• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

3 Players You Would "Steal" For Your Countries Starting XV

Parisse is a fantastic player, but 8 is one of our strongest positions - I'd say it's the only position where we have 2 world class players (billy and Ben) except perhaps 13 (JJ and Tuilagi). There are more pressing concerns for England, surely?

More because I'd just want to see him in any top international team.. Considering he dragged a stade Francias team to a ***le, with a team that on paper shouldn't have been close..

Best's throwing is too suspect. He's either good or awful, and we cannot afford him to have an off day in a vital game. It's a worry certainly, and I'd probably take a consistently accurate hooker if one were available.

For the last two years we've had the best lineout completion rate in the 6N. Bests problems seem to come when he has poor jumpers and his confidence gets rocked. With PO'C, Toner, PO'M and Heaslip that shouldn't be a problem. He's also a defensive beast and leader.

I would take BDP, Savea and Folau (could be equally happy taking Ben Smith too). I quite like our pack at the minute and I feel our backs would be improved significantly by these two.

It is possible - but I believe Tameifuna is going to France to play for Racing Metro and see if he can get a French jersey in three years time. Nasi Manu is doing the same thing in Scotland. So I don't think either of them see Tonga as the best option, which is a bit of a shame that this sort of thing is happening..

Pretty silly as they're about as French/Scottish as the Kraken. Or the Ikale tahi management is that bad that they'd rather not play for them.

All after the RWC

Cian Healy
Wesley Fofana
David Pocock

For the last two years we've had the best lineout completion rate in the 6N. Bests problems seem to come when he has poor jumpers and his confidence gets rocked. With PO'C, Toner, PO'M and Heaslip that shouldn't be a problem. He's also a defensive beast and leader.

I love Rory as much as the next man, but even so, I'm beginning to tire of his poor timing of when he makes that duff throw. I don't think it would be outrageous to say he's one of Ireland's five best players normally but dropping drastically with the pressure on. Which is an issue.

Parisse is a fantastic player, but 8 is one of our strongest positions - I'd say it's the only position where we have 2 world class players (billy and Ben) except perhaps 13 (JJ and Tuilagi). There are more pressing concerns for England, surely?

6. Vunipola
7. Robshaw
8. Parisse

That'd do me.

Would it show my bias if I said Afoa?

edit: why can't we post smileys in this sub-forum but we can everywhere else? *grabs the pitchfork*

Ever so slightly...

1 Agustin Creevy
2 Marcos Ayerza
3 Bakies Botha (I dont give a crap if he just retired).

Ayerza totally owned the AB's and Boks last year. And Creevy is the best hooker in the world right now.

Im just not impressed at all by our current Tight five. Brodie aside.

Last edited:
Set piece is okay, line outs too. They get around the park well and how often do you see them drop the ball or make silly errors? The Franks bros are really the only likely ones to make ball handling errors.

Set piece is okay, line outs too. They get around the park well and how often do you see them drop the ball or make silly errors? The Franks bros are really the only likely ones to make ball handling errors.

Thats the problem its just okay. We rarely get beaten and they generally get the job done. But id just rather see our pack more dominant. I also think those three would help sort out our pathetic record against rolling mauls.

Creevy in particular was amazing against us last weekend. And theres a clip of him against france last year aswell on the tube.

I enjoy doing these so for France
Savea- as he would be the perfect foil to Hugets work horse like winger.
Kuridrani- Fofana's elegance on the inside would probably be perfect towards Kuridrani's power.
Whitelock- As they don't have a lineout lock, too me Pape/Maestri/Vahaaminha are all grunt locks.

Kuridrani- Fofana's elegance on the inside would probably be perfect towards Kuridrani's power.
Whitelock- As they don't have a lineout lock, too me Pape/Maestri/Vahaaminha are all grunt locks.
Saint Andre would probably drop them for a knock on or loose pass.

Yes it does show your bias.

Afoa is not any more there.

Ridiculously so.
There are several better in the Premiership alone, let alone the world.

