• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

I get the feeling that his reasons for Brexit being a failure are at the opposite end of the spectrum to everyone else's reasons for it failing.

I doubt the Lib Dems will go there again after what happened last time plus they're in a good position to hoover up Tory defectors who won't go as far as switching to Labour.

I feel sorry for young voters who have or had aspirations to experience living or working in the EU. What a **** choice they face at the next general election.

IMG_2006.jpegIMG_2007.jpeg
Just wanna leave this here as visual comparison between 1975 v 2016 from Wiki? Broadly 17m voted 41 years before to join the then EEC compared to 17m 41 years later. Of course demographic of population has changed. But over 2/3rds voted back then to join as opposed to 52% to leave. What will it take to rejoin? Another 40 years to see what an utter mistake it is?

You would think he realises that the penny has finally dropped for them that Brexit was based on lies.

Not sure I agree. There are still many Brexit voters who still believe the Farage line, Brexit is a failure, but because the government failed, not because it was a bad idea. This election will be won based on showing how incompetent the Tories have been. Not on reversing Brexit. Going there is a big risk for little gain.

It's amazing how many people can't see that Farage is a total fraud. He had no intention of governing or helping to deliver Brexit. He's just a mouthpiece.

I still think re-joining the EU is a non starter for many years. They seem obsessed with respecting the will of the people even if it involves continuing on this path of self harm for the country. The best we can hope for is incremental steps that lead to a closer relationship e.g. a Norway style deal. After enough Brexiteer oldies die off re-joining will be back on the table assuming there is sustained majority support for it amongst the electorate.

Not sure I agree. There are still many Brexit voters who still believe the Farage line, Brexit is a failure, but because the government failed, not because it was a bad idea. This election will be won based on showing how incompetent the Tories have been. Not on reversing Brexit. Going there is a big risk for little gain.
Yeh I don't see any of the main parties going there at the next election. As I said before it's going to take another generation to even get back to that question again. And even then the EU have right of veto to say no. They will want two main parties fully committed to rejoining and substantial support >60%.

How we have closer ties with EU is another question. But this comes down to the whole lie of being able to leave the EU and still retain benefits of it. Surely there are sufficient proportion of those Brexit voters who now see this was never going to happen? And how many in those red wall seats that voted Tory last time?
It's amazing how many people can't see that Farage is a total fraud. He had no intention of governing or helping to deliver Brexit. He's just a mouthpiece.

I still think re-joining the EU is a non starter for many years. They seem obsessed with respecting the will of the people even if it involves continuing on this path of self harm for the country. The best we can hope for is incremental steps that lead to a closer relationship e.g. a Norway style deal. After enough Brexiteer oldies die off re-joining will be back on the table assuming there is sustained majority support for it amongst the electorate.
Yep, I mean in that Sky news interview saying **** like "if I was in charge I would get net migration down to 30k…" is another BS lie and unprovable. Never been elected an MP and could never get it down to that level because it's impossible without crashing the economy completely. An utter arsehole cretin who should crawl back in the hole where he came from. Sadly there are enough voters who still like what he says.

👏 nailed it. Hopefully a lot of Tory voters are thinking along the same lines.

I feel described - though the name would be "2nd half of GenX" - brought up on hackysacks and rejecting "greed is good"

As for the elephant in the room - I'd say that these same people are fairly strongly pro-EU - just as much as the millennials, and for much the same reason (we went to uni with a load of EU nationals, and have been EU citizens from birth)

Last edited:

Latest posts