• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Wii Problem

of course once I get to actually play it bit more :D. and get component cable they don't arrive in nz until next week :(

I will say though that wii sports is quite fun. golf will be a laugh with mates and some beers.

Convince me to buy one Esoj. I am that close to getting one but I am doubting myself as people always say that it is silly to buy consoles at launch.

The baseball on wii sports looks mint.

well it's buy one now or wait till next year for new stock to arrive. apparently some places are already selling out.

I have been very anti-console for a long time but after seeing info on the wii I was very interested. the control really does make this console different from others. having full motion detection is simply awesome.

wiisports is very nice.
5 complete games on the one disc and it comes bundled with the console which I don't think many other console launches in nz have had.
you will be able to pick up and play most of them fairly easily too which is good. of course multiplayer is where it is always at and with the motion control it is simply awesome.

golf is becoming my favourtie game out of the wiisports games. it does a really good job of portraying the sport and it is a good laugh as well. a real proper golf game like tiger woods would be out of this world on the wii and in my opinion almost like playing it. the wii simulates real golf swing down to the finest detail, with the slightest change affecting where the ball goes and how hard you hit it.

zelda is simply awesome. it looks quite nice too proabbly not up at xbox 360 or ps3 standards but it does look very nice. this is proabbly the best out of the single player games from what I have played so far and read on the net. red steel and call of duty fail badly due to poorly implemented controls and other bugs. zelda though you can tell is class from the begining and was defintely well worth my purchase.

the future also looks bright. with more games to come the wii will be a good buy. I can see the potential for sports games on here already from what I have seen in wiisports. a rugby or cricket game on this console will simply be a new experince and will defintely feel like you are playing as if it were real life. multiplayer is a huge blast and will be even better once you can play people online.

the downsides at the moment are not many games and the controller pricing is slightly high. $100 for remote+50 nunchuck = $150 per controller set. however a lot of games will proabbly just use the wiimote. almost all of the wiisports games do except for boxing which needs the nunchuck as well. however this isn't so bad because I was able to get the console, extra controller set and zelda for $760 which is only just slightly more than the xbox360 complete pack which retails for around $700 and doesn't come with any games I believe.

Decided that f*** it I'm gonna get a Wii and did so yesterday. I could only afford the console with the Wii sports as games and controller is indeed pricey.

And blow me, it is freaking awesome. I hope that fight night comes to Wii. I've never played a fight night game but the Wii sports boxing game is so fun. Its like your are really there fighting (I get into the games, I'm always standing acting as if I'm actually there). You hold the remote and nunchuck in each hand and hold them up to guard your face. You then jab in real life to jab. You can only do body and head shots plus the big hay maker. You can also lean back and sway side to side to evade punches. Great times. The Wii sports are so basic too, so imagine when something like fight night comes along and really develops a deepish game. MADNESS! Also swinging the remote as if is a tennis racquet or baseball bat or golf club is f***ing mint! (I don't do any of this pussy flick the wrist ****, the kitchen sink and all swings is the funniest although not the most effective :rolleyes: ).
The bowling is average but i can forgive them for that.
I Hope the machine gets good support for games, as games like fight night, baseball, basketball, shooting and sword fighting games are going to be the shiz on Wii. Also racing could be cool if they made the remote a steering wheel and the nunchuck the gear stick and hold the trigger for accelerate.

I haven't even played multiplayer yet and i am f***ing loving this. Get one now!
Apologies if this you all cant read this, but I'm about to go play with my Wii. :toss:

good stuff mate. the wii is also fully compatible with gamecube games. so I might get some of them while I wait for more of the wii games to come out. as you said wiisports really only gives a glimpse of what could be achieved on the console.

apparently EA have sent up a new studio solely for making wii games so maybe we might see games like fight night on it. I know madden is already done for it so maybe more in the future. if you look hard enough might be able to find some cheap gamecube games around. my brother got me dancing stage mario mix and it was only $60.

I'm guessing to play game cube games I'm going to have to get a gamecube controller? Thats cool actually because I hear Resident Evil 4 for the gamecube is just soo good.

I retract my statement about the bowling being average. It is actually very fun and probably the best game to play if you have only one remote. Previously I thought you had little control, but the power you bowl with, the spin you put on the ball and where you release it (throw it half way down the alley or the picture perfect bowl) All come from how you swing the remote.

Next weekend I think I will hire Call of Duty or Red Steel to see how the remote works when using a gun. Should be freaking madness.

I have heard mixed reviews about both red steel and cod. some say it isn't too bad while others say both are rubbish and hard to play with.

I am not sure on the whole needing a gamecube controller for gamecube games but I guess you might. the dancing mario game came with special dancing mats that you use. considering the vast amount of gamecube games out anyway it would be worthwhile to get a cube controller I guess

Got an update on your console Esoj? Have you had any problems, Still enjoying playing on it? Perhaps you could give us a rating on the console, the games, enjoyment rating??

My mate has just got one, and says its awsome.

