• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

5 things you've learnt from this year's 6 nations

bw245

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
What are the 5 things you can take away from this tournament? For me, it's as follows.

1. Rugby can be the most exciting sport in the world. What we were lucky enough to witness today was a true testament to this sport. As a female, my friends have always wondered why I enjoy rugby, but after today, they all know why.

2. The future of Italian and Scottish rugby is worrying.

3. Joe Schmidt is the greatest coach in world rugby. Imagine France with a coach like Joe Schmidt. They would be unstoppable. Joe Schmidt is a credit to the sport.

4. There is a serious problem with refereeing. Something needs to be done. They need clarity so they can all referee the same. This weekend was a little better than last weekend, which had some shocking refereeing. Nigel Owens looks set to be refereeing the World Cup final, providing Wales aren't in it, which could happen.

5. The Southern Hemisphere, specifically New Zealand, should stop underestimating the Northern Hemisphere sides. Australia are probably not going to get out of their group if England and Wales keep playing the way they're playing.

Feel free to do the same!

What are the 5 things you can take away from this tournament? For me, it's as follows.

1. Rugby can be the most exciting sport in the world. What we were lucky enough to witness today was a true testament to this sport. As a female, my friends have always wondered why I enjoy rugby, but after today, they all know why.

3. Joe Schmidt is the greatest coach in world rugby. Imagine France with a coach like Joe Schmidt. They would be unstoppable. Joe Schmidt is a credit to the sport.

4. There is a serious problem with refereeing. Something needs to be done. They need clarity so they can all referee the same. This weekend was a little better than last weekend, which had some shocking refereeing. Nigel Owens looks set to be refereeing the World Cup final, providing Wales aren't in it, which could happen.

5. The Southern Hemisphere, specifically New Zealand, should stop underestimating the Northern Hemisphere sides. Australia are probably not going to get out of their group if England and Wales keep playing the way they're playing.

I disagree but anyway

1.) That we should not underestimate our opponents (felt we were guilty off that against Italy)

2.) That keeping your eyes on the ball and realising that you were not going to catch it, so you attempt to get out off the was resulted in a two week ban.

3.) George Ford is a better 10 than Farrell

4.) Stuart Hogg is the world's most underrated fullbacks

5.) Laidlaw is actually useless.

Why do you feel that we underestimate NH teams?

I disagree but anyway

1.) That we should not underestimate our opponents (felt we were guilty off that against Italy)

2.) That keeping your eyes on the ball and realising that you were not going to catch it, so you attempt to get out off the was resulted in a two week ban.

Agree re number 4! He's sensational.

I disagree but anyway

Our whole team useless not just captain!

OP I agree with most of what you said but NZ underestimating norther hemisphere sides WTF!? For starters I dont see how anybody from NZ has been underestimating any side. Up until this years six nations everybody other than Ireland was crap and thats an indisputable fact.

Just because you've had a couple of weekends of good rugby the sides from the north are now world beaters... I guess iv heard it all now.

The key nothern sides are clearly building well for the WC that is all.

A bit weird saying we underestimate the NH teams. The comments here haven't indicated that. Obviously the national team has always taken them seriously, if they hadn't then I'm sure we would have lost to Ireland at some point in the last 100 years.

Again, Australia's record against Wales doesn't indicate they aren't going to make the playoffs. It's interesting that a tournament which features no SH teams - some how provides an indication of how well they are to perform..

I love Schmidt, not sure it's proven he is better than Hansen. But he is great. I'd have either him or Rennie as our next head coach.

To the two posters above, the team I'm sure don't underestimate NH teams, but many fans do, which can easily be proved on facebook. Also, this wasn't just a few good weeks (in my country's case anyway), it's been an 18 month journey.

To the two posters above, the team I'm sure don't underestimate NH teams, but many fans do, which can easily be proved on facebook. Also, this wasn't just a few good weeks (in my country's case anyway), it's been an 18 month journey.

And that is why I said everybody other than Ireland has been crap.

I know better than to use facebook as proof of anything other than the fact that Kanye West is a douche bag.....

I know better than to use facebook as proof of anything other than the fact that Kanye West is a douche bag.....

I'd describe England over the past few years as inconsistent not crap . We have had moments of pure class over the past few season but we have also had moments that makes you want to tear your hair out in frustration

I disagree but anyway

who cannot ground a ball

No they haven't. England have showed what they can do and so have Wales. Ireland have just been more consistent. Each team yesterday performed like they did under huge pressure so that is a huge plus going into the World Cup.

I think we're putting too much emphasis on beating deflated and poor Scotland, Italy and France sides. What the SH sides will look at and worry about is Wales have the ability to dismantle an opponents gameplan and win without the ball, Ireland can suffocate the opposition and are almost impossible to catch given a 7+ point lead and England have the ability to get through any defence in world rugby.

Scoring 60 points against Italy means nothing, especially when the SH sides can do the same. The NH sides have more to learn from this 6nations than the SH.

I think we're putting too much emphasis on beating deflated and poor Scotland, Italy and France sides. What the SH sides will look at and worry about is Wales have the ability to dismantle an opponents gameplan and win without the ball, Ireland can suffocate the opposition and are almost impossible to catch given a 7+ point lead and England have the ability to get through any defence in world rugby.

Scoring 60 points against Italy means nothing, especially when the SH sides can do the same. The NH sides have more to learn from this 6nations than the SH.

If I could I would rep you but cannot from this thing!!

who cannot ground a ball

Personally I think that Hogg is a bit overrated to be honest - thankfully the deficiency noted above handed Ireland the championship but if you compare him with other home nations fullbacks the only think he does better than Kearney and Halfpenny is running with ball in hand. I don't think he beats them in any other aspect. I think its also debateable whether he is better than Brown with ball in hand (Brown is my favorite NH fullback).

The Italians can be more positive than the jocks. Also think Brown is massively over rated because he isn't quick and does make mistakes under the high ball.

British/Irish teams have won 10 times in 128 matches against NZ.

I think there's a certain level of confidence in your team when you have records like those. Don't think that's misplaced at all.

To be honest, I think it's France whose future is the most worrying.

Italy and Scotland haven't gotten worse, they've just stagnated and look worse because the standards of the other teams in the NH have improved. They have much fewer resources than the other Six Nations teams, so are about where you expect them to be. France, on the other hand, have the resources but are being left behind. The losses against Wales/Ireland/England just felt routine for France.

If anything, I think Scotland has fairly encouraging signs in that they have quite a number of talented young players. I don't think they'll win a Six Nations any time soon, but they will be a bigger challenge in years to come imo.

Last edited:
To be fair, i think he's pretty overrated.
He's good, but not as good as people make out.
I'd have Brown, Williams, Spedding and probably Halfpenny over him.

Latest posts