• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Point of order my TV is Korean!

I'd also very rarely go to an Irish theme pub and if I drink foreign beer it tends to be American/Italian or Spanish.

@Not Mike Brown's Sock

Who have you got a real leader candidate? (part of the problem)

Sunak has ****** away billions to fraudsters.
Truss blew half a billion on a private plane.

Like this is serious who's waiting in the wings to be a Cameron like and come from relatively nowhere. Because the only one not covered in **** currently is Hunt.

@Not Mike Brown's Sock

Who have you got a real leader candidate? (part of the problem)

Sunak has ****** away billions to fraudsters.
Truss blew half a billion on a private plane.

Like this is serious who's waiting in the wings to be a Cameron like and come from relatively nowhere. Because the only one not covered in **** currently is Hunt.
It'll be sunak realistically.

Gove will throw his hat in the ring, Mourdant and Truss will have a run at it as will Hunt. Simon Baker to get some minor support too.

Literally all of those are better than the current option.

Would personally love Tom Tegundhat but that's a pipe dream

Gove will throw his hat in the ring, Mourdant and Truss will have a run at it as will Hunt. Simon Baker to get some minor support too.

Sunak might be popular with MPs if his polling data shows him to have the best chance of winning a GE but would the Tory membership (largely old, white, nationalistic, middle class) back someone of Indian heritage?

Rory Stewart was my favourite at the last leadership contest but he's far too honest and not sleazy enough for the job.

Sunak might be popular with MPs if his polling data shows him to have the best chance of winning a GE but would the Tory membership (largely old, white, nationalistic, middle class) back someone of Indian heritage?

Rory Stewart was my favourite at the last leadership contest but he's far too honest and not sleazy enough for the job.
Yeah I backed Rory at the last one too.

Yeah I think so - the majority of the membership would vote for him if he was likely to win an election and their MP did. I would hope it is sorted out in house anyway beforehand - less messy

It would be hard to find someone worse Baker is a member of the ERG so definitely goes into could probably be worse group as is Gove/Mordaunt.

Basically any ERG member sound like hell the ******** they come about the EU would be disastrous. Still there is a long list of laughtable they are MPs so it could be worse.
Always a big fault for Sunak I do thing this writing off the fraud thing is also going to harm him massively. It might not be enough but I don't think he's the clear frontrunner everyone thinks he is.

Good News

No mention if Britain leading the way like Johnson suggested in PMQs

I'd be surprised if reiterating the status quo was sufficient to defuse tensions, but here's hoping. Maybe the Russian govt will be satisfied with having had a moment in the sun, like North Korea, by making US diplomats run around Europe.

The important piece in the puzzle is Germany and their new government, and Russia may have been testing their loyalties. Strangely the German left wing is more friendly with the Russian right wing than the German right wing is. The US is annoyed at Germany for the Nord Stream 2 pipeline in the Baltic sea which will allow Russian gas to bypass eastern Europe in order to get to Germany.

Prior to Nord Stream2 there was a mutual interest in Russia, the rest of Eastern Europe and Western Europe for civil relations in Eastern Europe to cooperate in the exchange of money for gas. That changes with Nord Stream 2. Eastern Europe can be in flames and Western Europe can still get its gas.

Noises are now being made that Nord Stream 2 won't be opened by Germany unless Eastern Europe starts to play nice. I'm still happy enough with the international response. I'm actually surprised it has been this competent and nobody speaking out of turn (apart from Germany's now ex-Naval Chief who put his foot in it).

It would be hard to find someone worse Baker is a member of the ERG so definitely goes into could probably be worse group as is Gove/Mordaunt.

Basically any ERG member sound like hell the ******** they come about the EU would be disastrous. Still there is a long list of laughtable they are MPs so it could be worse.

Always a big fault for Sunak I do thing this writing off the fraud thing is also going to harm him massively. It might not be enough but I don't think he's the clear frontrunner everyone thinks he is.

