• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Makes sense, that's where we do our best thinking.

I wonder what percentage of male inventions were sparked by a trip to the throne.

I mean Macron is being full of it given his past especially.
But Johnson is given him such a easy goal to score election points it's crazy.

I mean Macron is being full of it given his past especially.
But Johnson is given him such a easy goal to score election points it's crazy.
Yeah its less off Macron being a saint and more look our PM arsed it up again.

Its like the Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe situation Iran is a shite country looking for an excuse but our Foreign Secretary at the time bungled it and gave them the excuse (also Boris Johnson).

Restoration is always tricky - assuming there's nothing offensive about the original, then I agree that it should be as close as possible to the original... EXCEPT that the new work should be obviously new, not masquerading as old. Someone looking at it in 200 years time should be able to trace the repairs easily enough, without needing a guide.

The alternative is to treat it more like a remodelling, as has happened many, many times before; be honest and respectful to the original, but using modern materials and methods. It's a perfectly valid option, but not my favoured.

635840063719882007-RESIZEDbensonCOLORA--Trump-Turkey-11-25-15.jpg

So apparently Arizona is conducting another ballot "investigation". This is just getting more and more farcical. The complete disregard for the democratic result in the USA among Republicans, combined with coordinated voter suppression laws and the crass hypocrisy is genuinely worrying. The Republicans seem to be positioning themselves to rig future elections by outright denying the results and packing all the positions involved with their cronies. Other states have introduced laws to allow the governor to simply switch out the election officials with whoever they want, this is ONLY occurring in Republican states.

So apparently Arizona is conducting another ballot "investigation". This is just getting more and more farcical. The complete disregard for the democratic result in the USA among Republicans, combined with coordinated voter suppression laws and the crass hypocrisy is genuinely worrying. The Republicans seem to be positioning themselves to rig future elections by outright denying the results and packing all the positions involved with their cronies. Other states have introduced laws to allow the governor to simply switch out the election officials with whoever they want, this is ONLY occurring in Republican states.
This is really the last gasp for the Republican Party in its current iteration. They will do all that they can to ensure their survival, but they are fighting a losing battle. The slow but steady change in demographics is inexorable and no matter how much they would wish otherwise, the WASP vote is never going to be able to pick up the slack.

Barring some epic legislative shithousery, I think Texas will go blue in the next 15-20 years. They will not be competitive nationally at that point.

We could see all manner of things. Proposals to alter electoral college, a rise in the number of blue-dogs (better to work from within), applications for secession, etc.

One thing is clear though; violence is going to surge. You thought the last interregnum was bloody? Think again. You have many tens of millions of Americans, wholly susceptible to conspiracy, armed to the teeth, who think their way of life and their existence are under dire, imminent threats.

I'm not declaring allegiance to any position on the political spectrum, but combine the Murdochian rip current pulling the pundits and populace to the rabid Right since the 90's with an increasingly censorial regressive Left, add in race and massive wealth inequality and . . .

Any guesses?

This is really the last gasp for the Republican Party in its current iteration. They will do all that they can to ensure their survival, but they are fighting a losing battle. The slow but steady change in demographics is inexorable and no matter how much they would wish otherwise, the WASP vote is never going to be able to pick up the slack.

Barring some epic legislative shithousery, I think Texas will go blue in the next 15-20 years. They will not be competitive nationally at that point.

We could see all manner of things. Proposals to alter electoral college, a rise in the number of blue-dogs (better to work from within), applications for secession, etc.

One thing is clear though; violence is going to surge. You thought the last interregnum was bloody? Think again. You have many tens of millions of Americans, wholly susceptible to conspiracy, armed to the teeth, who think their way of life and their existence are under dire, imminent threats.

I'm not declaring allegiance to any position on the political spectrum, but combine the Murdochian rip current pulling the pundits and populace to the rabid Right since the 90's with an increasingly censorial regressive Left, add in race and massive wealth inequality and . . .

Any guesses?
Republicans are trying to make America an oligarchy at the very least if not a dictatorship. They are actively engaged in trying to pass legislation to make it easier to rig the election. They are actively engaged in voter suppression and intimidation. Last election you had armed crowds trying to disrupt the count. They have stacked the supreme court in their favour. While they'll continue to pretend to be democratic, they are at this point trying to win an election before the voters even vote.

This then combines with armed groups and militia around America who will help enforce these new changes through violence and intimidation. If a republican doesn't win in the next election then the storming of the capital could well just look like a mild protest by comparison to what will happen.

Confirmed last night and during a speech being made by Rayner who, apparently, didn't know the details of the reshuffle
Tom Watson never knew when Corbyn did one either unsure if Prescott was ever consulted even when in power. Deputy Lab Leader has always been more of cremonial position to whichever faction is out of power.

Twitter is pretty much its usual factionalised self. Real test will be if they can actually make names for themselves in a good public light. Cooper is pretty well known and her husband Balls is pretty popular minor celebrity these days. Lammy is the other big name but I don't know if hes that well known outside of people who know politics.

I will say this pretty much most of the previous shadow cabinet were struggling to get heard. I can barely picture them.

Adding stories like this to stories of ambulances being blocked in / vandalised for having the temerity to block someone's driveway - I think we may need a new law along the lines of "intent to manslaughter"
More likely for an ambulance to get blocked by people's atrocious parking. But yeah this is what happens when you whip people against life saving operations, the next thing that will happen is someone will die who was one the 'right ones' and people will act shocked. The RNLI have been abundantly clear even if it was a problem them picking up refugees (which they are clear its not) they can't make that kind determinisism because someone else will die because of it.

Hague now in list of former Tory leaders who think they've completely lost the plot.

Latest posts