• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which referee would you like to see ref the World Cup final, imagining your team

bw245

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
For me it would have to be either Owens or Joubert. Owens is fair, consistent and allows a free flowing game. He has no interest in being the star of the show and is a great role model for future referees.
Joubert for the simple reason that Ireland seem to understand the way he referees and we've worked well with him before. I don't think he's as good as Owens but he's up there with the best.

I definitely wouldn't like to see Barnes refereeing Ireland (or any team). I re watched the full Wales vs Ireland six nations match last night as there was nothing on TV, and apart from making ridiculous calls (on both sides), he is just a very rude and obnoxious referee. Sean O'Brien was trying to tell Barnes (SOB using "sir" to address Barnes) that Wales were off their feet, and whether they were or weren't is irrelevant now, but he tells O'Brien to be quiet. He simply could've ignored him but he has to be the centre of attention in my opinion. 100% my least fav referee. It would nearly be a good thing for Ireland to get England in a semi final, just so there would be no chance of Barnes refereeing.

JP Doyle would be one of my picks, but he's an RFU ref (despite being Irish) so it can't happen.
I would've been happy to see Barnes, as well, if he weren't English.

Agree on your with Owens or Joubert - both can have shockers, but for the most part are very good.
As long as Peyper isn't knocking about I'm happy.

JP Doyle would be one of my picks, but he's an RFU ref (despite being Irish) so it can't happen.
I would've been happy to see Barnes, as well, if he weren't English.

Agree on your with Owens or Joubert - both can have shockers, but for the most part are very good.
As long as Peyper isn't knocking about I'm happy.

Thought you'd say Peyper. Have to agree and say his game wasn't great at the weekend. He can be good at times, but had a rough one at the weekend.

Thought you'd say Peyper. Have to agree and say his game wasn't great at the weekend. He can be good at times, but had a rough one at the weekend.
Haha, yeah. I don't think he was that bad on the weekend, to be fair, I just don't rate him that highly - give him the 3rd place game or something.

Easily Owens by far the ref you always feel least angry with after your side has lost, even when he can't tell a ball has clearly backwards after a knock on.

After that it mainly becomes a mucking fuddle.

Probably Joubert or Nigel Owens.

anyone really. except Barnes. who doesn't know **** from shinola about refereeing. he's terribly inconsistent and he seems like one of the most likely referees to decide a result according to how he feels that day.

Last edited:
It has to be Owens who gets the final. Just can't justify anyone else getting it. Imagine Barnes reffing it with Clancy and Gauzere as touch judges looooool

If the Boksk doesn't make it to the final, then I'd like to see Joubert get his 2nd final in row at a World Cup. Otherwise I'd like to see Nigel Owens or Glenn Jackson get the final.

Here's a dangerous point...if England don't get to the final what are the chances that Barnes will be the ref? I'd say fairly high for political side of putting someone from host nation in charge and he has high level of experience (international games in charge).

Not saying Barnes is bad ref but a lot people don't like him....

If we're in it? Craig Joubert.
If we're not? Lesego Legoete.

Anyone of them will do their best and be gloried by the winners and vilified ad infinitum by the losers! They unlike the finalists cannot win...,..

If we're in it? Craig Joubert.
If we're not? Lesego Legoete.

HAHAHA!!

Pro Legoete!! He has been demoted so many times, I doubt he'll ever blow another international game again. He doesn't even blow Currie Cup matches anymore. He's usually a touch judge...

Well I'd prefer Owens or any of and I know many people don't like them but Walsh, Pollock or Jackson I wouldn't mind either. Pity Walsh isn't part of the panel though. I can't imagine how he can be rated as less of a competent referee than some of the clowns they have on there.

SA does have Owens in the pool stages (vs Scotland). BUT we also have Barnes and two French refs (Garces and Gauzere) and all French referees have something of a reputation amongst SA fans and for good reason.

I'd like Steve Walsh in the group game V England but sadly he's not on the list. and John Lacey or Glen Jackson in the final (As that means Ireland or New Zealand aren't in the final)

Nigel Owens, or Jaco Peyper.

Hope Wayne Barnes doesn't get anywhere near us.

Joubert is pretty good.

I think South Africa have had the best refs over the years.

Last edited:

Latest posts