• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the same, though I'm kind of considering a Lib Dem vote for tactical reasons.

West Midlands has a lot of very very Tory areas,
We've got 7 seats, atm it's 2 Tory, 2 Labour, 2 Independent, 1 UKIP
I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 Tory, 2 Brexit, 1 Labour and then two remaining for "remoaners"

Voting green will just split the vote even if I've no love for the lib dems

Agreed. If you want to stick it up the Tories and Labour then the Lib Dems is your best bet.

I'm pretty horrified by how much support Farage is getting. He has openly stated he has no intention of becoming PM or working in Government and yet idiots still vote for him. Surely politicians asking people for votes need to make a commitment and be ready to serve, even in a coalition. Farage just wants to get publicity, sit on the sidelines as a pundit slagging off the Government of the day for messing up Brexit. He doesn't have the cahones to have a go at delivering it himself.

From what I can see, quite aside from environmental policies; there are valid tactical reasons for voting Green in most (English) regions.
Tory and Labour votes are shattered; and I think they'll get 1 seat between them for each region.
Brexit will get 2 seats from each region.
Lib dem weill get 1-2 seats in each region.
then it's between Green or Brexit getting the last seat (or a 2nd option for Lab/Con in bigger regions).

So on the one hand Lib Dem cold do with the support to get that 2nd seat by rights; but equally, Green may well be in a direct battle with Brexit (or Brexit, Con and Lab) for the last seat.

Personally, I went LD in an attempt to ensure their 2nd seat.

Environmental reasons are absolutely, 100% valid - although possibly already too late to save humanity; but way better to be too late than never

www.remaineu.org have done some analysis for each region on who to vote for IF you are tactically voting for remain
I don't know how good, thorough, or up to date it is withheld polls, but it'll be better than our guesses (and too late for my postal vote).

ETA, scratch that advice, they're discounting Green and CHUK as wasted votes everywhere, as green could be "mistaken" for a environmental vote, rather than a remain one, whilst CHUK are too new for the to work out - so they're just telling everyone to vote Lib Dem or nationalist. Which is pretty rubbish analysis

I'm away next week so won't be able to vote in local elections or EU ones but anyone who doesn't vote green in my constituency in the local elections is a major chode, harder in the UK with the crisis you're in though. The candidates running for the big parties here are far less charismatic than you're stereotypical loser politician and the environment is easily our greatest concern with things like homelessness and unemployment not being near as problematic as in other areas of Ireland or Dublin.

Mark Durkin is running for Europe which is where my vote would go, I have the utmost respect for him and his work in the SDLP and he'll be a great MEP if voted in.

www.remaineu.org have done some analysis for each region on who to vote for IF you are tactically voting for remain
I don't know how good, thorough, or up to date it is withheld polls, but it'll be better than our guesses (and too late for my postal vote).

ETA, scratch that advice, they're discounting Green and CHUK as wasted votes everywhere, as green could be "mistaken" for a environmental vote, rather than a remain one, whilst CHUK are too new for the to work out - so they're just telling everyone to vote Lib Dem or nationalist. Which is pretty rubbish analysis
These are euro elections so what's the point of tactical voting when it's not going to make a difference to what happens in Parliament

To the surprise of absolutely everyone, the stubborn old crone and the stuck in the 60's granddad utterly failed to achieve anything at all, or a pretty productive day as it's now known in British politics.

I'm away next week so won't be able to vote in local elections or EU ones but anyone who doesn't vote green in my constituency in the local elections is a major chode, harder in the UK with the crisis you're in though. The candidates running for the big parties here are far less charismatic than you're stereotypical loser politician and the environment is easily our greatest concern with things like homelessness and unemployment not being near as problematic as in other areas of Ireland or Dublin.

Mark Durkin is running for Europe which is where my vote would go, I have the utmost respect for him and his work in the SDLP and he'll be a great MEP if voted in.

In fairness a lot of the parties have copped on around the environment, at least at council level. From a relative who is a FG councilor I know they're replacing council lights with more efficient ones, replacing council vehicles that can be replaced with electric vehicles and recycling rain water etc and I say that as someone who would have Greens first or second preference.

