• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

This post is especially for our (British) younger-adult members.

Make sure you are registered to vote: https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
Also, here's how to register for postal voting if you don't know where you'll be (or do know you won't be at home): https://www.gov.uk/apply-postal-vote - especially important for students.
If you prefer to vote in person, make sure you have the right photographic ID: https://www.gov.uk/how-to-vote/photo-id-youll-need

And finally, actually vote. Whatever your political views, VOTE, make your voice heard, and make sure the process is as truly representative as possible.

For students, you are eligible to vote in either of your addresses, term-time or parental - All things being equal (safe seats versus battlegrounds) I'd go with the university location - student towns tend to have lower turnouts, so your vote may go that little bit further.
You wouldn't happen to know. I'm trying to get my wife registered for the first time, but we're living abroad at the moment. It's asking for an address to post documentation to, but it's extremely unlikely to arrive and other Brits here have never received post. Can we just register and the change to vote by proxy and we don't actually need any documentation they send?

I hate bringing up Nazi's but go to the Imperial War Museum and the Holocaust you really need to understand what a genocide really looks like.

Hamas (and Israel's) attacks are appalling but neither represents the intent to wipe out a people.

Do I think Hamas if capable would conduct a genocide? That's an entirely diffrent debate.
I've been twice and to Auchwitz, they're both incredibly awful experiences and show the evil we're capable of as a species.

But I don't think that logic is fantastic at all. Comparing the most meticulously planned out and ruthlessly executed genocide of all time, that was largely ignored by the world at the time, to one still in its infancy in a region that is rightfully front and centre of world media doesn't really work.

It'd be kind of like looking at the war and dismissing it because it's not as big as WWII was.

The ICC, Ireland, Spain and Norway have increased pressure on Israel in the last week and more European nations are likely to follow. This isn't support of Hamas but right now it's about limiting damage and Israel have caused more damage of the two in any timeframe you can choose apart from 24 hours on 7 October.

Two sovereign states, governments without Hamas and Bibi and his friends, rebuild in Gaza, settlers out of the West Bank, a demilitarised zone and free movement need to be achieved, that's ******* years away but there's opportunities to make the first moves now and it starts with pressure on Israel. Despite what Netanyahu says, they absolutely need the west's support, threaten to pull that and they'll soon fall in line.

You wouldn't happen to know. I'm trying to get my wife registered for the first time, but we're living abroad at the moment. It's asking for an address to post documentation to, but it's extremely unlikely to arrive and other Brits here have never received post. Can we just register and the change to vote by proxy and we don't actually need any documentation they send?
I wouldn't know, I'm afraid.
I would suspect you need to be registered first, then change to proxy / postal or whatever else; but I don't actually know.

If living abroad, I'd have thought it's the sort of thing the British Consulate would help with?

Just inquiring with her indoors. She works for local council I will chat with the returning officer (who's probably overwhelmed with these queries) so may take a few days.

I recommend contacting the returning officer for your council directly.

Her indoors say yup ring council and they'll put you through to the election team who will tell you what you need to now.

Well I've been saying for months, years even, that there's not a chance in hell Labour ever win a majority.

Have I ever said that there's no chance EVER that Ospreys win the URC and Wales win the next WC.

I think the biggest shock in that is the South West going Red!

News Agents on how stupid Sunak is with the decision to go to the polls. He's shown no political instincts what so ever.

Add this as well https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c9rr73w103vo

and the whole thing looks like a giant **** show. Honestly, I reckon the point about him being able to enroll his children in another school if he loses has some truth. It may not be the main reason, but in general he probably wants it out the way and in the likely event that he loses he can stand down and move on.

Also seems like several MPs are so unhappy they have decided not to stand. Not sure whether they were going to quit anyway or if it's in protest over the timing, but it's more candidates the Tories have to find.

I know Sunak is getting all the headlines but I won't be voting Tory because of Partygate, Brexit and generally running the country into the ground. Special shout outs to Braverman, Rees Mogg and especially Johnson who along with Truss are the two worst Prime Ministers in my lifetime. Who would've thought things would get a lot worse after Theresa May.

I know Sunak is getting all the headlines but I won't be voting Tory because of Partygate, Brexit and generally running the country into the ground. Special shout outs to Braverman, Rees Mogg and especially Johnson who along with Truss are the two worst Prime Ministers in my lifetime. Who would've thought things would get a lot worse after Theresa May.
Depending on your age but for me Blair is the only elected Labour prime minister I've known.

Latest posts