ncurd

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
AKA what NZ players would you take ;)

Okay it was an interesting suggestion so we may as well have it.

If you could have 3 players from any other country playing for your country who would you have. I've caveated this with starting XV as it's a little more interesting than looking for bench players. Also may as well make it for this world cup so your less worried about impending retirements.

For England I'd have

15 = Leigh Halfpenny: His kicking is superb and is just a good a fullback as Brown. More importantly it means we don't have to select Farrell just for kicking duties and worry about Ford.
12 = Sonny Bill Williams: A toss up between him an Nonu personally I think this guy would compliment Ford and Joseph wonderfully
7 = Richie McCaw: No I wouldn't drop Robshaw I just moved him to the blindside. More importantly I want a guy exceptional at creating turnovers so I may as well have the best.

Full starting lineup (assuming all fit and playing their best)

15 1/2p
14 Rokonuguni
13 Joseph
12 SBW
11 Nowell
10 Ford
9 Youngs
8 Morgan
7 McCaw
6 Robshaw
5 Lawes
4 Launchberry
3 Cole
2 Youngs
1 Corbs

For the Pumas: 1- Ma'a Nonu, 2- Israel Folau, 3- Julian Savea. Yeah, we need POWER at the backline

1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Agustin Creevy
3 Ramiro Herrera
4 Manuel Carizza
5 Tomas Lavanini
6 Juan Fernandez Lobbe
7 Pablo Matera
8 Juan Leguizamon
9 Tomas Cubelli
10 Juan Martin Hernandez
11 Julian Savea
12 Ma'a Nonu

13 Marcelo Bosch
14 Juan Imhoff
15 Israel Folau

Last edited:
7 = Richie McCaw: No I wouldn't drop Robshaw I just moved him to the blindside. More importantly I want a guy exceptional at creating turnovers so I may as well have the best.

But you didn't say David Pocock :p

My list would be

1) Ma'a Nonu (or Toomua if I want a distributing 12)
2) Kieran Read/Duane Vermeulen - stick Billy Vunipola at 6, job's a good 'un
3) I was gonna say BdP, as we're a bit short at hooker and he looks to be at his best, or maybe Aaron Smith because I don't trust our scrum-halves, but the tactic of stealing the world's best placekicker has a lot of merit so I'll say Halfpenny as well - save I'd play him on the wing and keep Brown.

1) Louw. Best player for our system combined with offloading and fetching.
2) Toomua. 12 who can run, tackle and pass. Classy player.
3) Nadolo. This guy can't be stopped. Has limitations but his carrying presence in our backline would be invaluable.

Interesting question. I think first and foremost South Africa could use a lethal weapon on the wing. Habana is past his prime, JP is limited, Hendricks is an awful tackler. Having a wing like Julian Savea would be a phenomenal addition.

We could really use a scrum half that is consistent, gives quick delivery and makes smart decisions esp in regards to kicking. Aaron Smith would be perfect there.

We could also use someone to run our lineout, Matfield is a legend but is past his prime and is starting for the Boks out of neccessity, injuries have also tested our depth at second row. Adding Sam Whitelock would be nice.

So Whitelock at 5, Smith at 9 and Savea at 11. So really I just want three ABs lol.

As a fan of Canada I'd probably add Bismark du Plessis at hooker, David Pocock at 7 and Jonathan Sexton at 10. BDP would give our front row some added grunt and would help us be more physical in the loose. Pocock would help us at the breakdown and cause turnovers. Sexton would give us a reliable kicker and an experienced presence at one of the most important positions.

Nonu - 12 has been a problem position for us for a while now, and a 9,10,12,13 combo of B Youngs, Ford, Nonu and Joseph has so many running threats, plus both centres are good distributors.

Savea - Would complement Nowell well, ones a line breaking finisher and the other is a well rounded work horse.

Pocock/McCaw/Louw - Shoft Robshaw to 6 as others stated, and then I'd be happy with any of these three at 7.