Ever so slightly...
Haha, I don't actually think Afoa is the best in the world. (I wanted to put a smiley to show I was being tounge-in-cheek, but we can't use them in this board. :( *HINT HINT*) BUT I do think that he's been better than Cole in the Premiership this season, mainly for his performances in the loose. So that's why I'm surprised that people make Cole out to be the best in the world.

Last edited:
1 Agustin Creevy
2 Marcos Ayerza
3 Bakies Botha (I dont give a crap if he just retired).

Ayerza totally owned the AB's and Boks last year. And Creevy is the best hooker in the world right now.

Im just not impressed at all by our current Tight five. Brodie aside.

I'm surprised at that following the weekend. Creevy was and is immense, best hooker in the world in my view, but your pack were better across the board apart from that maul defence issue. Including in the scrum.

If I was doing France I think I'd choose a distributing centre as Bastareaud-Fofana seriously lacks passing. I have always felt Fofana seems a natural 13, so maybe Toomua and shift Fofana out.

I'm surprised at that following the weekend. Creevy was and is immense, best hooker in the world in my view, but your pack were better across the board apart from that maul defence issue. Including in the scrum.

If I was doing France I think I'd choose a distributing centre as Bastareaud-Fofana seriously lacks passing. I have always felt Fofana seems a natural 13, so maybe Toomua and shift Fofana out.

Toomua is a serious talent but Fofana is arguably the best 12 in the world.

Interesting choices. To give England the best chance of winning the RWC, my picks would be:

Johnny Sexton - losing him would make England clear favourites against Ireland ignoring the positive impact he would have on England. Plus it would put an end to the Farrell vs Ford debate!
Richie McCaw - New Zealand (potential final opponents) lose their talisman, England gain a world class traditional seven.
Kieran Read - a strange choice I know given England's relative strength in the position although Read still walks into the starting jersey, but I couldn't resist the idea of ripping off two of New Zealand's starting back row.

I was also tempted by Dane Coles because of how poorly New Zealand cover him and Aaron Smith for his sheer class in a position where England are average at best.

Before anyone accuses me of typical English arrogance, I'm not assuming that England will win the Pool A, just saying that these choices would give England the best chance of winning the whole shooting match (poor job of explaining what I'm getting at I know).

Interesting choices. To give England the best chance of winning the RWC, my picks would be:

Johnny Sexton - losing him would make England clear favourites against Ireland ignoring the positive impact he would have on England. Plus it would put an end to the Farrell vs Ford debate!
Richie McCaw - New Zealand (potential final opponents) lose their talisman, England gain a world class traditional seven.
Kieran Read - a strange choice I know given England's relative strength in the position although Read still walks into the starting jersey, but I couldn't resist the idea of ripping off two of New Zealand's starting back row.

I was also tempted by Dane Coles because of how poorly New Zealand cover him and Aaron Smith for his sheer class in a position where England are average at best.

Before anyone accuses me of typical English arrogance, I'm not assuming that England will win the Pool A, just saying that these choices would give England the best chance of winning the whole shooting match (poor job of explaining what I'm getting at I know).
You spiteful man! The idea is to gain players, not confiscate them off other teams! :)
If so, I'd definitely look at removing key blocks from other teams, I'm thinking the entire Wallabies front row and see how the replacements cope? Unless the people you've stolen have to start...

OP said take three players for the World Cup, I chose to interpret this as 3 players to give your side the best chance of winning the World Cup. Maybe I'm spiteful, I'd like to think I'm just competitive and capable of thinking outside the box! ;)

I did think about some really dirty tricks like the one you mention - the idea of picking NZ's top three hookers crossed my mind fleetingly, but putting all your eggs in one basket still leaves two matches that England won't be massive favourites in and one in which they'll be underdogs, hence my choice to cross fingers and hope the pool games come off.

I would steal:-

Sergio Parrise - Would probably be the best 8 in the world, if he played for a top 5 ranked team..

:D

Totally agree.

We would welcome him back in the starting XV of the Pumas without a shadow of doubt.

Last edited: