• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Such a shame, Jones is a player who worked very hard on his game to become a decent international player. I know it won't be much consolation for him but at least doctors caught the problem before he was potentially left confined to a wheelchair.

I'd like to see Simon Zebo pushed as Munster's new 15. He's an exciting, attacking player who could potentially usurp Rob Kearney for Ireland if given a run of games.

Such a shame, Jones is a player who worked very hard on his game to become a decent international player. I know it won't be much consolation for him but at least doctors caught the problem before he was potentially left confined to a wheelchair.

I'd like to see Simon Zebo pushed as Munster's new 15. He's an exciting, attacking player who could potentially usurp Rob Kearney for Ireland if given a run of games.

Think it'll be Zebo or Conway who's been excellent Snoop.

Regards Jones. He has achieved a lot and I'd call him probably the best defensive 15 we've had in the last few years in Ireland. It was a nasty clash that caused it and well as you pointed out thankfully Felix will be able to lead a normal life. I can see him becoming a great coach 1 day as he's a superb thinker. On the field I think the Magners final against Leinster many years ago was probably the greatest game I've ever seen him play. He nearly got to a World Cup on that form and genuinely had Rob under pressure until injury killed that.
But again it shows how cruel sport is. 8 weeks ago I had a coffee with Felix and a few others and he was down after missing out on RWC squad for Ireland. How much has happened in those 8 weeks.

I agree, I cant help but feel Kearney has kind of run his course... Watching Zebo play is a breath of fresh air, really hope Schmidt puts him up to it more often during the 6N. Which makes me wonder on Schmidts plan now, build a new squad and risk not doing the best in the 6N for the time being or use the old reliables to recuperate after the WC and grind out some comfortable wins? Ideally, we can win the 6N again while utilizing a fresher younger squad.

Though I imagine the tour to South Africa might be a better time to experiment

Last edited:
Sean Doyle will probably be announced soon as longer than 3 months. Kaino turned down €45000 for 3 months with us.
@jomjom. I wouldn't mind if Schmidt was hammered in all 6Nations games if he's blooding guys. I think you see it with Aus and SA every 4 years and long term it is really beneficial. Like don't get me wrong it was great to win 2 ***les but on the broader scale of things we need to aim higher and be looking at RWC finals every 4 years. I'm not saying we are that good but everyone of the top 8/9 nations should have that ambition.

Last edited:
I don't remember much about Doyle from Ulster, although he seems very highly rated. Good to hear :bravo:

Munster team to play Ulster tomorrow in Thomond:

Munster:
Andrew Conway; Simon Zebo, Francis Saili, Denis Hurley, Gerhard van den Heever; Ian Keatley, Tomás O'Leary; James Cronin, Mike Sherry, BJ Botha; Dave Foley, Mark Chisholm; CJ Stander - capt., Jack O'Donoghue, Robin Copeland.

Replacements: Duncan Casey, John Ryan, Mario Sagario, Donnacha Ryan, Jordan Coghlan, Duncan Williams, Rory Scannell, Ronan O'Mahony.

Decent side, I'd prefer Zebo at fullback. Assume Amorisino will come in for GvdH when he is ready. Don't know too much about Sean Doyle as I've said but I would think he would come in for Copeland with JOD moving to 8. Bleyendaal to come in to the team too when fit.

I don't remember much about Doyle from Ulster, although he seems very highly rated. Good to hear :bravo:

Munster team to play Ulster tomorrow in Thomond:

Munster:
Andrew Conway; Simon Zebo, Francis Saili, Denis Hurley, Gerhard van den Heever; Ian Keatley, Tomás O'Leary; James Cronin, Mike Sherry, BJ Botha; Dave Foley, Mark Chisholm; CJ Stander - capt., Jack O'Donoghue, Robin Copeland.

Replacements: Duncan Casey, John Ryan, Mario Sagario, Donnacha Ryan, Jordan Coghlan, Duncan Williams, Rory Scannell, Ronan O'Mahony.

Decent side, I'd prefer Zebo at fullback. Assume Amorisino will come in for GvdH when he is ready. Don't know too much about Sean Doyle as I've said but I would think he would come in for Copeland with JOD moving to 8. Bleyendaal to come in to the team too when fit.

Doyle is a good 7. And Irish qualified. He may get the 7 spot. Dave O'Callaghan playing well too as is Copeland. There'll be big competition there.
Tyler will have battle too. He needs to last few games to get his game back. Amorisino is probably battling with Conway, Zebo, Earls, R. O'Mahony and GVDH for 3 spots. Add in guys like Fitzgearld will challenge too.
Expect Zebo and Conway to interchange vs Ulster. And Munsters first Uruguayan prop to get time.

Wait what Sean Doyle is rated now?

Ulster fans were disappointed he was leaving. And well in our current predicament with 7s he's welcome. Although it makes us realise how bad it was letting Dougall and Butler both go.

Ulster fans were disappointed he was leaving. And well in our current predicament with 7s he's welcome. Although it makes us realise how bad it was letting Dougall and Butler both go.

Only in light of what we were bringing in!

Munster Back-Row and Back-Line!

Amorosino could be an amazing player for Munster. He brings experience and talent. Munster will have a strong back row (O'Mahony, Copeland/O'Donoghue, Stander) and an excellent back line (Murray, Bleyendaal, Zebo, Saili, Earls, Van Den Heever and Amorosino/Conway). This in my opinion is our strongest backline. Only for injuries Munster and Leinster could go very far this season!

- - - Updated - - -

Also #PrayForParis. RIP to all that have died in such tragic circumstances. All games being played in France in the Champions Cup this weekend have been postponed.

But nonetheless, Come on Munster!

Amorosino is a good player but will 95% be leaving to join Pumas super rugby team.

What does anybody know about Rory O'Connor (prop) and Mike Kennedy (scrumhalf)? Apparently they were on trial with Munster last month. Both are Australian but Ireland qualified.

What does anybody know about Rory O'Connor (prop) and Mike Kennedy (scrumhalf)? Apparently they were on trial with Munster last month. Both are Australian but Ireland qualified.

Both Irish qualified and were here on recommendations of close associates of IRFU although Paul Warwick recently returned permanently to Australia and highly recommended Kennedy too.