• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

I think the talent is there. How many teams around Europe do you think have better young prospects than Josh Wycherley, Keynan Knox, Fineen Wycherley, Thomas Ahern, John Hodnett, Jack O'Sullivan, Craig Casey, Ben Healy, Jake Flannery, Shane Daly, Calvin Nash and Sean French? There are a couple more in their final year of school who look like serious talents too.

I think the talent is there. How many teams around Europe do you think have better young prospects than Josh Wycherley, Keynan Knox, Fineen Wycherley, Thomas Ahern, John Hodnett, Jack O'Sullivan, Craig Casey, Ben Healy, Jake Flannery, Shane Daly, Calvin Nash and Sean French? There are a couple more in their final year of school who look like serious talents too.
Yes bit to be faor out of all those names. Who would you say shpuld have been ahead of someone last Sunday.

I would add a few are not playing well. French is in poor form

Yes bit to be faor out of all those names. Who would you say shpuld have been ahead of someone last Sunday.

I would add a few are not playing well. French is in poor form
None of them but they'll never be in a position to get ahead of the guys if they don't get more than the odd token game in the league. Casey has had injuries fair enough, but still has got less time than Neil Cronin. At a club where the first choice 9 is aging at struggling surely it's worth getting the one player with the talent to replace him as much time as possible. Healy should be getting as much time or more as Harry Byrne has. That O'Donoghue is 25 and still considered a young talent says it all really.

None of them but they'll never be in a position to get ahead of the guys if they don't get more than the odd token game in the league. Casey has had injuries fair enough, but still has got less time than Neil Cronin. At a club where the first choice 9 is aging at struggling surely it's worth getting the one player with the talent to replace him as much time as possible. Healy should be getting as much time or more as Harry Byrne has. That O'Donoghue is 25 and still considered a young talent says it all really.
Casey actually has since return from injury more gametime than Neil Cronin.
Healy is a fair one and not sure where the Jacko still young comment is floating but most if not all around Munster rate him as a Denis Leamy type. In his mid 20s, not a youngster and still unsure where he plays best.

Muff is Gallagher coming to replace Haley as suggested elsewhere today?

Any truth in rumors of irfu suggesting leinster surplus backrow to come south

Muff is Gallagher coming to replace Haley as suggested elsewhere today?

Any truth in rumors of irfu suggesting leinster surplus backrow to come south
I have heard Mike wants to return home as partner and child haven't settled as well as hoped. Gallagher was always looked at so not a replacement.

A number 7 was always mentioned as we are loosing 2 lads

Fair enough. He'd be a loss if that's true. No chance of a former fullback returning ?

Ya we do need a top level 7.

I imagine a 7 moving from Leinster to Munster would depend on the return or lack thereof of Dan Leavy. Three very settled guys developing well here and it'd be mad to upset that.

Ya it's the million dollar question for the irfu. All developing well but coming to a stage where they'll all demand wages that matches ability. Need to see them within the Irish system for player welfare and stop loss of wages on niq.

But obviously developing very well with Lancaster etc. hard to balance correctly

I imagine a 7 moving from Leinster to Munster would depend on the return or lack thereof of Dan Leavy. Three very settled guys developing well here and it'd be mad to upset that.
As Sugary tae said though issue is all coming to renewal time and well all think they are worth more. I was actually working with Dan Leavy over the Christmas for a day and well myst say he is on course to be back better than he left. Still think he will end up at 6 on his return

I'd stay put if I was a Leinster 7. No guarantee you have the same form in a Munster side, no guarantees you walk into a Munster side and if you're getting plenty of game time and looking great doing it as you're playing alongside an utterly dominant pack why move?
Connacht will definitely need beef in the pack. Ulster could do with a player there too.

There's a good article on the Examiner website about Rassie Erasmus and Jacques Nienaber's coaching impact while at Munster from the perspective of Duncan Williams, Duncan Casey and Ronan O'Mahony. It's well worth reading. One thing really stood out for me:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...75.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ronan O'Mahony: "A lot of people say a new head coach needs time, but Rassie came in with us and got us motoring within a month. He had 18 months with South Africa and won a World Cup. You don't always need time. You need to create the right environment and have the right people and lay down early markers."
Erasmus and Nienaber made an immediate positive impact at both Munster and South Africa. As an assistant coach, Stuart Lancaster made an immediate positive impact on Leinster's playing style having only arrived two games into his debut season.

As a head coach, Johann van Graan hasn't really laid down a marker yet in this his third season. As an assistant coach, Stephen Larkham hasn't made an immediate impact on the style of play. Is he being hampered by the head coach wishing to impose another more attritional style? I don't buy the argument that Munster regressed due to international players not getting to work with the new backs coach while the World Cup was on.

JP Ferreira on the other hand has done a fantastic job as defence coach.

Rip Garrett fitz. did a huge amount of unsung work.

Our performance yesterday warmed to soul. Lots of young lads like daly Nash goggin Wycherley Healy Coombes and obviously hodnett are starting to come into their own. I accept kings were absolutely hopeless but it's good for confidence for these guys to play well.

Hodnett really looks to the manor born.

Latest posts