• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which referee would you like to see ref the World Cup final, imagining your team

Barnes ain't a cheat, I reckon he thinks too highly of himself and attempts not to cave into criticism but goes overboard continuing to make the same mistakes. Love it when he refs Leinster, a solid 3-5 point advantage.

Nigel Owens; the world's top referee by the length of the home straight!

But in reality, anyone but Barnes no matter who makes the final. He has learned nothing from his shocker in 2007 (ask Ireland and Scotland) and continues to make the same mistakes over and over

Last edited:
Nigel Owens; the world's top referee by the length of the home straight!

But in reality, anyone but Barnes no matter who makes the final. He has learned nothing from his shocker in 2007 (ask Ireland and Scotland) and continues to make the same mistakes over and over

Owens is the most overrated man involved in the sport. Barnes is a better referee than him, and there's some utter dross officiating at this tournament, such as Clancy who is without doubt the worst on the elite panel, or Poite who has serious deficiencies. Such is how bad the panel is I wouldn't be happy with any, but there are a few less worse options than Owens.

Owens is fair, consistent and allows a free flowing game. He has no interest in being the star of the show and is a great role model for future referees.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Last edited:
Owens is the most overrated man involved in the sport. Barnes is a better referee than him, and there's some utter dross officiating at this tournament, such as Clancy who is without doubt the worst on the elite panel, or Poite who has serious deficiencies. Such is how bad the panel is I wouldn't be happy with any, but there are a few less worse options than Owens.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Barnes.... Better than Owens.... Didn't realise it was April Fools Day...

George Clancy. A proud Munsterman to do final. If Ireland get to final Nige or Joubert

Glad I'm not the only person who feels that way.

It's casual fans who think good banter = good referee. He's also the only referee who's a strong presence on the after dinner speaking circuit, which means he mingles with ex players/pundits and friendly with them, so they repeat that he can do no wrong and people lap it up.

The idea that a referee who has YouTube hits of his one liners, names an entire after dinner speaking tour after one of them and sells t-shirts with 'this is not soccer', and has a highly active media presence isn't one who quite enjoys a bit of attention and the limelight is a fanciful one as well.

He's not even the best Munsterman referee in the tournament.

He's not even in top 5 in Munster. In saying that I like Lacey. I think he doesn't get enough credit. I haven't seen much of English refs but JP Doyle was building a nice rep. How is he going over there now?

It's casual fans who think good banter = good referee. He's also the only referee who's a strong presence on the after dinner speaking circuit, which means he mingles with ex players/pundits and friendly with them, so they repeat that he can do no wrong and people lap it up.

The idea that a referee who has YouTube hits of his one liners, names an entire after dinner speaking tour after one of them and sells t-shirts with 'this is not soccer', and has a highly active media presence isn't one who quite enjoys a bit of attention and the limelight is a fanciful one as well.

I think all of these things are awesome, good on him for making a go of it.

Still is the top rugby ref imo, and I would be happy for him to ref the final over anyone.

Can't think of many referees who position themselves in the way of players as much as Nigel Owens..

Not literally a cheat, but the mind frame he's going into matches is not right (Barnes).

Owens should get the final anyway, deserves it.

Latest posts