• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

As usual the special relationship is only one way. Successive UK governments are so feeble and pathetic desperately clinging to the coattails of the USA to feel like we are still a big player.

The USA had shown numerous times they will abandon Britain at the drop off a hat if it benefits them. The only nation the USA seems to display any sort of loyalty towards is Israel.

Hopefully that will change. J Street has been winning more and more battles within the Democratic Party in recent years. It seems that millennial and zoomed jewish-americans (or at least those that are entering politics) are favoring a two-state solution.

While I can see that strikes are inconvenient do the public not realise they do it for a reason. Public workers can't negotiate their salary directly like private sector workers and majority work on a pay scale. The only way they get a rise is mostly through their unions. Never before have their been so many organisations striking and the common denominator is this Tory government. Now yes maybe they can't put all pay up to where workers want as it would exacerbate inflation, but also they are doing very little to help with the cost of living which has made prices soar. These people are only trying to do the best for themselves and families and all they are met with is a government of rich arseholes who are sitting in their cushy jobs and aren't affected by the cost of living. Instead of negotiating properly they try to blame the workers and change the law to limit they one of the key rights that workers should have just so voters don't blame the government.

The Tories squeezed and squeezed and squeezed pay and now it's all blowing up in their faces. There is only so long you can suppress pay rises for. It's been nothing but a stream of excuses for 12 years as they have made the public sector poorer. It's a systemic attempt to destroy the public sector entirely. That's always been the Tory way. When have they ever had control of the public sector and left it in a better state than when they took over?

This country could grind to a halt next year if even more pubic sector workers join in and the Tories will continue to fiddle as the country burns (or freezes).

What's the situation like in the rest of Great Britain regarding the Cost of Living Payment?

Currently Northern Ireland citizens have not received it and may not get it until February 2023.

British Government say they can't dispense it because it's up to local government to do so, but because of no Stormont because of the DUP.

DUP say the British Government can do it, but won't, because they want to put pressure on the DUP to get back into Stormont before any fix on the NI Protocol

There's reports in the news that paramilitaries are targeting people going to food banks and lending them money because of the lack of support in Northern Ireland

Last edited:
What's the situation like in the rest of Great Britain regarding the Cost of Living Payment?
The energy one?

I'm on a prepay smart metre so the money goes in first week of the month - all goes on electric, which is annoying (would've preferred half gas/half electric) but I guess makes sense as some people are solely electric so easier to just blast it out to everyone

The energy one?

I'm on a prepay smart metre so the money goes in first week of the month - all goes on electric, which is annoying (would've preferred half gas/half electric) but I guess makes sense as some people are solely electric so easier to just blast it out to everyone

Aye the energy one.

We've been told by the DUP it's the British Government fault we can't get it and the British Government say it's the DUP fault.

But interesting how they've applied it in England.

I understand in Scotland it's distributed as £60 payments, at least from a friend

2022-12-13_13h55_26.png
Noice Thats Nice GIF

An increasing priority for me, as a result of all the Tory sleaze, is to clean up politics and introduce stronger ethics and compliance within Government. While not perfect I liked much of what Starmer and Brown announced last week. Abolishing the HoL, more power for the regions/devolved Govts and more governance within Government. I would also like to see an investigation conducted in relation to COVID/PPE equipment contracts, similar to the one re. MPs expenses with criminal charges brought if necessary.

Latest posts