• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

4-12-2010: Barbarians vs. Springboks @ Twickenham

Should be buckets of tries. Poor Stephen Donald never seems to grab a start

Does any other country want him? If the IRB had ok'd the "play for a second country" rule then Donald could've played for one of the Home Unions...

Does any other country want him? If the IRB had ok'd the "play for a second country" rule then Donald could've played for one of the Home Unions...

Nobody up here wants him either!

England or Argentina in the quarter finals and South Africa/Ireland in the semi's.

Interesting side, shame not more northern players in the team but I guess it's hard to get them released from clubs. I'm glad it's mostly Kiwi's but it would be better if there was more of a mix - create more interest.

I hope Donald gets a good run. I'm sure he'll do well and Get some confidence from it. He's a better player than the one qustionable kick most people in NZ want to hang him for - heck even carter makes mistakes and has bad days. His poor kicking for goal during most of the game kept the welsh in that last test. And Donald didn't get much time on this tour and I'm sure a lot of that was because Carter had that record in his sights and the coaches wouldn't want to take that away by subbing him. Could see Carter was really ****** off when he got subbed against Scotland. He really didn't look happy to come off the field.

I'll also have an eye on Chris Jack as well, I think he could be a real asset for the AB's next year and a good performance here could see the AB coaches pass some attention his way. Like Brad Thorn he's a big tough dude who toils away in the tight but IMO he's a much better lineout option than Thorn. I see the lineout as such a critical area for the AB's because it's an area that if it's not working well it's so easy for the oposition to target and use to their advantage - more so than any other set play in the game. Just look at 2009, the root of the AB's losses to South Africa was because of a lineout that performed badly.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned

Kirchner is injured Andries Strauss has been called up

I think I am going to cry, his only goal in life is to prove me wrong

Haha. Knowing your dislike of the guy it would bring a smile to my face if he scores a try haha. Sorry LH. I just have to cheer for him. He is the 13th Shark in the squad by the way

Yes, but he has earned his place in the Bok squad playing as a Shark. Same thing goes for Basson who I still refer to as a Griquas-player

The uncapped trio of centre Andries Strauss, flyhalf Elton Jantjies and prop Coenie Oosthuizen will make their first appearance in the Springbok jersey on Saturday when they were named in the starting line-up to meet the Barbarians in the season-ending finale at Twickenham.

A fourth player – scrumhalf Charl McLeod – could make his debut from the bench. The match does not have Test status.

The line-up shows 12 changes to the XV who ended the Test series with a 21-11 win over England on Saturday – seven of them forced by injuries and unavailability, while coach Peter de Villiers has taken the opportunity to give game time to squad members who have not appeared to date.

Ruled out by injury are Victor Matfield, Jean de Villiers, Jannie du Plessis, Bismarck du Plessis and Zane Kirchner. Frans Steyn and Ruan Pienaar have returned to their European clubs.

Lock Alistair Hargreaves appears for the first time on tour along with late call-up Odwa Ndungane, while Pat Lambie, Adi Jacobs, Willem Alberts, Adriaan Strauss and CJ van der Linde all make their first starts on tour.

"The newcomers have been waiting for their chance and will bring energy and enthusiasm to the line-up at the end of a long season," said De Villiers. "They have trained well and been patient throughout the tour and this is their chance to show what they can do."

Lambie gets his first Springbok start at fullback while Jantjies wears the No 10 jersey.

"They are exciting talents and this way they both get maximum opportunity in the match," said De Villiers. "But I've stressed to them and to all of the team that this match is not about personal performance but about performing as a team – if they do that they will all be successful."

The Springboks have won three and lost three of their six meetings with the Barbarians since the first game in 1952 and De Villiers said the Springboks faced another severe challenge.

"The Barbarians have brought together a very exciting team that is definitely made to play rugby in the traditional Barbarian style," said De Villiers. "Nick [Mallett, Barbarians coach] will have taken note of what is an untried backline combination and there's no doubt he'll be focusing his attention there.

"But Juan Smith [Springbok captain] and the players are determined to maintain the improvements of this tour and this game is set to be a fascinating contest."

