• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] England v France 11 March 2023. Kickoff 16:45

Borthwick has publicly said England are bottom of the stats in every feature of international rugby such as the scrum, turnovers, etc etc. That's how much they have to turn around.

Won't happen in 5 games.

Get through the world Cup.. bring in new faces

A new tighthead is crucial who can actually do things away from the scrum.
Ted hill or George Martin at 6 for real power
Decide on the 10 once and for all...maybe Finn Smith or someone Comes in to the equation

Bring in a proper 12 hopefully Kelly or the 6'4 Olly Hartley can make that position theirs and move Lawrence to his actual 13 position ...get shot of Slade once and for all.

Have a power option on the wing...get Malins away from this squad.

Decide if we want a brick wall reliability with issues of pace in defence with Steward or the explosive Arundel at 15...

Post World Cup will

Lots of posts and pundits going on about the lack of size in the English pack and the size of the French pack. This is not correct take Williamse out of that pack and
England are bigger and heavier in all other spots.
Dombrandt for example is about a stone and 2 inches taller than Aldritt. It obvious to me that teams are fitter, better coached and the big one more aggressive. We could have 20 stone monsters throughout the pack, if they can't run and don't have the right mentality size is pointless. France for example would of put out far bigger packs that yesterday in the past 15 years, however they didn't have the fitness or right mentality.
I saw Willis, Steward and Dombrandt just give up chasing yesterday. These are non negotiables at this level. They show poor coaching a level of mental discipline and poor fitness.
England should of appointed Shaun Edwards instead of Borthwick. At least under him we would of been organised, fit and no talent elements of our rugby would be far better. Aggression, preparation and fitness are all freebies at this level.
Players that need to be replaced
Sinkler, the fire has gone bin him to see if it comes back
Ludlam whole hearted but average at best at this level
Dombrandt not fit or strong enough for this level. I've always been a huge fan.
Jvp needs to go away and work on his game. Is far too often late or on the wrong side of the ruck
Farrel, not of international standard anymore
Malins not of international standard

Players to keep but need to seriously look at parts of their game
Slade needs to offer much more than he is at the minute. Needs to improve work rate
Steward, fabulous under high ball but gets gassed way too often. He is caught of position way too often.

Players to bring in

Underhill when fit and concussion free
Tom Curry when fit
Ted Hill is a must
Mercer needs to brought in now, not after the rwc
Tom Willis
Joel Kpoku
More grunt in pack
Would love to see a proper gameplan.
What was the point of bringing Evans in if the SH is not getting the ball away quickly.
Two options for next week
1) play pressure
So pick big pack, Farrell at 10, Arundell, Watson, Malins as back 3, with Lawrence and Slade in midfield
2) play fast
Big front 5 with mobile BR, Mitchell at 9, Smith 10, midfield of Lawrence and Marchant, back 3 of Watson Freeman and Arundell

I may be wrong but I don't think Eddie had so far to go to get a better tune.

Lancasters demise wasn't entirely his own doing whereas Eddie's pretty much was.

That's a really tough one to process for England, there were a lot of mediocre performances by England players, but not many were really poor as you'd maybe expect with a drubbing like that.

France were just sensational in everything they did. Their kicking game was sublime, as was their work at the breakdown. They have an awesome blend of power and mobility up front which England couldn't cope with.

The really impressive thing is that Ntamack didn't even properly get into the game at 10, they almost didn't need him, with Dupont, Ramos and Fikou running thd show yesterday. I said at the time that losing to Ireland was good for France and I think this showed it.

England are in a tough place, and like Wales the WC is going to come too soon. But with the player numbers they have I don't see it being a long term issue. Not at all sure about Borthwick though, like Pivac I don't think the one ***le success is a true representation of his abilities.

More grunt in pack
Would love to see a proper gameplan.
What was the point of bringing Evans in if the SH is not getting the ball away quickly.
Two options for next week
1) play pressure
So pick big pack, Farrell at 10, Arundell, Watson, Malins as back 3, with Lawrence and Slade in midfield
2) play fast
Big front 5 with mobile BR, Mitchell at 9, Smith 10, midfield of Lawrence and Marchant, back 3 of Watson Freeman and Arundell
Steward was the one player who actually put in a shift yesterday and you want to drop him?

The ones that stand out to me that need to go away and have a rethink are;

Sinckler - shadow of his former self
Slade - seems to have lost a yard of pace and getting caught out defensively a lot

Players who need dropping;

Dombrandt - not up to international standard
Malins - he's not winger, and defensively a lot happens down his wing
JVP - he was appalling yesterday. Calling for box kicks and slowing the game. Always taking a step before passing leaving no one in any form of space.

Players who I think are bench players at best:

Ludlam - I would have in the 20 shirt

Players who we are missing, or have the potential to fit in.
Underhill and T Curry really are missed. But we have other players who can fill those roles.
I don't think OHC was really given the chance and would have him in over Malins. Murley, Freeman or Radwan could also fit in there potentially.
Kelly would be a nice option at 12 with Lawrence outside him.

England need to view this years WC as a free hit out like France did in 2019 and re-build a team that can compete at the highest level. over the next 2-4 years.

It was pretty pathetic yesterday. Not many players came out with much credit, I thought Steward went OK but also highlighted the defensive weaknesses in his game. I thought Itoje had one of better recent games but it's hard to give anyone much credit and equally flame anyone as it was full squad capitulation the likes I can't remember seeing the national side suffer.

