• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

3 Players You Would "Steal" For Your Countries Starting XV

Haha, I don't actually think Afoa is the best in the world. (I wanted to put a smiley to show I was being tounge-in-cheek, but we can't use them in this board. :( *HINT HINT*) BUT I do think that he's been better than Cole in the Premiership this season, mainly for his performances in the loose. So that's why I'm surprised that people make Cole out to be the best in the world.

One guy consistently performs at international level, the other quit it four years ago as a bench player; shouldn't be a surprise.

And yeah, we need smilies.

Toomua is a serious talent but Fofana is arguably the best 12 in the world.

What, better than Burrell?!

But seriously folks, I think he's absolutely class, I just think France don't use his brilliance well enough. The question is not necessarily about who is the best in their position, but who could add the most to the team, and France have a serious problem in the centres because, for all Fofana's skill and for all Bastareaud's power* neither really has any sort of passing game.either with Toomua would be a better balance, and Fofana is easily the better player.

Playing him at 13 is maybe a flyer, I can see the argument that no professional coach has done so why would some muppet on a forum know more than them, but it just makes perfect sense to me.

* or his ability to impersonate a tighthead, or his hair or whatever people see in Bastareaud...

What, better than Burrell?!

But seriously folks, I think he's absolutely class, I just think France don't use his brilliance well enough. The question is not necessarily about who is the best in their position, but who could add the most to the team, and France have a serious problem in the centres because, for all Fofana's skill and for all Bastareaud's power* neither really has any sort of passing game.either with Toomua would be a better balance, and Fofana is easily the better player.

Playing him at 13 is maybe a flyer, I can see the argument that no professional coach has done so why would some muppet on a forum know more than them, but it just makes perfect sense to me.

* or his ability to impersonate a tighthead, or his hair or whatever people see in Bastareaud...
I think most people think he looks like a 13, but for some reason in the 12 channel he glides through opponents. Maybe put Joseph at 13, both the same type of player but he looks for the pass more often than Fofana.

He does, I haven't seen him in the 13 channel but I suspect he'd do it just as well if not better, especially with a quality 12 to create the space.

Fofana-Joseph would be a sight to behold though, Jesus Christ, you've almost given me an erection there. Imagine if Bath signed Fofana, oh God yes!!

OP said take three players for the World Cup, I chose to interpret this as 3 players to give your side the best chance of winning the World Cup. Maybe I'm spiteful, I'd like to think I'm just competitive and capable of thinking outside the box! ;)

I did think about some really dirty tricks like the one you mention - the idea of picking NZ's top three hookers crossed my mind fleetingly, but putting all your eggs in one basket still leaves two matches that England won't be massive favourites in and one in which they'll be underdogs, hence my choice to cross fingers and hope the pool games come off.

I think you have a great idea for new post, how about which 5 players would you like to bar from the WC with a maximum of 2 from any single Nation.

Sigh. Maybe that wasn't as clear as I'd thought. I was (jokingly) expressing frustration that a premise letting you bar certain players was being used to exclude Clark rather than players who would contribute the most against you.

For France: Retallick, to partner Maestri, Barrett/Pollard to solve our endless flyhalf woes (wouldn't mind keeping either one for the next decade after the WC too), and Savea, because we need to score more tries, simple as that.

Barrett isn't the one to solve them IMO, he's too hot and cold and doesn't really have composure. I think he has the x factor for sure and is a great playmaker though. I would say Lima Sopoaga would be a better bet for France number 10, he is calmer and safer but not as good running and taking on the line.

Sigh. Maybe that wasn't as clear as I'd thought. I was (jokingly) expressing frustration that a premise letting you bar certain players was being used to exclude Clark rather than players who would contribute the most against you.

I got it.

Doing it properly, I'd get rid of Roberts, Sexton and McCaw.

For Ireland, I would take :

Ma'a Nonu (NZ)
Mike Brown (England)
Conrad Smith (NZ)

I'm surprised at that following the weekend. Creevy was and is immense, best hooker in the world in my view, but your pack were better across the board apart from that maul defence issue. Including in the scrum.

If I was doing France I think I'd choose a distributing centre as Bastareaud-Fofana seriously lacks passing. I have always felt Fofana seems a natural 13, so maybe Toomua and shift Fofana out.

I honestly think somethings not right with the Argentina scrum atm. Either they were holding back and not looking to place a mark for us on their pack before the WC pool game or one of their locks or another important player is out. They flat out dominated last year until the subs came on against the Boks and AB's. Out forwards will always be better out of the set piece other than Creevy but when you get to WC games the set piece becomes very important. These run up games while they give you a yardstick I dont believe for one minute that was Argentinas best effort against us on the weekend.

I fully expect Australia to get worked over pretty badly this weekend....

For Ireland, I would take :

Ma'a Nonu (NZ)
Mike Brown (England)
Conrad Smith (NZ)

I can understand the choice of centres, but Brown? Kearney is arguably better and certainly suits our game plan a lot better.

I can understand the choice of centres, but Brown? Kearney is arguably better and certainly suits our game plan a lot better.

And there's better full-backs out there to replace him with too. I mean, I believe Kearney's pretty honkingly overrated, but then so's Brown...

Ireland with Israel Folau would be pretty interesting.

For Italy (as I haven't seen one yet)
A.Smith as they don't have any good 9s.
Halfpenny as they could finally make their scrum advantage pay.
Carter as they would have a great playmaker, they don't have bad backs but the 10 is never up to standard.

They need a dangerous ball carrier like Izzy Folau, Damian de Allende, Nonu or someone like that

They need a dangerous ball carrier like Izzy Folau, Damian de Allende, Nonu or someone like that
Italy have players which can sparkle in attack occasionally but they need better defenders people who can defend well and attack is what italy need so I agree with @Conrad Smith they can do with Israel Folau I think McLean is good but sometime's he's too slow and is poor at tackling for a fullback. Sarto is really good in attack when given space but his tackling also lets him down, So someone abit like Savea would do well. Lastly Italy needs a key defence organiser, Parisse is a good leader but with Italy not really up to his standards they can do with someone else who can organise the defence so maybe Richie McCaw or David Pocock.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts