• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Couple PS2 Questions

D

DenverKen

I rented this game from the local Blockbuster, but no booklet. Everything seems pretty clear from the tutorials and such, but a couple things I can't fathom.......

Are dummy passes possible? Seems like the CPU does it, but there is no obvious button for this.

Is there a way to help retain possession when being tackled, like a joystick move or button press? I seem to be losing possession a lot. :wall: Annoying when I get close to the try line just to have the AI steal the ball in the ruck.

dummy pass, pass left then pass right
or pass right then pass left. dont do it too fast but test it out.

as for losing possession, it just happens, you can use the hands in the ruck which is button 10 no idea which button that is on the ps2, i am thinking r3 or l3 i cant remember.

as for losing possession, it just happens, you can use the hands in the ruck which is button 10 no idea which button that is on the ps2, i am thinking r3 or l3 i cant remember.
[/b]

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Is it possible for the player removing the ball from the ruck to just run it? Haven't seen any way to do this either.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Is it possible for the player removing the ball from the ruck to just run it? Haven't seen any way to do this either. [/b][/quote]
Yep you can do that! But I'm not sure which button to push on the PS2 controller as I play it on PC. On PC you press up and under kick at the ruck or maul to peel off/run left, or press drop goal at the ruck or maul to peel off/run left. I don't know if it's the same for PS2. Sorry I couldn't help any more.

hello ps2 user friend.

to hold the ball in the ruck, is r3 (push down on the right analogue and hold it)
sometimes you will get a penalty called against you but (slight more frequently than the
last game ive noticed) you sometimes get the turnover. this is very usefull if you want
to stop a certain try, if the cpu has an overlap out wide or such. havnt been sent off for
holding in the ruck yet.

as far as making the scrum half run press either circle or square instead of pass and he will
try to break either left or right respectively. quite useful near the line where its about as effective
as passing to a forward in terms of scoring. anywhere else on the pitch and you usually get smashed.

ive found the box kick (triangle from the ruck) really effeftive in this itteration if you have fast
outside backs.

hello ps2 user friend.

to hold the ball in the ruck, is r3 (push down on the right analogue and hold it)
sometimes you will get a penalty called against you but (slight more frequently than the
last game ive noticed) you sometimes get the turnover. this is very usefull if you want
to stop a certain try, if the cpu has an overlap out wide or such. havnt been sent off for
holding in the ruck yet.
[/b]

In Rugby06 you always conceded a penalty try for killing the ball 5m from your own line. Is this still the case??

<div class='quotemain'> hello ps2 user friend.

holding in the ruck yet.
[/b]

In Rugby06 you always conceded a penalty try for killing the ball 5m from your own line. Is this still the case??
[/b][/quote]

mostly. i dont think its every single time but the closer you get the higher the risk.
ive had a fair bit more luck with r3 this time than last however.

hello ps2 user friend.

holding in the ruck yet.

as far as making the scrum half run press either circle or square instead of pass and he will
try to break either left or right respectively. quite useful near the line where its about as effective
as passing to a forward in terms of scoring. anywhere else on the pitch and you usually get smashed.

ive found the box kick (triangle from the ruck) really effeftive in this itteration if you have fast
outside backs.
[/b]

Thanks! As someone who doesn't get a chance to see much rugby, I'm really liking this game. After reading up on the rules so I have some idea what I'm doing, I'm having some really hard fought games on pro level right now.

Now if I could only play defense. Is there a way to play with two full backs?

Too bad this game isn't online for PS2, whatta blast it would be.

....Now if I could only play defense. Is there a way to play with two full backs?....
[/b]
No, there's no way to play with two fullbacks because there is only one fullback :)

You can use kick defence to send your two wingers back in support of the fullback. They are called the back three. Between the three of them they can cover kicks and prevent one on ones with the fullback, but you give the opposition a free one man overlap on each side. You use the directional pad to choose kick defence.

If you run too far away from your support players you are very likely to lose the ball when tackled, since there's noone for the clear out. It means you should run less on the diagonal line, but more straight forward to have the forwards closer behind you. You'll be tackled earlier but you have a higher chance to keep the ball.

You can use kick defence to send your two wingers back in support of the fullback. They are called the back three. Between the three of them they can cover kicks and prevent one on ones with the fullback, but you give the opposition a free one man overlap on each side. You use the directional pad to choose kick defence.
[/b]

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I figured there had to be some way to have more than one player back in defense. Seems to me the defense options in the game are pretty simple, is this a good reflection of the game itself?

the kick defense doesn't work or is it just me? when i do the kick defense (left dpad) both wingers drop back slightly then just start walking forward just as the ball is passed! what a jib!

Latest posts