And the downloading screen are pretty cool too because the first level of mario comes up and he scrolls accross or something..

I want a 360 :(

Played Wii Tennis today. So much fun. Can't wait to get this thing, only 10 days to go :p

Got an update on your console Esoj? Have you had any problems, Still enjoying playing on it? Perhaps you could give us a rating on the console, the games, enjoyment rating??
[/b]

no problems for me. odd person in nz has got a dud console though. it doesn't read the discs properly and crashes but these people would defintely be in the miniority.

as for the console itself very nice imo. it really is quite small and the controllers work great with it. multiplayer tennis or golf is simply awesome. this is where the wii shines imo , as almost anyone can pick it up and get the idea in their first game.

this leads me into the games. wiisports is quite good may not have lasting impact once a few more games come out but for a launch ***le not too bad at all. 5 games and multiplayer action very well done. zelda is quite good haven't played much of it but from what I have seen it is defintely good for single player experince. the big letdowns so far have been red steel and call of duty 3. I haven't played these myself yet but almost everyone says these suck due to bad control implementation. far cry will hopefully be the redeeming fps shooter on the wii. have to wait a bit longer for that to come out here. proabbly going to try my first driving game very soon when I get monster 4x4 world circuit. so far from what I have seen and heard the wii proabbly won't be that great for fps games but sports games have huge potenial on this system and lots of fun multiplayer. madden 07 just came out here but I am not sure if I will get it just yet. might rent it out first to see if I like it enough to buy it.

overall the wii is great fun especially for the price. it is currently lower than the x360 complete package here in nz and you will be able to buy 2 wii's for the price of a ps3 on launch here in nz. the downside atm to the wii is that there are not many games out yet and some of the big name ones like red steel and cod 3 have failed. the future does look bright though with games like metal slug anthology and the mario games on the horzion. also things like the weather. news channel, online play and internet browsing are things too look forward too next year.

Glad to hear you are still enjoying playing on the Wii. Most of the release games will drastically improve when they release they're sequels.

yeah it happens with every console. some of the early games on or around lauch don't turn out too well. but ones further down the line a bit are often better as they have had more development time to work out how things work with the console. I got monster 4x4 world circuit last night will give that a bash tonight sometime.

ok just a quick one here. was just out at the mall and stopped in a store and they had some rolling wii footage of upcoming games. one of them that got quite a bit of a showing was marvel alliance. this games looks very good, it uses the nun-chuck for some special moves it looks like and it is also 4 player multiplayer in story mode.

I was wondering if i would ever have to get more nun-chucks(have 4 motes but only 2 have nun-chucks as well) and was thinking proabbly not but I proabbly will now for this game because it looks so awesome. you and 3 of your mates playing this game looks like lots of fun.

Is there an option to use the standard gamecube controller for games where the remote doesn't really work, such as fps and beat 'em ups?

Is there an option to use the standard gamecube controller for games where the remote doesn't really work, such as fps and beat 'em ups?
[/b]

FPS?! Do you realise the potential for the Wiimote in FPS games? It's like having a mouse but better because it feels like you're holding something. No more of this look-with-the-second-analogue-stick-crap. Once they've nailed down the control system for the FPS on the Wii I think they'll be an amazing experience. FPSs IMO have grown so long in the tooth, this may give them a breath of fresh air.

I'm not sure how the beat-em ups will work but I'm sure they can work something...like high/low sensing, you can probably jab and stuff. It'll be interesting how they work it.

some of the upcoming wii games that I saw on this demo display yesterday looked not too bad for fps. as for beat'em up marvel alliance seems like it is a winner from what I have seen of the way it plays. I guess I will find out next week when I will almost defintely pick it up.

as to the question about the gamecube controller I really don't Know. I don't have a gamecube controller so I can't test this out at all. for now I will say you might be able to. will require some research to get a better answer

I was wondering if i would ever have to get more nun-chucks(have 4 motes but only 2 have nun-chucks as well) and was thinking proabbly not but I proabbly will now for this game because it looks so awesome. you and 3 of your mates playing this game looks like lots of fun.
[/b]

You must be loaded! Wiimotes are $100 a pop. so, so expensive. Jus got my second wiimote and have been indulging in multiplayer action on wii sports. It is very fun, especially the tennis. Also used it last nite before we went out and played the baseball homerun derby and ten pin bowling for drinking games. Fair to say it was good fun and we got blottoed off it.

I am about to hire out red steel and give that a go even though you say its disappointing. IGN still gave it an 8 out of 10 so we will see.

I would be struggling but I my birthday was on december 13th so my bday present was a wii on the 7th :D. and my dad paid me for some work I did for him so I have a bit to spend.

Took the Wii round to my parents (both bout 50 yrs old) yesterday and played Wii Sports. Now the only electronic games they will play and enjoy is the pokies. They loved Wii Sports though. They said it was like they were really there ten pin bowling or swinging a baseball bat. They were actually keen for me to bring it round at christmas, so the whanau can play it.

Just thought I would put that out there.

Latest posts