• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Where do Munster go from here. 42 has a pretty dire read on it

"The Leinster wins are nearly becoming too frequent for this to really be a rivalry anymore, and I would hate that to happen.
- Bernard Jackman

Any word on who is replacing Van Graan? Is Rowntree silently going to take over?

Not that the forwards are there main problem - still a problem - just not the main one.
Indeed, questionable whether any of the senior coaching staff are the biggest problem in Munster at the minute.

Munsters strength was and still is the club game. Yet there appears to be a complete disconnect between club and province - whatever pathways, development etc is there just isn't getting it done.

A straight focus on schools probably won't work in Munster, but some kinda hybrid between clubs and schools might. At this point, they don't have much to lose.

Where do Munster go from here. 42 has a pretty dire read on it

- Bernard Jackman

Any word on who is replacing Van Graan? Is Rowntree silently going to take over?

Not that the forwards are there main problem - still a problem - just not the main one.
Indeed, questionable whether any of the senior coaching staff are the biggest problem in Munster at the minute.

Munsters strength was and still is the club game. Yet there appears to be a complete disconnect between club and province - whatever pathways, development etc is there just isn't getting it done.

A straight focus on schools probably won't work in Munster, but some kinda hybrid between clubs and schools might. At this point, they don't have much to lose.
Jackman a plonker.
But that is the trick. Our schools game nowhere near Leinster and even Ulster in terms of quality, quantity and standard. As wel as prestige.
Need to find the balance connect

So Beirne, Conway, Killer and Coombes are out for this weekend. Feels like an absolutely massive blow losing probably our two must clutch players this season in TB and GC and then two guys where there will be a big step down in terms of replacement.

I think for Saturday I would go with:

1. Loughman
2. Barron
3. Ryan
4. Kleyn
5. Wycherley
6. O'Mahony
7. Hodnett
8. O'Donogue
9. Casey
10. Carbery
11. Earls
12. De Allende
13. Farrell
14. Zebo
15. Haley

Bench: Scannell, Wycherley, Knox, Ahern, Kendellen, Murray, Healy, Daly.

I think that team is fairly realistic for the most part, but I doubt Casey starts and I think it will be Jenkins starting with Fineen on the bench. Scannell will probably also start. I can see the logic in starting Murray against this crowd, but he was poor on Saturday. Jenkins I think will start because of his size and his scrummaging, but I don't think his fitness is where it needs to be. I think the only reason I'd start Scannell is because Barron has a horrible tendency to fluff his first few throws. He needs to sort that fast. In any case, I fully believe Buckley is the man for the future next season.

Last edited:
So Beirne, Conway, Killer and Coombes are out for this weekend. Feels like an absolutely massive blow losing probably our two must clutch players this season in TB and GC and then two guys where there will be a big step down in terms of replacement.

I think for Saturday I would go with:

1. Loughman
2. Barron
3. Ryan
4. Kleyn
5. Wycherley
6. O'Mahony
7. Hodnett
8. O'Donogue
9. Casey
10. Carbery
11. Earls
12. De Allende
13. Farrell
14. Zebo
15. Haley

Bench: Scannell, Wycherley, Knox, Ahern, Kendellen, Murray, Healy, Daly.

I think that team is fairly realistic for the most part, but I doubt Casey starts and I think it will be Jenkins starting with Fineen on the bench. Scannell will probably also start. I can see the logic in starting Murray against this crowd, but he was poor on Saturday. Jenkins I think will start because of his size and his scrummaging, but I don't think his fitness is where it needs to be. I think the only reason I'd start Scannell is because Barron has a horrible tendency to fluff his first few throws. He needs to sort that fast. In any case, I fully believe Buckley is the man for the future next season.
Going by sessions and weather may be a big big call coming.

Limerick Leader reporting that Rowntree will be confirmed as our new head coach. I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand, we know that he's here for the long run, he's clearly a very good unit coach and he's a good fit for the club. I have huge respect for him and how he's conducted himself with us. He also has coming on 15 years of coaching under his belt.

On the other hand, it does feel like after such a long, drawn out process we struggled to find an outside candidate of some sort. That's obviously not a slight on Rowntree by any means, but just how Munster have carried out the process. I hope he has a Farrellesque rise, but this is not a case where Rowntree was being groomed as the heir apparent and allowed to transition. It ultimately hinges on the coaching ticket we can put together. I also hope we do go ahead with the Director of Rugby role. I'm happy with the appointment if we have another senior figure in a DoR role.

Limerick Leader reporting that Rowntree will be confirmed as our new head coach. I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand, we know that he's here for the long run, he's clearly a very good unit coach and he's a good fit for the club. I have huge respect for him and how he's conducted himself with us. He also has coming on 15 years of coaching under his belt.

On the other hand, it does feel like after such a long, drawn out process we struggled to find an outside candidate of some sort. That's obviously not a slight on Rowntree by any means, but just how Munster have carried out the process. I hope he has a Farrellesque rise, but this is not a case where Rowntree was being groomed as the heir apparent and allowed to transition. It ultimately hinges on the coaching ticket we can put together. I also hope we do go ahead with the Director of Rugby role. I'm happy with the appointment if we have another senior figure in a DoR role.
It not just GR role that part of process to draw it out. Many situations/roles to be filled as a coaching ticket.

I don't think there'll be an issue with rowntree. He's got bucket loads of experience at multiple top jobs and there appears to be a serious buy in to a longer term project. The question will be whether he/irfu can assemble a decent team around him. We've had two excellent defensive coaches in a row and we stay in matches we have no right to by refusal to concede easy scores typically. The fact that We need to upgrade our attract is an understatement. Variety and range of passing. Finally you hope to see players having better seasons than they previously have had.
Best of luck to the guy. It's a tough gig

I don't think there'll be an issue with rowntree. He's got bucket loads of experience at multiple top jobs and there appears to be a serious buy in to a longer term project. The question will be whether he/irfu can assemble a decent team around him. We've had two excellent defensive coaches in a row and we stay in matches we have no right to by refusal to concede easy scores typically. The fact that We need to upgrade our attract is an understatement. Variety and range of passing. Finally you hope to see players having better seasons than they previously have had.
Best of luck to the guy. It's a tough gig
Rumours inside is there is a DoR and a big name coach on ticket. Hearing when it comes there will be 4 announcements.

Rowntree confirmed. More I think on it, I'm happy with this. Looking forward to him starting and getting stuck in. Have no doubt we will get 100% from him at the very least. What will be key is someone to come in and change the attack, and Rowntree empowering this person to do that.

Rowntree confirmed. More I think on it, I'm happy with this. Looking forward to him starting and getting stuck in. Have no doubt we will get 100% from him at the very least. What will be key is someone to come in and change the attack, and Rowntree empowering this person to do that.
Just to add he will be different to JVG like they have 2 different views on the game. And as I said before he won't be lacking experience in the coaching team if the name mentioned comes

Looks like Munster have stolen away die hard Leinster man Denis Leamy to be the new defence coach and are still hopeful Prendergast will be attack coach.

Big job for Leamy! I thought it would be a lateral move, but that's clearly not the case as per the 42. I've been pretty happy with our defence under Ferreira, we make ourselves very hard to beat usually.

Prendy would be a huge coup. I'd say he will be the tougher man to shift too. Interesting Costello might move up to a senior squad role too.

No mention of McNamara. Wonder if that's what they meant by keeping the coaching unit tight for next year.

26K tickets sold for the QF, still a week out. A crowd officially too big for Thomond! Great to see Munster have made the best of a bad situation, I've been impressed with how the IRFU and Munster have handled ticket pricing, transport to and from etc.

Latest posts