autumn so that he doesn't get caught up abroad?

I'll be very ****** off if they do what you said tbh

The article I read suggested that the RFU was going to sign him for the RWC so that a Prem club would only have to sign him for the remainder of the season.

I guess see how it plays out on that one

Tom West to Sarries confirmed honestly and not sure why Sarries need him

Also talk that RFU will part find Watson so that Sarries can get him
yeah seems odd... so they now have Bello, Adams-Hale, Clarey, Crean, Flynn, Hislop (whose off), Judge, Mawi, Vunipola, Riccionni and now West as well (plus Warren, Smith & Beaton in Academy)

that's a lot of props to have in the squad. Assume that means one or two must be off from main squad? obviously Hislop is off too. Also i'd imagine West will be on more than Hislop.

The article I read suggested that the RFU was going to sign him for the RWC so that a Prem club would only have to sign him for the remainder of the season.

I guess see how it plays out on that one
Some form of training contract. Apparently a similar offer was made to T'eo in 2019.

He's not a peripheral squad player, but an inked in starter when fit. Pretty sad state of affairs for one of the country's leading players to find himself in.

Watson's been one of the most delusional about rugby salaries over the past few years so my sympathy is limited

He knows if he signs abroad he won't be able to play for England so either negotiate a contract abroad that starts after the world cup (and take the pro rata paycut/be unattached over the summer) or sign for an English club

Cake, eat it, etc

Watson's been one of the most delusional about rugby salaries over the past few years so my sympathy is limited

He knows if he signs abroad he won't be able to play for England so either negotiate a contract abroad that starts after the world cup (and take the pro rata paycut/be unattached over the summer) or sign for an English club

Cake, eat it, etc
Agreed. Still a sorry state of affairs though.

The rule is that players can't be based overseas rather than must be based in England? So could be unattached and still eligible?

Definitely light in the second row, so I'm happy with that

Well that's just stupid unless he knew he was going to fail the medical. I'm assuming he doesn't have a contract with Exeter next season so where does that leave him?
I could still see him ending up in Montpellier, just on less money than he was going to be.

Baxter denying reports that LCD failed to show for part of his medical and that Montpelier have withdrawn the contract offer. They do though remain concerned about his neck damage - think the rules are quite strict over there - and want him back for more tests in a couple of weeks.

Still no timescale on his return to fitness which must be worrying for player, club and country.

Bristol have confirmed their squad for next year:

Jac Lloyd leaving is a loss to them - presumably following Ioan to Wales?

Purdy released is a surprise, you'd imagine he'll have no problem finding a club, but with the way things are atm who knows. If Tigers hadn't signed OHC I could see him fitting in well there - maybe Chiefs?

Also announced Dave Walder as attack coach

Last edited:

Sale legend,
Yellow card affinity aside he's one of the best defenders I've ever seen, and with an insane work rate - pretty sure he had a multi season streak where he was top tackler in the league, and by a fair amount. Even this season he's not far from the top despite not being a first choice starter

Worst kept secret: