• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

It is a cult of perverted hyper individualism. There are responsible gun owners and there are gun nuts. These idiots are the latter. o_O The vast majority of Americans are in favor of background checks prior to gun ownership. But these whack jobs think everyone should be strapped with hand guns, rifles and automatic weapons. They're paranoid morons.
Question at what point is individual liberty more important than what is best for the group?

Question at what point is individual liberty more important than what is best for the group?
Many of them are libertarians - for whom there is no point where the group is more important than the individual

Needs to be stopped imeediately.

Also yay new pointless war on drugs policies!
At what point do people actually start admitting our government are acting more and more authoritarian.

"Yes you said it was illegal, but we don't like it so it doesn't count..."

It's honestly outrageous that anyone who believes in democracy could condone this.

You can be the most ardent gun supporter but why on earth would you pass for a Christmas photo with them? It's just so weird and not mentally healthy at all. Replace the guns with machetes and see if that family still thinks it's appropriate. The gun cult prevents them seeing what is reasonable any more in the same way religious or political cults do.

And not forgetting Trump tried imply to the NRA a few years ago that UK's issue with stabbings in our inner cities was somehow worse than their gun culture. Only in a America. :rolleyes:

The irony being knife crime is worse in the US than in the UK, it just doesn't get reported because of all the gun crime on top of that

Many of them are libertarians - for whom there is no point where the group is more important than the individual
The fact that one of their go-to sources on social morality is Ayn Rand, a well known sociopath. Call me a bluff old traditionalist but I would have thought sociopaths would be the last people you should turn to to form a healthy, functioning society. Libertarianism itself isn't sociopathic but many Libertarians aren't truly Libertarian, they only hold that views as long as they think they will benefit from it. As soon as they don't, they turn on their own ideology.

Not truly Libertarian but 2 cases in point:
1 - Those predominantly on the right would be snide when the left complained about injustice and the actions of corporations. They said along the lines of "corporations can choose who they wish to serve. It's a free market, if you don't like it, don't buy their products." So what happens? People start successful boycotts and pressure campaigns to change how companies operate. Now those same people are crying "cancel culture" any time pressure is exerted on a company to change how they operate. There is no winning with these people, you literally do what they say you should and they don't like it because they are no longer secure thinking they are on top.

2 - Arguing that people should get a good education to get a better job. Then arguing that fleecing students with huge amounts of debt is worth it to get a better paying job. Then when these people get degrees, say they should be content taking any job even if it's a crap one well below what they should be getting. When they take those jobs, it's then saying they should be content with the exploitive wages and demanding more makes them entitled, if they want more they should leave and find better jobs. Now people are leaving these shitty, low paying, exploitive jobs en masse and these people are complaining about how nobody apparently wants to work any more. There is literally no winning.

Essentially it's a cover to justify ignoring social responsibilities, any problems people face must be entirely their own and completely ignores certain built in advantages. Many very wealthy so-called self made men are anything but if you look at all the help and breaks they got that many others didn't. Zuckerberg, Gates, Bezos, Musk etc all portrayed as guys who built a business from nothing but that is true for none of them. They all had financial backing and people with connections who helped them get started that they knew from before they started their businesses.

There is no winning with these people, you literally do what they say you should and they don't like it because they are no longer secure thinking they are on top.
zolo3rd1dw151.png

Sadly, I think were beyond that point. They're such hypocrites. They're in favor of the federal Government regulating our airports, trains, interstate freeways, agriculture and many other departments. But a simple background check before buying a gun drives them crazy. Like I stated earlier, the vast majority of Americans are in favor of background checks. But were dealing with fanatics who are delusional. It truly is a far right/alt right cult. The paranoid lunatic fringe. o_O

Last edited:
I don't think the gun culture problem is even solvable in the US. Mainly because the majority don't see it as a problem that needs to be solved, but even if they did I still think it's impossible just due to the amount of guns in circulation over there. Even if 80% of Americans woke up tomorrow and said right we've got to sort this out, the other 20% would still be a massive problem and would mean nothing would really change. That's fantasy though. The fact of the matter is that it is their right to own, and carry, a variety of guns from revolvers to military grade assault rifles. It seems that a lot of Americans treat the constitution as sacred as they treat the bible and I can't see that changing anytime soon, sadly.

Let's be fair, the US has a national fettish for guns, violence, individualism and vigilantism that go back to their foundation myths.

See - any American film, game or TV production; where violence is glorified (but heaven forfend the sight of a nipple or pubic hair - won't someone think of the children?)

That picture posted on Twitter by that Congressman was sheer antagonism of the left as well, as well as to appeal to the Republican gun toting base. No coincidence post Rittenhouse and recent mass school shooting.

Until, the next mass shooting to offer our "thoughts and prayers." But gun violence has become all too normalised in American society That I doubt many Americans blink when they hear of it.

Oh look there was a smoking gun.

It's less our government lie to us it's just they shockingly bad at it.

I don't think the gun culture problem is even solvable in the US. Mainly because the majority don't see it as a problem that needs to be solved, but even if they did I still think it's impossible just due to the amount of guns in circulation over there. Even if 80% of Americans woke up tomorrow and said right we've got to sort this out, the other 20% would still be a massive problem and would mean nothing would really change. That's fantasy though. The fact of the matter is that it is their right to own, and carry, a variety of guns from revolvers to military grade assault rifles. It seems that a lot of Americans treat the constitution as sacred as they treat the bible and I can't see that changing anytime soon, sadly.
We don't have a gun problem. We have a mental health problem disguised as a gun problem.

2/3rds of all firearm deaths are suicides. Last year, 100,000 Americans OD'ed on drugs. Our life expectancy has trended down the past few years for the first time since WWI. There is a reason our society is fracturing right now and guns aren't the root cause.

It's just gaslighting taken to a new level.

But I mean if the people who voted Conservative are happy being lied to, repeatedly, to their face. Personally I'd feel contempt to someone who would take me for such a fool to accept such brazen lies but apparently there is no lie to big for some.

We don't have a gun problem. We have a mental health problem disguised as a gun problem.

2/3rds of all firearm deaths are suicides. Last year, 100,000 Americans OD'ed on drugs. Our life expectancy has trended down the past few years for the first time since WWI. There is a reason our society is fracturing right now and guns aren't the root cause.
I didn't mean to suggest that guns are the root cause, that would be silly. That would be largely down to poverty as it is in any other country when you're talking about crime or delinquent behaviour but mental health as you rightly point out is also a factor for stuff like this.

I guess the question I would ask in response to your post would be, do you agree that a society should make lethal weapons so easily available that potentially mentally ill people can use them on themselves and/or other people?

I think your post supports my point about this perceived feeling in America that there is no problem with the gun culture over there. As I said earlier I think it's beyond repair anyway to be honest but I hope that over the next century or 2 attitudes will change and the U.S will catch up with the rest of western civilisation in this regard by banning them or heavily restricting them.

It's just gaslighting taken to a new level.

But I mean if the people who voted Conservative are happy being lied to, repeatedly, to their face. Personally I'd feel contempt to someone who would take me for such a fool to accept such brazen lies but apparently there is no lie to big for some.
In all honesty, most people just actually don't care that much that they broke the rules because the majority of the country was breaking them themselves anyway / have done since.

I'm not saying that's ok, but it's the reality

In all honesty, most people just actually don't care that much that they broke the rules because the majority of the country was breaking them themselves anyway / have done since.

I'm not saying that's ok, but it's the reality
Maybe in this specific case but it's not the only time they have not followed their own rules. There is also a matter of principle as the first time round many people did follow them. I missed Christmas with my family as did many others.

Latest posts