• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

What's the context for this?

The Republicans saying one thing then distancing themselves from it in the clip?
Republicans are refusing to raise the debt ceiling and are using it to blackmail Biden and the Democrats into making massive cuts or the whole government shuts down. Funny how Republicans keep playing this game but, when Trump absolutely exploded the debt, Republicans didn't say a word and Democrats didn't play any games with the debt ceiling.

Part of what was being proposed is cuts to social security, medicare and medicaid, highly unpopular decisions but ones wealthy benefactors would love to see go through. It will be a case of Republicans trying to force through an unpopular and damaging proposal and then blaming the Democrats. A Republican called Rick Scott had tabled a proposal that all spending should have a sunset clause, ie it would automatically expire after a set amount of time unless the spending was renewed. It has mixed support among Republicans.

By bringing that up, Republicans leapt at the opportunity to call him a liar and throw accusations at him. Of course that footage of them going so over the top in their denial they would do anything to social security, medicare or medicaid will be used against them should they ever decide to go after those programs. I wouldn't even say it was much of a trap, but the Republicans at the moment are so thick and so vindictive that they gave Biden a perfect opportunity to put them in a bind. They also couldn't do all that and then not applaud him saying that there was unanimous consent they would not be touched.

A perfect hoisted by their own petard.

FobGDJHWcAEpkIO

Last edited:
I wonder what % of people would vote to bring the death penalty back if you put it to them in a referendum, any guesses? The pessimist in me would say you'd probably have 60% plus saying yes but maybe it'd be more likely around the 25%-30% region

Its hard to get real figures 54% for convicted terrorists.

Of course that's an emotional response to an emotional question. My version would be "Should the state murder people?" I suspect I'll get far less than 54% for that.

I don't think much like Brexit people engage with the question enough you only have to watch Hislop's infamous taking down of Patel on the matter to see how it falls apart like a house of cards. Because people don't consider what happens with a miscarriage of justice.

People don't commit crime if they are executed. It's a shame the loon can't get his head around the fact the UK executed some people who hadn't committed any crime at all.

There have been some bad MPs but seriously, how could someone like this get elected?
I think the real question is how could someone like him get selected. Okay I know how,

Finding candidates in elections is bloody hard especially in areas where your main job is getting an ass kicking by the high profile current member of parliament.
Mr. Clegg and LD's enjoyed since 1997 over 50% of the popular vote and in the purging of LD's in 2005 still kept his job. In 2017 May calls a snap election and Sheffield Hallam Labour need someone quick to make sure Labour have a person on the ballot. Enter one Jared who doesn't go through the normal vetting process as he's going to lose anyway.

The elected bit is easier Clegg no longer a party leader and deputy PM looses the votes that would of given him. That with his staunch anti-Brexit stance, May running a terrible campaign and Corbyn doing the best you could expect him to do. Is just enough to push Jared over the line before anyone realise what a fucker he really is.

I think the real question is how could someone like him get selected. Okay I know how,

Finding candidates in elections is bloody hard especially in areas where your main job is getting an ass kicking by the high profile current member of parliament.
Mr. Clegg and LD's enjoyed since 1997 over 50% of the popular vote and in the purging of LD's in 2005 still kept his job. In 2017 May calls a snap election and Sheffield Hallam Labour need someone quick to make sure Labour have a person on the ballot. Enter one Jared who doesn't go through the normal vetting process as he's going to lose anyway.

The elected bit is easier Clegg no longer a party leader and deputy PM looses the votes that would of given him. That with his staunch anti-Brexit stance, May running a terrible campaign and Corbyn doing the best you could expect him to do. Is just enough to push Jared over the line before anyone realise what a fucker he really is.

That Corbyn performance at the snap election was scary. Yes May was awkward, unelectable and there was a Brexit protest vote in play but so many people just voted for Corbyn because he was an underdog in a worn out old suit. People assumed he was our answer to Bernie Sanders and didn't even bother to look into his beliefs and what he stood for.

That Corbyn performance at the snap election was scary. Yes May was awkward, unelectable and there was a Brexit protest vote in play but so many people just voted for Corbyn because he was an underdog in a worn out old suit. People assumed he was our answer to Bernie Sanders and didn't even bother to look into his beliefs and what he stood for.
There's also the simple fact that many people would have just voted labour and have had no idea who their local candidate was.

There's also the simple fact that many people would have just voted labour and have had no idea who their local candidate was.
Oh that's always the case people pick party rather than person except in specific local circumstances.

Our of interest, I'm sure these two things are entirely unrelated... right?

I think it would be really valuable if schools taught kids more about our electoral system, political parties and basically the responsibilities of being a voter. I know some of that may be covered by some optional subjects but it would be good if it was made mandatory in order to get kids interested in politics from a young age.

There is far too much uninformed / ill informed voting going on and it's mainly down to voter laziness and all the BS that we are fed through the media. It would be good if we taught kids the importance of investing a bit of time looking into what political parties stand for. It would hopefully lead to more informed voting which would you hope would give fairer election results.

I think it would be really valuable if schools taught kids more about our electoral system, political parties and basically the responsibilities of being a voter. I know some of that may be covered by some optional subjects but it would be good if it was made mandatory in order to get kids interested in politics from a young age.

There is far too much uninformed / ill informed voting going on and it's mainly down to voter laziness and all the BS that we are fed through the media. It would be good if we taught kids the importance of investing a bit of time looking into what political parties stand for. It would hopefully lead to more informed voting which would you hope would give fairer election results.
I remember when I was at uni in the 2010 election. I heard so much stuff like "I was expecting to see Cameron, Clegg and Brown's faces on the ballot box." They honestly had no idea how the system worked and these were supposed to be people clever enough to go to university. It's simply a lack of education and it's not just on elections.

Unfortunately I could see it being a failure. Many people in this country simply don't care and trying to force them to care won't change it. Just look at any PSHE (or whatever it is called now) class and see how it's treated as a joke.

Unfortunately I could see it being a failure. Many people in this country simply don't care and trying to force them to care won't change it. Just look at any PSHE (or whatever it is called now) class and see how it's treated as a joke.

I would tend to look at it more glass half full. Even if it got 20-30%+ kids more interested then it would be better than nothing. It might even get them excited about casting their very first vote and stop them falling into the trap of voting for who their parents vote for. Many kids in my class weren't interested in maths or English but still had to attend lessons.

Latest posts