We've gone a bit Australia in our forwards, favouring players with an all court game rather than focusing on their primary set piece roles. Someone commented previously how commentators and pundits were commenting how much bigger and heavier the French pack were when in reality man for man minus Wilemse England were heavier.

I expect Smith might get hung out to dry for yesterday with a high percentage of fans and armchair coaches but shouldn't IMO. JVP has been pretty poor this nations and the amount of time he's taking while it could be team orders but he's being targeted for his lack of awareness and speed around the ruck. England looked OK at time when they put a bit of pace on it yesterday, Ireland kept the ball in play a lot longer than France are used to and it paid off, England just kicked aimlessly and France lapped it up.

We just don't seem to have the players at the minute, so that needs looked at bottom up. Not sure what the answer is, central contracts, allowing foreign based players to play aboard doesn't strike me as the best thing for a national side. Need to bring young English players through and look after them hence why I tend to like the idea of central contracts where their game load is managed. The premiership is as competitive as I can ever remember it but the salary cap will show just how far behind the French and Irish sides their going to be over the next few years.

I know why people are calling for Sincklers replacement but who are you replacing him with? Remember the bench option is Dan Cole.
Yeah we're pretty ****** at tighthead

There's the guy at Newcastle who's name I forget,
Nick Schonert could/should be in the mix
Balmain in fine scrummaging form at Gloucester
Not the most inspiring bunch tbf

Yeah we're pretty ****** at tighthead

There's the guy at Newcastle who's name I forget,
Nick Schonert could/should be in the mix
Balmain in fine scrummaging form at Gloucester
Not the most inspiring bunch tbf
Trevor Davison..at least he grafts his ass off away from the scrum...

Goes without saying, that the WC is still a long way off and a lot can change in that time, though. I still expect England to get to a semi final given the favourable draw.
Not really...3 WC warm up games in july...

I'm amazed you got through Woodward's pre match analysis. Definitely skip past Alphonsi if you make it that far.
Fast forwarded through all that sh*te - don't even watch the pre-match stuff live, no way I'm watching it on catch-up

Willis has been really poor - we sure he's not a double agent sent by the FRU via Toulouse?

The XV we put out yesterday was far from the best to have ever worn the rose. But we should never be hammered by anyone like that at home. Ever. A bad beating by Ire and Borthwick and Sinfield will start to look like Liz and Kwasi hot on the heels of Jones' Boris.

Of those on duty yesterday.

Genge will have better days. Least of our problems, but arguments that VRR or even Marler would be more of what we need right now.

George. No serious alternatives. Solid enough but not a point of difference player at this level now. Wouldn't be a Lions player these days.

Sinckler has his moments, but the rage has gone and with it much of his effectiveness. 5 missed tackles and 3 pens against yesterday. Again, no serious alternatives.

We've heard about his changed role and health issues but Itoje is an experienced player who ought to be providing a real lead. Looks underpowered and hasn't performed to his reputation for ages. Time to give him a break to reenergise.

Chessum looks to be there for the long haul.

Ludlam is whole hearted but limited. Just keeping the shirt warm for someone else.

Willis was disappointing yesterday, but worth persevering with. Remains to be seen whether he can really nail down a starting shirt.

Dombrandt unfortunately doesn't look to have the required fitness or physicality. Mercer's shirt for the taking.

Lawes, T Curry Underhill and LCD were all missing and might have made a bit of a difference. The physicality of Hill and Martin will surely come into consideration after this tournament. Pearson and CCS will probably be closely looked at too.

When your pack's beaten up it's a tough gig for the backs. But even so.

Really don't know what to make of 9. Lots of young promising players most of whom are still pretty wet behind the ears at club level let alone internationally. JVP doesn't seem to have kicked on from Aus unfortunately. If we genuinely want to play high tempo than Randall's probably as good an option as any. Didn't help JVP that he was up against the best in the world yesterday.

The Smith selection failed. He was swimming uphill from the start, but didn't make the most of it either. Don't quite know where Borthwick goes from here but he should keep Smith for Ire to avoid killing his confidence and to make it look like he's got a semblance of a plan. If Ford can get back to anything like then he's probably our most balanced option.

Watson's fine but some ball in space would be nice.

Lawrence will have learned a lot yesterday but definitely worth persevering with.

Slade hasn't been great this year and looks like a luxury player at the moment. I'd have picked Daly if he'd been fit. Marchant doesn't seem to be trusted. When Manu's available I can now see Borthwick knee jerking to a Manu / Lawrence combo.

Like Dombrandt, Malins simply falls short at this level. Decent footballer but neither the pace, power nor devil for an international wing.

Steward's fine and was one of the few to stand up yesterday.

Mako's shot

Walker's not trusted

Cole did what Cole does but it's not really enough any more

Ribbans should be given a start v Ire. Not because he's done anything brilliant but because Itoje doesn't deserve to.

Surely Earl or Simmonds would be better suited to a sub role than B Curry.

Mitchell at least brings energy, if not control.

Farrell. Not really a bench guy. We know exactly what he can and can't do.

Arundell needs time and experience, but let's give him his head v Ire and see if he swims.

There are lots of reasons behind yesterday's result but Jones was right in that the harem scarem basketball stuff we see from some clubs in the prem isn't great preparation for the international game.
You make a very interesting point about Sinckler. Yes he was a liability at one time with his temperament but it's almost like he's completely gone the other way. He's literally the polar opposite now. He's almost too calm. I'm sure he does care but it just looks like he doesn't give a **** anymore. He's certainly playing like it.

Collapsed maul at like 19:30 - French tighthead pretends to fall over a ruck and punches Chessum in the face - right in front of the touch judge as well

Latest posts