• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tories (expected for government in power) and Labour (unexpected for official opposition) both getting huge kicking in local elections. Anti Brexit parties doing extremely well.

The EU elections are different to general elections aren't they?
So my pro-EU vote, in my 70% Tory stronghold, will actually matter?

It uses preferential voting followed by PR for 5-7ish candidates. So yup unless your region is staunchly Tory your vote matters.

Intriguingly these seats were contested in the 2015 general election that destroyed the Lib Dems, they've already won more seats and council than they had back then.

These ones are local, rather than EU; but EU elections are proportional representation, with the nation being divided into 9 consitituencies getting 5-7 MEPs each (I think that's right). Consequently, tactical voting is utterly pointlesss, so just vote for whom you want to be represented by (or who agrees with your stance on the EU, as it really will be a single-issue vote, with typically low turnout, meaning that each individual vote counts for more).

State of play in the locals from about 2 hours ago (most up to date I can easily find in handy graph format)
https://twitter.com/bbcelection/status/1124262307196997634

ETA: just copy/pasting a post from elsewhere on the EU electoral system (not my original, but a good summary):

"The D'Hondt system aims to assign each seat to the largest number of votes.

For simplicity's sake, lets assume the East Midlands region has 1.000.000 votes. In the example quoted Brexit Party has 300.000 votes, Labour has 200.000, Conservatives 160.000 and Lib-Dems 90.000 (we'll ignore the rest for now). So the first of the 5 seats should obviously go to the Brexit Party. This seat would represent 300.000 votes. Second goes to Labour, and represents 200.000 votes, and third to the Tories, representing 160.000 votes. Now we could give the fourth seat to the Lib-Dems, but it would only represent 90.000 votes. If we give it to the Brexit Party instead, though, it would represent 150.000 votes (half of the votes the Brexit Party got). Similarly with the fifth and final seat, if we give it to Labour it will represent 100.000 seats, which is more than the Lib-Dems got, so to Labour it goes.

Some people criticize the D'Hondt system for under-representing minority parties (which it does), but it has a solid rationale behind it."

Last edited:
Both Labour and Tory saying the result is saying deliver Brexit.....thats some almighty spin.

Both Labour and Tory saying the result is saying deliver Brexit.....thats some almighty spin.
Theresa's spokesman specifically saying that it's not expressing displeasure at Theresa, or her government, or her party, but at parliament as a whole for not agreeing with Theresa.
Her delusions reach new levels (or possibly just her willingness to outright lie)

The sad thing is that both May and Corbyn will bury their heads in the sand and refuse to take note of the statement people are making through these elections. All we'll hear about is the 17.4 million people who voted for Brexit three F'ing years ago.

At least people are starting to recognise how useless Labour under Corbyn are. So many people swept up by Corbyn mania at the last GE without even bothering to find out what he actually stands for.

Last edited:
Theresa's spokesman specifically saying that it's not expressing displeasure at Theresa, or her government, or her party, but at parliament as a whole for not agreeing with Theresa.
Her delusions reach new levels (or possibly just her willingness to outright lie)

It's taking being in denial to a whole new level. It really annoys me when May tries to frame it as her and the people being let down by Parliament.

It's taking being in denial to a whole new level. It really annoys me when May tries to frame it as her and the people being let down by Parliament.
Well to be fair we are being let down by parliament just not in the way they believe.

Theresa May says there is a "simple message" for both Tories and Labour from the local election results: "Just get on and deliver Brexit."

Lib Dems make the biggest gains.

Must be because people want Brexit....

The latest spin is that Brexit voters are not voting due to their displeasure.

she's part right. It is a simple message. That message is also clear and obvious.
She's just missed what I actually is

It's staggering how she can just make stuff up. How does she know why people voted the way they did, especially when both main Brexit supporting parties lost hundreds of seats. More verbal dung to keep her party happy.

While Green and Lib Dem gains may be due to vote for remain, I'm going to wait until the European elections when Change and Brexit parties get involved. That will give a much clearer view of where people stand.

Talking of spin: UKIP's Lawrence Webb says the party's local election performance shows that the party's fortunes are "on the up."
Meanwhile
D5pbEp8WwAAyngm.jpg

It's more they have improve since the last general election than in these particular seats. Yes they they are losing seats, but compared to the 2017 election, they are doing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts