• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

5th and final Ashes Test

Originally posted by M-Time@Sep 11 2005, 05:06 AM
Why?
They're eating up the time they have to win the match by taking the light. Weird choice to make if you ask me, I'd have thought they'd want to spend as much time on the field as possible.

ITS ALL BUT OVER
<

Congratulations England
<

I wont even tune in tonite - Its too depressing

Will have a drink to an end of an era
<

Australian cricket is now back to earth, and a competitive nature of cricket is back!!!!
<

I want punter on the chopping block, and Gilly to take lead!

Good to see the poms back and a force to be reckoned with - Although I still want the ashes...that cant really happen
<

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Sep 11 2005, 08:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Webby @ Sep 11 2005, 08:41 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-M-Time
@Sep 11 2005, 05:06 AM
Why?
They're eating up the time they have to win the match by taking the light. Weird choice to make if you ask me, I'd have thought they'd want to spend as much time on the field as possible. [/b]
Exactly... the aussies needed to bat through that session and get a lot of runs. This was probable as both openers looked impressive. Anyway, bye bye ashes. (unless the aussies do something resembling a miracle.)

Originally posted by ak47@Sep 11 2005, 10:16 PM
ITS ALL BUT OVER
<

Congratulations England
<

I wont even tune in tonite - Its too depressing

Will have a drink to an end of an era
<

Australian cricket is now back to earth, and a competitive nature of cricket is back!!!!
<

I want punter on the chopping block, and Gilly to take lead!

Good to see the poms back and a force to be reckoned with - Although I still want the ashes...that cant really happen
<
England 89-3.

Don't count your chickens, you're too good to be ruled out of anything at any stage.

England 221-7 at tea.

There is still a long way to go in this test match. Well done Kevin Pietersen. He has single handedly kept England alive.

England 258-7 with a maximum of 40 overs left. Kevin Pietersen has put one hand on the Ashes for us.

i cant help but think that if mcgrath didnt step on that ball and get injured after the first test australia would have won.

im really happy weve won, but am a little miffed the side is called england, geraint and simon jones are both welsh, and the latter have had an imense series, wheres wales's recognition.

should it not be called england, wales and south africa, what with Strauss and Pieterson
<

Originally posted by loratadine@Sep 12 2005, 06:50 PM
i cant help but think that if mcgrath didnt step on that ball and get injured after the first test australia would have won.

im really happy weve won, but am a little miffed the side is called england, geraint and simon jones are both welsh, and the latter have had an imense series, wheres wales's recognition.
The governing body is called 'The England & Wales Cricket Board'. Need more recognition?

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Sep 13 2005, 04:03 AM
England 308-8

Aussies beaten

ASHES COMING HOME
Now us Kiwis don't feel so bad about how England beat us. England were simply a great team on the rise. Damn media over here going on about how could we have possibly lost to England and what a sad pitiful result it was.

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Sep 13 2005, 10:20 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Sep 13 2005, 10:20 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-St Helens RLFC
@Sep 13 2005, 04:03 AM
England 308-8

Aussies beaten

ASHES COMING HOME
Now us Kiwis don't feel so bad about how England beat us. England were simply a great team on the rise. Damn media over here going on about how could we have possibly lost to England and what a sad pitiful result it was. [/b]
The media for some reason is always harder on cricket than any other sport - in australia anyways.....i guess its held in the highest regard to our sportsman

i have been tracking England since they last toured in australia - and this team they have now has slowly transitioned very well from old to young with the likes of kaddick gorne, hoggard in, thorpe gorne, petiersen in.....add on Flintoffs "I am twice Botham" form and harmo........if they stay fit they will be the leader of world cricket for the next 5-10years

other teams like india and pakistan - the transit lounges of cricket - will always be there abouts, but cant get on top for a good stint as they are a transit lounge, and the high and low form is a reflection of the different teams they field within a year

australia - looking down the barrel of a mass re-construction - in 3 years you can confidently say:
nearly 1000 test wickets will disappear from the roster
atleast 10,000 runs will retire
gilchrist retirement

i havent been on the planet long enuff to witness the consequences of this re-construction, but from DVD's etc that i own, IMO aussie cricket wont be as bad as the early 80's, but we will be back to the Border era at best, and will need some good talent with mentality to match - we have the talent, but not the mentality

Border and Waugh's influence on "Pre-ashes" aussie team has been taken for granted
Ponting is soft, we lose the ashes
Gilly won us in India, Ponting was injured

Ponting is NOT the man for the job............he will become the new Gregan......had everything when given captaincy......had nothing when retired...I am talking about our trophy cabinet

I aint saying pontings to blame for losing these ashes directly......but i am saying that if Ponting remains captain and leader till he retires - A Wallaby like slide will take place, where the change of the last recent captains was the direct result of the latest form

Eales to Gregan - pfffft
Waugh to Ponting - pfffft

I wanna cry
<

This is going to be a bad couple of years for Australian sport
<
Atleast we have the Commonwealth games to make us feel better.

i dont know about you, buti dont think the commonwealth games is really a chance to get excited about australian sport, particularly cricket.

England have been absolutely sensational from day one of the second test. I'm glad to see the Aussies taking this on the chin, and taking it well. The best team won, I'm glad you can all see that. I'm not going to declare the death of Australian cricket or sport - that's still a fantastic team.

My question is this: are there any spinners coming through who can one day hope to be half as good as Warne? Who can replace Glenn McGrath?

I think you are all dramatising Australia's loss as even with the loss of some great players coming up Aussie will still be in the top 2. As the club competition is so strong there that top players are always being churned out.

This is true. However our champion side is ageing and a player like Warne will be very hard to replace, atleast in the short term. We'll see how we go in the Super Series, which we could still dominate in at home.

Latest posts