Agree about the fraud write off. Can't remember the source but I think it was also claimed that the stamp duty holiday ended up backfiring and cost the country more in lost tax revenues when comparing to other countries that didn't have a holiday. Eat out to help out was popular but probably too generous in hindsight.

Sunak speaks well and is very polished in front of a camera but he's still very inexperienced at the highest reaches of Government.

I'd be surprised if reiterating the status quo was sufficient to defuse tensions, but here's hoping. Maybe the Russian govt will be satisfied with having had a moment in the sun, like North Korea, by making US diplomats run around Europe.

The important piece in the puzzle is Germany and their new government, and Russia may have been testing their loyalties. Strangely the German left wing is more friendly with the Russian right wing than the German right wing is. The US is annoyed at Germany for the Nord Stream 2 pipeline in the Baltic sea which will allow Russian gas to bypass eastern Europe in order to get to Germany.

Prior to Nord Stream2 there was a mutual interest in Russia, the rest of Eastern Europe and Western Europe for civil relations in Eastern Europe to cooperate in the exchange of money for gas. That changes with Nord Stream 2. Eastern Europe can be in flames and Western Europe can still get its gas.

Noises are now being made that Nord Stream 2 won't be opened by Germany unless Eastern Europe starts to play nice. I'm still happy enough with the international response. I'm actually surprised it has been this competent and nobody speaking out of turn (apart from Germany's now ex-Naval Chief who put his foot in it).
If Russia aren't going to do anything, arguably all this posturing could have harmed them. Like Crimea, it would have made the west and Ukraine realise how little is in place to stop Russia militarily if they decide to play stupid buggers. They can kiss goodbye to having a friendly regime in Ukraine that is not installed by force and could have done more to drive Ukraine towards NATO than anything else. Nope, I think the Russians have reached a stage now where the have to go through with it. To back down now would be embarrassing for them, especially as Putin tries to display this "strongman" image and would have achieved the exact opposite of what they would want.

I still think the Tory's best option for leader is Larry Mouser - he' the most efficient, and (BJ aside) he's comfortably the most charismatic member of that cabinet office!

I still think the Tory's best option for leader is Larry Mouser - he' the most efficient, and (BJ aside) he's comfortably the most charismatic member of that cabinet office!
Was making a big show and dance infront of the cameras yesterday clearly positioning for a run.

Although, Russia was asked to not publish this response, Russian foreign minister Lavrov described it shortly today. Would be interesting to read it though :rolleyes: maybe a beginning of something positive, maybe not, time will show

China also supported the Kazakhstan government during the recent crisis (translated):
"The official representative of the Chinese Foreign Ministry, immediately responded to this issue at a briefing on January 6 and 7. He stated that "the Chinese side supports all the efforts of the Kazakh authorities to help deal with the chaos as soon as possible, strongly opposes external forces deliberately provoking social upheaval and incited violence in Kazakhstan."
China and Russia should deepen pragmatic cooperation and jointly resist the interference of external forces in the internal affairs of Central Asian countries, prevent the "colour revolution"

Smart people, understand that they're "next on the list" and react on time and in a clever way (and not like Russia, too late and in a dangerous way :rolleyes: )

Is there a quote on that?

All I've read is HR/Met with no real clear indication of where the real bottle knock is other than Sue Grey want it out and able to be published in full.

Worrying (for Johnson) if Met is the problem as you can't prejudice what would be a simple fine. It means they are looking into far higher offences.
I've read that Cressida Dick personally reviewed Gray's evidence. That's got to be everything about politics and nothing about gravity of offence.

If Russia aren't going to do anything, arguably all this posturing could have harmed them. Like Crimea, it would have made the west and Ukraine realise how little is in place to stop Russia militarily if they decide to play stupid buggers. They can kiss goodbye to having a friendly regime in Ukraine that is not installed by force and could have done more to drive Ukraine towards NATO than anything else. Nope, I think the Russians have reached a stage now where the have to go through with it. To back down now would be embarrassing for them, especially as Putin tries to display this "strongman" image and would have achieved the exact opposite of what they would want.
My hope is that Putin's control of the Russian media is so complete that he can accept the status quo and not lose face domestically (sell it as preventing a fictitious Ukrainian re-taking of Donbas). It would appear to have been a poorly played hand. Why not try two years ago with Trump in power?

