• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

3 Players You Would "Steal" For Your Countries Starting XV

Bismarck du Plessis, David Pocock and Dan Carter

A pack including BdP, Cole, Launchbury, Robshaw and Pocock would destroy the breakdown.

Also, although not a massive fan of his, I think Jamie Roberts would be very effective in this England squad. His physicality is lost in a sea of giant backs in the Welsh backline, but in the much smaller English backline, his physicality and defensive qualities would be a major asset. I just wouldn't want him playing off of Farrell.

I'll swap Jamie Roberts for Dan Cole if you want.

I'd like Dan Cole, Wesley Fofana and Noa Naitaci to be drafted into the Welsh squad.
Cole for the obvious reason we are short in the prop department and I reckon Jenkins and Cole would be as good as any prop pair.
Fofana for his creativity, don't think France play to his strength.
Naitaci for his raw speed and power, give him enough decent ball and he will flourish.

I'd do a list like this for Scotland, but I hardly see the point in doing the Scottish Rugby Union's work for them...

I'd do a list like this for Scotland, but I hardly see the point in doing the Scottish Rugby Union's work for them...

If you were up for 'Best poster' or 'Best SH poster' you'd have mine. Oh, wait..

The Scotland RU should rather employ locals from the places they wish to recruit from.. so.. you can pay me a recruitment fee if you like and I'll help. For instance, SRU, you got the wrong Strauss brother- Seth Strauss, the younger brother was the hardest I've ever been tackled. Last I heard he was playing fringe football in the US. Not as big as Josh but faster and dare I say harder.

thats a good one mate....

It's okay scotty. The kiwis are just enjoying the eyes being off them on the player poaching front.

Also kidding before people start throwing hordes of stats at me.

Aus are the worse in the SH ATM.

Australia becoming the Scotland of the South?

Except they are actually good at rugby I guess so nothing like Scotland.

Ouch. TBF to Scotland though they have actually managed to beat SA a few times in living memory.

3 Players You Would "Steal" For Your Countries Starting XV

Ouch. TBF to Scotland though they have actually managed to beat SA a few times in living memory.

5 times in 25 games within a time span of 109 years. last time was 2010 then 2002 then the next time was 1965.

5 times in 25 games within a time span of 109 years. last time was 2010 then 2002 then the next time was 1965.

Exactly. I was having a lighthearted little dig towards England though. My delivery is not always that well structured.

I'd +1 you for digging that up but I've just +1ed you already.

Last edited:
My first instinct is Nonu since 12 is obviously the glaring issue in the England side. Although someone mentioned Toomua as well, not a bad shout, I really rate him, but thinking about it I'll take Nonu's power, I think we need it more than Toomua's distribution.

Secondly I'd take Connor Murray, surprised no-one's mentioned him yet. Scrum half is another problem position for me (I really don't trust Youngs) and he's class. Between him and Smith, I think I'll take him for his kicking game, which would take the pressure off Ford.

Finally, Louw. We lack a world class 6, only we don't because we've got one playing at 7 so a world class 7 and move Robshaw across sorts it out. It was between the three fetchers Louw, Pocock and McCaw, maybe my Bath bias is showing a bit but I think he'd fit the Lancaster system best of those three since as well as his breakdown work he can also tackle ad infinitum, link play and get around the pitch. He and Robshaw can be half a jumper each and Lancs will just have to live with it.

B du Plessis, Matt Giteau, Dan Cole

Need a hooker, a creative 12, a back up 10 and a very good three, this covers all the gaps rather nicely.

My picks for Ireland would be Cole, Etzebeth to partner POC and give some real carrying power to the pack and a centre to replace Jared Payne but not sure who and whether Henshaw's better moved out or kept where he is.

Is Cole actually thought of as the best tighthead in the world?

NZ and Manu Samoa fan here

As an AB fan of Samoan descent (99% of us Samoan NZers support both!)

I'd say for the ABs, we'd have maybe:
Etzebeth to pair up with Rettalick
Nemani Nadolo, for true overkill
Faf De Klerk, I think he is a dark horse top 5 halfback in the world.

For the Manu:
Carl Hayman - need a prop who can get round the park and I still think he's great
Will Skelton - tough, abrasive, plays tight, lock is a long term weakness for the Manu
Nick Evans - Highlanders legend (or Conrad Smith, for distribution, organisation, and midfield general)

Apologies in advance to the NH fans, I only watch NH rugby on the ABs tour and I have tried to support my NH team France but they're one of the most difficult teams to support.. and this is coming from an Otago/Highlander fan. I know names like Robshaw, North, Halfpenny, Gray, but my knowledge of NH players is limited to the older players like BoD, ROG, Stephen Jones, David Humphries, Lewis Moody, Sergio Parisse etc.

Also - is it a possibility that Nasi Manu and Ben Tameifuna play for Tonga this world cup?

Also - is it a possibility that Nasi Manu and Ben Tameifuna play for Tonga this world cup?

It is possible - but I believe Tameifuna is going to France to play for Racing Metro and see if he can get a French jersey in three years time. Nasi Manu is doing the same thing in Scotland. So I don't think either of them see Tonga as the best option, which is a bit of a shame that this sort of thing is happening..

Scrumbum - Going for experience with Samoa I see! ... and welcome to the board.

Is Cole actually thought of as the best tighthead in the world?

If not him, who? Owen Franks and Dave Wilson are his only two contenders right now as I make it, with apologies to whichever Georgian maestro in the Top 14 I've passed over in my ignorance.

Latest posts