• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks vs. Portugal score

Why does everyone think Portugal are going to be any worse than any of the other developing nations who have appeared at the RWC? They had to beat an experienced RWC team in the form of Uruguay just to get to France.

Of course they won't beat the All Blacks, but anyone who has watched their improvement on the 7s circuit will know they have some useful players. The margin will be big, but the Portugese will put up a good fight.

The thing with any sport the Portuguese could perform an upset... and I so hope they do for the sake of Rugby...

Why does everyone think Portugal are going to be any worse than any of the other developing nations who have appeared at the RWC? They had to beat an experienced RWC team in the form of Uruguay just to get to France.

Of course they won't beat the All Blacks, but anyone who has watched their improvement on the 7s circuit will know they have some useful players. The margin will be big, but the Portugese will put up a good fight. [/b]

Because Portugal is less than any other developing nations that made their debut in the RWC. I don`t know if you have seen the matches against Uruguay. In the 1st match Uruguay performed way under their level, missed some key players and lost in Lisboa, by 7 points. In Montevideo , Uruguay had a player sent off, in the 2nd minute of the mach; a foward, which is their strongest part. And they managed to win by 6 points, anyway; against a spirited, well trained but weak Portugal. And they are facing the AB`s

REmember Namibia against Australia.

The thing with any sport the Portuguese could perform an upset... and I so hope they do for the sake of Rugby... [/b]
I like you getofmeland...I like you.

Because Portugal is less than any other developing nations that made their debut in the RWC.
[/b]

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Nor does the idea of making fun of a new developing nation because they're starting out in their first Rugby World Cup appearance. They might lose badly against the All Blacks, so what? I wouldn't think any less of them and I'd be really proud of how they did. In fact I'd rate them above teams like England, Ireland or New Zealand.

Why? Because they don't turn up expecting to win, they don't turn up thinking that they are going to get an easy ride and will coast to victory. They turn up because they want to play and they want to show the world what they're made of. Keep your merchandising and aloof attitudes they say, we're here for the rugby.

I saw highlights of the repechage match between Uraguay and Portugal and I saw an excellent fighting performance against a very strong Uraguay who, even though they had a guy sent off, still were pretty damn good. Portugal were tough in defense and wore their hearts on their sleeves. More than enough for me I think.

They've earnt the right to come to the World Cup, don't try and belittle them or take this acheivement away from them. This will be an excellent chance to develop rugby in Portugal and I wish them the very best of luck.

<div class='quotemain'>
Because Portugal is less than any other developing nations that made their debut in the RWC.
[/b]

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Nor does the idea of making fun of a new developing nation because they're starting out in their first Rugby World Cup appearance. They might lose badly against the All Blacks, so what? I wouldn't think any less of them and I'd be really proud of how they did. In fact I'd rate them above teams like England, Ireland or New Zealand.

Why? Because they don't turn up expecting to win, they don't turn up thinking that they are going to get an easy ride and will coast to victory. They turn up because they want to play and they want to show the world what they're made of. Keep your merchandising and aloof attitudes they say, we're here for the rugby.

I saw highlights of the repechage match between Uraguay and Portugal and I saw an excellent fighting performance against a very strong Uraguay who, even though they had a guy sent off, still were pretty damn good. Portugal were tough in defense and wore their hearts on their sleeves. More than enough for me I think.

They've earnt the right to come to the World Cup, don't try and belittle them or take this acheivement away from them. This will be an excellent chance to develop rugby in Portugal and I wish them the very best of luck. [/b][/quote]

1 Nobody made fun of Portugal, I just wanteed to predict the difference between 2 rugby teams: one a super power proffessional outfit with a vast history, the 2nd a newcomer amateur team with great heart, which grabbed the last ticket. Seems you are too serious

2 In the South American Cahmpionship there are differences too (eg Argentina 152- Paraguay 0) that doesn`t mean that a team is laughing, but it shows respect by giving their all, against a lesser rugby nation. Another case I remember NZ 93 Argentina 8 (1997), a result that propelled changes in argentinian rugby .

3If you want to discuss it, an idea is to add more teams to the RWC, like Brazil or on the other hand go back to the 16 team format. Just post it and i`ll discuss it.

4 At last: don`t get angry; besides , who are you? Robin Hood of the rugby Nations????

In my room, I have my favorite manga ***les on a shelf and on my headphones pumps endless bachelor and lounge music (with a dab of Beastie Boys).

Galota, my poor misguided fool, why would I have anything to be "angry" about? Point four does sound like you are overreacting just a smidgen hmm? :)

My point towards people making fun of the new entrants is based on the idea of everyone posting how big a defeat it will be against the aforementioned newbies. I know, we've all done it, but after we predict 200 - 0 or something, we all snigger and snicker, shake our heads and make little snide jokes about how they play, etc. It just doesn't feel right y'know?

As for the idea of an expanded RWC I think, no, we should keep with the existing system where those who earn it, get to have a holiday of a lifetime with some of the great nations of the game. This way is better as regardless of win or lose, it gives the team a boost nothing else could compare with and they'll go away with smiles on their faces.

The conversions will have a great impact on the score imo. Just like against France, McAlister missed 5 kicks. 11 points missed out on.

I'm guessing 20 tries.

Shhh! Mimic is trying really hard!

Last week he managed to write his name in crayon!

Shhh! Mimic is trying really hard!

Last week he managed to write his name in crayon! [/b]

lolol, you just got served by Smokey Monkey - How does that feel?

I'm thinking a scoreline along the lines of the the thrashing the ABs gave Japan in 1995.

How does two times five make 11? [/b]

Who said anything about 2 times 5?
I said he missed 5 kicks.

If you watched the game, you would have noticed he missed a penalty. From memory, it was his first attempt at the posts.

In my room, I have my favorite manga ***les on a shelf and on my headphones pumps endless bachelor and lounge music (with a dab of Beastie Boys).

Galota, my poor misguided fool, why would I have anything to be "angry" about? Point four does sound like you are overreacting just a smidgen hmm? :)

My point towards people making fun of the new entrants is based on the idea of everyone posting how big a defeat it will be against the aforementioned newbies. I know, we've all done it, but after we predict 200 - 0 or something, we all snigger and snicker, shake our heads and make little snide jokes about how they play, etc. It just doesn't feel right y'know?

As for the idea of an expanded RWC I think, no, we should keep with the existing system where those who earn it, get to have a holiday of a lifetime with some of the great nations of the game. This way is better as regardless of win or lose, it gives the team a boost nothing else could compare with and they'll go away with smiles on their faces. [/b]

I have to admit my intentions were not so pure. You are right that this system encourages many 2 tier nations to develop the game. Anyway I think it is valuable to discuss the inequity of confronting and amateur team with a professional one; and in this point my country, Argentina, had some bad experiences, until the 90´s

<div class='quotemain'> How does two times five make 11? [/b]

Who said anything about 2 times 5?
I said he missed 5 kicks.

If you watched the game, you would have noticed he missed a penalty. From memory, it was his first attempt at the posts.

[/b][/quote]

Well it sounded like you were talking about "conversions" because you never mentioned anything about penalty goals in the original post. Who would know what happened in the France game? Anyways all is good now. :)