Bismarck du Plessis has taken a lot of contact and is still recovering, so the decision was taken to rest him for this match.

Springboks v Barbarians

15-Patrick Lambie; 14-Odwa Ndungane, 13-Adi Jacobs, 12-Andries Strauss, 11-Lwazi Mvovo; 10-Elton Jantjies, 9-Francois Hougaard; 8-Ryan Kankowski, 7-Juan Smith (captain), 6-Willem Alberts, 5-Alistair Hargreaves, 4-Bakkies Botha, 3-CJ van der Linde, 2-Adriaan Strauss, 1-Coenie Oosthuizen. Replacements: 16-Bandise Maku, 17-Tendai Mtawarira, 18-AN Other, 19-Flip van der Merwe, 20-Keegan Daniel, 21-Charl McLeod, 22-Gio Aplon.

Source: sarugby.co.za

Question: Is a match played for the Springboks against the Barbarians considered an official match and therefore counts as a cap?

If I remember correctly, no. Might be wrong though.

Pretty good squad under the circumstances. Centres still the worry. Strauss (Andries, not Adriaan) and Jacobs both pretty average. Would have felt more confident with Lambie at 12 and Aplon at FB even though I think he doesn't have the boot to be our FB come RWC time.

Yeah, don't think Baa-Baas games don't count cap wise, however it would be fair enough to call it the players debut.

Surprised both du Plessis are injured, otherwise the team is as one would have expected it to be (though Andries might only be on the bench though)

Adriaan and Andries are cousins right?

Well, it will be nice to see Jantjies play. To bad Jantjes is not in the squad because with his boot and up-and-under it could have been a welcome addition to the squad. Lambie has a big boot but not a very precise one. That way he is a better fullback than a fly-half.

I am a bit disappointed to see Hougaard play in stead of McLeod. Hope he gets a chance for at least 40 minutes. Mvovo on the wing is amazing, as is Alberts as a flanker. Why Ndungane is in the squad I don't know because he always looks like a winger who is afraid to get his shirt dirty.

Can confirm Baa-Baas game is a non-cap game and not an official international fixture

Adriaan and Andries are cousins right?

Well, it will be nice to see Jantjies play. To bad Jantjes is not in the squad because with his boot and up-and-under it could have been a welcome addition to the squad. Lambie has a big boot but not a very precise one. That way he is a better fullback than a fly-half.

I am a bit disappointed to see Hougaard play in stead of McLeod. Hope he gets a chance for at least 40 minutes. Mvovo on the wing is amazing, as is Alberts as a flanker. Why Ndungane is in the squad I don't know because he always looks like a winger who is afraid to get his shirt dirty.

No offence but hougaard is a much better player than mcleod

I know and I completely agree but if you call up a player for a tour, you should give hime gametime. McLeod deserves a chance because of the amazing season he had with the Sharks. You do agree McLeod is better than Januarie right? (Every scrumhalf is better than Januarie)

SPRINGBOK FACTFILE - BARBARIANS AT TWICKENHAM
Posted: 2 December 2010

Although the Barbarian Rugby Club was founded on 27 December 1890 the club played its first International match in 1915 against Wales, winning 26-10.

Their second International was against the touring Australian side of 1948 at Cardiff Arms Park. This second match was won by the Barbarians 9-6.

Four years later, on 26 January, 1952 the Barbarians played their third International match, this time against South Africa, also at Cardiff Arms Park. On this occasion South Africa won 17-3 thus becoming the first International team to beat the Barbarians.

Since 1952 South Africa played another five matches against the Barbarians, winning twice and losing three times.

The Springbok record against the Barbarians â€" Played 6; Won 3; Lost 3; Points for 99; Points against 97; Tries for 15; Tries against 16; Average score 17-16.

The Springbok team:
15 â€" Patrick Lambie
14 â€" Odwa Ndungane
13 â€" Adi Jacobs
12 â€" Andries Strauss
11 â€" Lwazi Mvovo
10 â€" Elton Jantjies
9 â€" Francois Hougaard
8 â€" Ryan Kankowski
7 â€" Juan Smith (captain)
6 â€" Willem Alberts
5 â€" Alstair Hargreaves