Very poor to see 300 people protesting outside a state school in Birmingham today because they didn't want their kids to attend an LGBT awareness lesson. It's not even like they were promoting gay marriage and relationships but rather an awareness thing to promote equality and tolerance. This is what happens when you shove one religion down a child's throat before they can get the chance to decide for themselves. This kind of thing will only increase division within communities.

60601071_611289499379195_1969439682869592064_n.jpg

Tories in chaos. Leadsome quits. May stays. 22 bottle it.

You'd like to think May's staying so she can take the blame for tomorrow's election catastrophe and resign. But I might just have a sneaky £10 for her to still be in office in 2022.

Just heard that the leader of Change UK offered to resign earlier this week over differences of opinion over tactical voting.

If Screaming Lord Such was still around he'd be representing the Monster Raving Sanity Party. And probably be PM.

Voted weeks ago* Lib Dem - at the time I wasn't sure how many votes CHUK would steal, or how viable the Green vote would be.
If the latest polls are accurate, Greens should get a seat, whilst Lib Dem are fighting to get a 2nd - so that'd also be my tactical vote as of today.

The joys of a postal vote AND living in England

Personally see it as a pointless election.
We leave soon enough anyhow.
A total waste of time and money, no one has anything constructive to say or do v Europe.

NB.This is the first and hopefully the last time I shall have not voted since I had the vote 40 yrs ago.

In this instance not voting is better than a pointless protest vote.

The Tories are a joke. Not one of them is thinking about the national interest and all out for themselves. Initially rejecting May's deal then backing it and then rejecting it again - WTF?! Anyone with leadership ambitions who has flip flopped like this should be called out instead of posing in kitchens with their partners.

The Leave campaign literature clearly stated that the UK would leave WITH a deal. There is therefore no mandate for No deal. The default position of crashing out without a deal in the event of not reaching an agreement with the EU was written into the law and approved by MPs and not the people. The Leave campaign promised a deal and if they can't deliver one then the next logical step is to revoke article 50 or ask the people to approve No deal.

Leadsome has had a shocker by resigning on the eve of elections. If her plan was to get May to resign yesterday then it backfired. The Euro election results aren't announced until Sunday and there is no Parliament sittings next week which means May will probably survive until June by which time Leadsome will be yesterday's news.

Last edited:
Personally see it as a pointless election.
We leave soon enough anyhow.
A total waste of time and money, no one has anything constructive to say or do v Europe.

NB.This is the first and hopefully the last time I shall have not voted since I had the vote 40 yrs ago.

In this instance not voting is better than a pointless protest vote.

Agree wholeheartedly. Pointless election that shouldn't be taking place - simples.

We voted to leave in the largest democratic exercise in history by over a million votes.
Parliament voted overwhelmingly to trigger article 50.
Just get on with it.

If May's awful deal gets rejected again (and it should be as it really is that bad) then imo she has to resign and make way for somebody who truly believes in Brexit and is prepared to leave on WTO terms ASAP.

Brexit Party for me and hopefully this is the end of it all.

P:S: I actually voted remain but democracy and honouring people's choices is more important to me.

Already hearing reports of several EU citizens being denied a vote because the council didn't have time to get the paperwork out to them
Interesting view of "Nobody" there - plenty of people have been talking about worker's rights, women's rights, animal rights,consumer rights, environmental protections, peace, scientific collaboration and advancement, not getting raped by the US, trade deals that actually exist...

P:S: I actually voted remain but democracy and honouring people's choices is more important to me.
Let me guess - but you're completely opposed to the idea of letting people be democratic and having a choice when there's some actual information and evidence to inform said decision?

I'm delighted to hear that you've voting for wanna-be fascists, NHS destroyers, homophobes, misogynists who want to bankrupt the country for their own personal gain.
I'm also so glad that democracy is so important to you that you'd rather the highly democratic WTO over the anti-democratic EU. You can tell by the way that only one of those bodies ever holds any elections.
Personally, I'm happy to oppose all such aspects to the best of my ability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts