• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Oh goody goody gumdrops. And Tories be like "nah we're doing nothing until we have a new PM, who will also probably do nothing." There are going to be a lot of people in serious trouble by winter and the government are content to sit back and watch it unfold whilst they engage in their internal petty squabbles. Seriously, short of going into an unjustified war, this government have ticked every box of "what not to do in government". By every metric they have failed.

Some are saying "But you wanted Johnson out"

Yes I did because he's a feckless twat who won't do his actual job, is more interested in parties and cosplay than actually leading the country through a crisis. He did **** all about the cost living in January and he's doing **** all now. He keeps missing COBRA meetings 3 years later while the country literally caught fire.

If he doesn't want to do the job appoint a caretaker PM who will.

Russia bombs the Orkeny's

"eerrrr sorry can't respond to that until the new PM is in place"

Is essentially what they are saying.

Would people like to see less of our politicians come from private schools? (I'm pulling this out my arse but I'd guess something like 60-70% of the HoC came from private school. I know there's a disgusting amount of PMs that have come solely from Eton)

Would people like to see less of our politicians come from private schools? (I'm pulling this out my arse but I'd guess something like 60-70% of the HoC came from private school. I know there's a disgusting amount of PMs that have come solely from Eton)
Olly shift this to the other thread maybe?

I actually think it's higher than that, but yes absolutely. I don't think it's an active problem in governance to have any demographic wheightings, but it is an indictment of the routes into politics for people from all backgrounds

Olly shift this to the other thread maybe?

I actually think it's higher than that, but yes absolutely. I don't think it's an active problem in governance to have any demographic wheightings, but it is an indictment of the routes into politics for people from all backgrounds
Then maybe this was Eddies main point but perhaps badly articulated. If you want less of our leaders from private schools is it bad to come out and say you shouldn't be so reliant on rugby payers coming from the same place? And let's face it, the leaders we have running the country are probably some of the worst we've ever had.

Then maybe this was Eddies main point but perhaps badly articulated. If you want less of our leaders from private schools is it bad to come out and say you shouldn't be so reliant on rugby payers coming from the same place? And let's face it, the leaders we have running the country are probably some of the worst we've ever had.
That's an indictment on the state system then, the private schools are doing exactly what they should be and should be applauded for us.

My point was also that I don't think it actually affects the material outcome in rugby or politics, people aren't defined by a single characteristic imo. That doesn't mean it shouldn't change though, equal opportunity is transcendent of quantifiable positive outcomes and should be the goal regardless

There needs to be more routes for people from state schools into both rugby and politics, not less routes for those from private school. The system is capable of being a steady stream, but openings need to be found in the state system - I don't think that necessitates closing options for people from elsewhere

That's an indictment on the state system then, the private schools are doing exactly what they should be and should be applauded for us.

My point was also that I don't think it actually affects the material outcome in rugby or politics, people aren't defined by a single characteristic imo. That doesn't mean it shouldn't change though, equal opportunity is transcendent of quantifiable positive outcomes and should be the goal regardless

There needs to be more routes for people from state schools into both rugby and politics, not less routes for those from private school. The system is capable of being a steady stream, but openings need to be found in the state system - I don't think that necessitates closing options for people from elsewhere
Or just get rid of the idea that if your rich you can pay for a better education than someone who is poor. Same goes for health. The health and education opportunities for citizens (sorry subjects) should be equal for all. Not saying, you've got money then come over here and we'll make sure your kid has a cushy life moving forward.

Sunak, "I'd rather lose doing the right thing than make ridiculous promises to win an election" he says after making ridiculous promises.

Sunak, "I'd rather lose doing the right thing than make ridiculous promises to win an election" he says after making ridiculous promises.
Apparently shifting funding away from deprived urban areas and towards affluent, Tory supporting rural areas is "the right thing".

Latest posts