• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

**** it, we either get to keep them or get compensation when the bigger clubs come shopping, we've been a conveyor belt for too long.

What did he say that's wrong?
Of course adding high level Euro comp games adds stress to a small squad of dubious quality.
If you're in a relegation battle having to play toulon twice is much worse than the opposition playing some semi pro Romanian side twice.

What did he say that's wrong?
Of course adding high level Euro comp games adds stress to a small squad of dubious quality.
If you're in a relegation battle having to play toulon twice is much worse than the opposition playing some semi pro Romanian side twice.

attacks clubs that make losses at the end. Pretty sure its been a while since Sale broke even?

Apparently the last two years broke even.
When Kennedy sold the club he wrote off all the debts and since then we've been smooth sailing
Mostly through corporate shizniz as our gate is terrible, but the money is still there.
It's not really an attack to say that running a business at a massive loss is a bad thing, he said the same thing about us when we were doing the same, It's why we moved to Salford (much cheaper than using/renovating EP)

Always thought sale would be better finishing outside the champions cup for a season or so instead of finishing at 6th.
Squad hasn't got the depth to play in the champions cup.
The challenge cup allows them to play more youngsters and focus on the prem.

"There's no doubt we can do that. We run a business that doesn't lose any money. The sides that traditionally finish below us lose around £8-9m. We don't lose anything."

he has point still.

Apparently the last two years broke even.
When Kennedy sold the club he wrote off all the debts and since then we've been smooth sailing
Mostly through corporate shizniz as our gate is terrible, but the money is still there.
It's not really an attack to say that running a business at a massive loss is a bad thing, he said the same thing about us when we were doing the same, It's why we moved to Salford (much cheaper than using/renovating EP)

Oh yeah don't get me wrong im not a fan of the clubs running up masses of debt and making huge losses but I believe ya shouldn't fire shots when you aren't squeaky clean.
2013- 2.4m loss
2014- 1.6m loss
2015-1.2m loss
2016-1m loss
presuming 2017 and 18 will be similar/worse with the increased expenditure on playing squad?

Sale fans are of the same opinion tbh,
We always do worse in the league when we're in the champions cup. Squad is too small/quality drops off quite a lot getting to 2nd/3rd choice positions.
Season of stability this year would do us the world of good

Sale fans are of the same opinion tbh,
We always do worse in the league when we're in the champions cup. Squad is too small/quality drops off quite a lot getting to 2nd/3rd choice positions.
Season of stability this year would do us the world of good

Now just need some big ass experianced tight 5 players.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong im not a fan of the clubs running up masses of debt and making huge losses but I believe ya shouldn't fire shots when you aren't squeaky clean.
2013- 2.4m loss
2014- 1.6m loss
2015-1.2m loss
2016-1m loss
presuming 2017 and 18 will be similar/worse with the increased expenditure on playing squad?
Like I said before, all the noise coming out of the club is that we've broken even, at worst.
The new owners/board have put a ton of effort into off field revenue streams (corporate and sponsorship etc.) and are doing really well from it.

I don't think playing costs will have increased ridiculously. Cipriani was our highest paid player, we lost him Ford and Macleod in the same season, And signed macginty and mugford, who combined would have cost less than cipriani.
Stringer + Philips + Mitchell probably don't add up to FdK and Cliff, or at least itd be very close.
Tuitupou, Lund and Mujati (especially - Mujati leaving probably almost covers JOC's salary, as tightheads are the highest paid players in the game apparently) would have been decent earners,
Longbottom probably commanded a decent wage + whatever Sarries paid for the rest of his contract, And we released a number of fringe players this season.

Like I said before, all the noise coming out of the club is that we've broken even, at worst.
The new owners/board have put a ton of effort into off field revenue streams (corporate and sponsorship etc.) and are doing really well from it.

I don't think playing costs will have increased ridiculously. Cipriani was our highest paid player, we lost him Ford and Macleod in the same season, And signed macginty and mugford, who combined would have cost less than cipriani.
Stringer + Philips + Mitchell probably don't add up to FdK and Cliff, or at least itd be very close.
Tuitupou, Lund and Mujati (especially - Mujati leaving probably almost covers JOC's salary, as tightheads are the highest paid players in the game apparently) would have been decent earners,
Longbottom probably commanded a decent wage + whatever Sarries paid for the rest of his contract, And we released a number of fringe players this season.

Fair. Be interesting to see the next report

Andrew Deegan Waraths to Connacht presumably to replace Boshoff who has been released on compassionate grounds. They seriously need some answer at out half

Is it just me or do prem teams seem to be focussing a lot more on backs this season? There's going to be some really great backlines lining up against each other.

Is it just me or do prem teams seem to be focussing a lot more on backs this season? There's going to be some really great backlines lining up against each other.

May be there's something in these new scrum laws and others?

Akker van der Merwe
Lions to Sharks

Last edited:
Excellent signings from us. Wonder if the two rumoured Super Rugby signings will be announced today.