At the very least I think it will have weakened the hands of those in the EU and US who would want to reduce sanctions on Russia for its previous Ukrainian acts. It might also lead the likes of Sweden into the arms of NATO, and they weren't even thinking of that as an option for the past 30 years and yet they felt the need to mobilise their military this month incase of Russian aggression.

People like me felt NATO should have ceased after the fall of the USSR, but the last 8 years is showing how horribly wrong people like me were. NATO is the only thing standing against the Balkanisation of Eastern Europe. Putin barely put a foot wrong in his first two terms (or even when he relegated himself to Prime Minister for a term), but this has not been his finest hour. With the mess going on in 'western' society I think he should remain optimistic of his overall goals though.

Although, Russia was asked to not publish this response, Russian foreign minister Lavrov described it shortly today. Would be interesting to read it though :rolleyes: maybe a beginning of something positive, maybe not, time will show

China also supported the Kazakhstan government during the recent crisis (translated):

Smart people, understand that they're "next on the list" and react on time and in a clever way (and not like Russia, too late and in a dangerous way :rolleyes: )
You remind me that Al Jazeera is a pretty reliable news source to provide a neutral perspective on Europe. I just avoid them on the TV because I am not obsessed by the Middle East.

That Russian language site is interesting. It alludes to the 'foreign' involvement in the recent Kazakhstan uprising being Turkey (not something I'd think massively likely, but who knows) and also criticises the current Kazakh govt for having just appointed a Russophobe to a senior political post. The whole Turkey vs Russia rivalry is a very interesting one: competing Syrian factions, Azerbaijan vs Armenia, Central Asian Turkic republics like Kazahlstan that contain Russian speakers.

The problem with populist 'strongmen' like Erdogan and Putin is that on paper you think they should agree on just hating the EU and US. But because they all have different and competing national interests they often end up at each others throats. Turkey vs Russia is definitely worth watching from a Russian point of view. It was a draw in Syria, then Turkey got a victory with Azerbaijan and may be feeling cocky.

You remind me that Al Jazeera is a pretty reliable news source to provide a neutral perspective on Europe. I just avoid them on the TV because I am not obsessed by the Middle East.

That Russian language site is interesting. It alludes to the 'foreign' involvement in the recent Kazakhstan uprising being Turkey (not something I'd think massively likely, but who knows) and also criticises the current Kazakh govt for having just appointed a Russophobe to a senior political post. The whole Turkey vs Russia rivalry is a very interesting one: competing Syrian factions, Azerbaijan vs Armenia, Central Asian Turkic republics like Kazahlstan that contain Russian speakers.

The problem with populist 'strongmen' like Erdogan and Putin is that on paper you think they should agree on just hating the EU and US. But because they all have different and competing national interests they often end up at each others throats. Turkey vs Russia is definitely worth watching from a Russian point of view. It was a draw in Syria, then Turkey got a victory with Azerbaijan and may be feeling cocky.
It's why it's a bit of a joke having far right nationalists in various countries supporting each other, as if they would get along if they all got into power... They would be at each other's throats in no time at all.

It was a draw in Syria, then Turkey got a victory with Azerbaijan and may be feeling cocky.
Some have a different opinion about Azerbaijan point though, Russia was pro-Azerbaijan as well (or more against some Armenian officials), plus deployed its' peacekeeping force in Nagorno-Karabakh.
Nagorno-Karabakh and the whole Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict is a huuuuge mess and I won't judge who's wrong/right there though

Yes, Erdogan has big ambitions as well, especially in creating a "Turkic world" where it will cross zones of Russian (and other countries) interests and even includes some Russian regions :D , (includes also Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan etc)

That Russian language site is interesting
I try to avoid posting articles in Russian (both oppositional and official) but sometimes it's difficult for me to find some things in English.

Latest posts