Wanted BdP and A. Smith too but I felt like they were less pressing concerns.

I'll just take the 3 Smiths, thank you. Precision technique and solid decision making = pure class.

1 Tendai Mtawarira
2 Bismarck du Plessis
3 Vincent Koch
4 Eben Etzebeth
5 Pieter-Steph du Toit
6 Francois Louw
7 Willem Alberts
8 Duane Vermeulen
9 Aaron Smith
10 Handre Pollard
11 Bryan Habana
12 Jean de Villiers
13 Conrad Smith
14 Willie le Roux
15 Ben Smith

Last edited:
Bismarck du Plessis, David Pocock and Dan Carter

A pack including BdP, Cole, Launchbury, Robshaw and Pocock would destroy the breakdown.

Also, although not a massive fan of his, I think Jamie Roberts would be very effective in this England squad. His physicality is lost in a sea of giant backs in the Welsh backline, but in the much smaller English backline, his physicality and defensive qualities would be a major asset. I just wouldn't want him playing off of Farrell.

B du Plessis, Matt Giteau, Dan Cole

Need a hooker, a creative 12, a back up 10 and a very good three, this covers all the gaps rather nicely.

I'd take:

Bismarck du Plessis
Adam Ashley-Cooper
Nemani Nadolo (bench impact player)

The three players i would take for Scotland

1.) Al Dickinson
2.) Ross Ford
3.) Geoff Cross
4.) Grant Gilchrist
5.) Jonny Gray
6.) Adam Ashe
7.) Richie McCaw (We don't have a lot off players with good leadership)
8.) David Denton
9.) Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
10.) Finn Russell
11.) Julian Savea (Apart from Tommy Seymour we don't have wingers who regularly score tries so Savea would help there)
12.) Matt Giteau (Hard to leave Alex Dunbar out but to be honest he is not a play-making centre which we need and for me Giteau is a good play-maker)
13.) Mark Bennett
14.) Tommy Seymour
15.) Stuart Hogg

T
12.) Matt Giteau (Hard to leave Alex Dunbar out but to be honest he is not a play-making centre which we need and for me Giteau is a good play-maker)

How is Matt Scott rehabbing from his (shoulder?) injury?

Jerome Kaino, Malaki Fekitoa's, and Waisake Naholo ... Oh no, wait a minute ... :)

Well, after this rugby world cup...

Wesley Fofana - 31 come the RWC - I think would do well got the All Blacks style of play.
Adrian Strauss - Rate him pretty highly, and he won't be too old come the next RWC.
Cian Healy - we're short on loose heads. Decent scrummager with a good work rate. Will be 31 come the next RWC. Think he seems like a total dick, but I'd probably pick him.

How is Matt Scott rehabbing from his (shoulder?) injury?

Who?

This?

150721062925357699.jpg

Or this?

150721062923972420.jpg

At the moment I would say the beast Mtawarira, Etzebeth and Pocock(after the world cup).

In all honesty, I think I'd only look at replacing some in the tight 5 in the AB's. Especially loose and tightheads. Coles is pretty awesome.

Last edited:
At the moment I would say the beast Mtawarira, Etzebeth and Pocock(after the world cup).

In all honesty, I think I'd only look at replacing some in the tight 5 in the AB's. Especially loose and tightheads. Coles is pretty awesome.

Thanks for another red.

Here's another lesson, the beast is too old as a front row for pace and as for Etzebeth or Pocock.... as replacement for who?

Have to be Bismark as Hooker and Thompson as flank and sexton as a defensive kicker/goal kicker.

Savea - enough said.

Pocock - Move Robshaw to 6 and OMG back Row.

Nonu - prefect fit for JJ and Ford IMO.

A team of
1) Marler, 2) Youngs, 3) Cole
4) Launchbuy, 5) Lawes
6) Robshaw, 7) Pocock, 8) Vunipola
9) Youngs, 10) Ford
12) Nonu, 13) JJ
11) Savea, 14) Nowell, 15) Brown

Latest posts