• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks vs Springboks, July 10th 2010

all blacks were quite simply superb not quite at the top of their game but pretty close to it. across the park they all played well and everyone was doing their roles. South Africa simply got blitzed in all facets of the game and never seemed to really be in the game. they will however for sure watch the tape and be bettered prepared for what the abs will throw at them in the next test. overall though a good first up win for the abs and the boks have plenty to work on and think about before the next test

Botha got 9 weeks.

Given his previous, its not enough in IMO.

He is gooooone from the rest of the Tri-Nations

I'd of given it the 9 weeks for a first or second time judiciary appearance. I really feel this guy has been there too many times to have got just 9.

I think a good deterent policy would be to warn the player that there's an X number of weeks waiting for him (on top of whatever he gets for a subsequent offence) if offends again within a period also deemed by the judiciary.

That'd make people fear their next ban far more.

9 weeks is a bit of a joke in my opinion. It's was totally intentional and not at all out of character. I presume though that Bakkies must be more or less on his last warning with the Springboks selection team, as he is hardly irreplacable and Andres Bekker and Dannie Rossouw are both in my opinion better locks anyway. I think we can expect a closer game in Wellington on Saturday, I know I will be attending!

Great game, was very impressed with the ABs especially Donnely and Read. Pierre Spies proves once again that he is incredibly overated. To steal a joke form Olly,

Pierre Spies - can run 100 metres in 10 seconds, can benchpress 1000 kgs, can jump 2 miles in the air, can't play rugby.

Am I missing something bigtime or does Pierre Spies do nothing in a South African jersey?

Nah dude you are totally right. He is absolute rubbish. Never does anything. Why anyone rates him is an utter mystery. He is clearly the worst player in the world. Doesn't matter at all that our entire team was horse ****, or that we hardly had the ball, stole nothing, and missed over 25 tackles. Obviously Pierre Spies just played his usual **** overrated game, which every single member from the NH cant stop pointing out. I mean, with a pack that gets hammered as badly as we did, Pierre Spies should have still scored a 100m sprint try, and monstered everyone. But of course, he didn't, so naturally, he can't play rugby, and is useless.

Incidentally, this happened right in front of Stuart Dickinson...

How on earth did he not see it?

Maybe that explains why he has not been appointed as referee to any Tri-Nations matches this year

****, was that before after he was sin bined, this attitude is completely wrong for a pro rugby player.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd of given it the 9 weeks for a first or second time judiciary appearance. I really feel this guy has been there too many times to have got just 9.

I think a good deterent policy would be to warn the player that there's an X number of weeks waiting for him (on top of whatever he gets for a subsequent offence) if offends again within a period also deemed by the judiciary.

That'd make people fear their next ban far more.

Well, there is something like that, tis called probation I think ;)

Fully deserved

I actually wonder that when the 9 weeks have passed PdV would put him again in the starting XV?

i think spies has to have a great attacking game, as (in my opinion) he is a bad tackler and not good at the breakdown either. the all blacks would be better off without cowan.

Nah dude you are totally right. He is absolute rubbish. Never does anything. Why anyone rates him is an utter mystery. He is clearly the worst player in the world. Doesn't matter at all that our entire team was horse ****, or that we hardly had the ball, stole nothing, and missed over 25 tackles. Obviously Pierre Spies just played his usual **** overrated game, which every single member from the NH cant stop pointing out. I mean, with a pack that gets hammered as badly as we did, Pierre Spies should have still scored a 100m sprint try, and monstered everyone. But of course, he didn't, so naturally, he can't play rugby, and is useless.

Well just as long as you admit it.

Dude our whole team is overrated. Once they realize that, and get their fat heads out of their asses, then maybe they will start playing rugby again.

i think spies has to have a great attacking game, as (in my opinion) he is a bad tackler and not good at the breakdown either. the all blacks would be better off without cowan.

Cowan had an choppy game after being nailed in the back of the head by a guy twice his size. He mostly shrugged it off, but wasn't as good as he was against Ireland and Wales (where he was good and was often rated in the top 5 players). I think it's a bit harsh to suddenly chuck him out of the team when he is a ****ly disruptive force with a good passing game (average last night) and brilliant defence.

Dude our whole team is overrated. Once they realize that, and get their fat heads out of their asses, then maybe they will start playing rugby again.

I think the SA media is taking too many pages out of the English media's book, I think this is the root cause of the arrogance that some players and supporters have adopted.
My overrall summary, which I make in a rather depressed mood due to the Sharks result is this...

Steenkamp- Was found out a little today, but I don't think there are any other SA props that could have done better in the scrums, he was anymonous in open play, did well to stall the scrum when Bakkies was in the bin.
Smit- Poor game from him today, had 3 or so poor throws, which he usually doesn't have. The fact he got subbed in thr last 10 minutes showed he had a poor game today.
Jannie- Same as with Guthro, but fared less well in the scrums. made a few tackles, generally played as most expected him to I think. BJ wasn't much better when he came on, but showed a little more urgency in open play.
Bakkies- The less said, the better.
Matfield- Did ok, not his best but certainly did not let the team down, didn't look that comfortable in the line-out, and his below his standard opposing at the line-out shows that it was not just caused by Smit's wayward throwing.
Louw- MIA
Burger- Normal game from him, if Louw (or Brussouw) was on song he would have been more effective
Spies- MIA
Januarie- Speeded up his delivery, and generally didn't too much wrong, but at international level you need to do more than what your job-description says
Steyn- Did what was asked of him, nothing more, nothing less. Felt he should take a little of the blame for the break that Miliania/McCaw had, as he got out-run by McCaw (I know he is no slouch, just Morne is a lot faster than what he ran)
Habana- Good game for him, looked for work on defence and attack. never got enough ball to do anything special
Olivier- The usual from him in an international. Not good enough, but deserved a chance after the S14.
Fourie- Did ok, same as Habana, fine on defence, never got enough ball in attacking positions
de Villiers- Lacked the pace to follow up on airial kicks, went too manuy times for the intercept, and struggled to maitain his defence position. Played like a wish out of water.
Kirchner- Did the job that was asked of him, did as most expected I think. Little running, and a few of his kicks went too far. Seemed fine on defence, but once again, fine is not enough.

Now to the All Blacks.

I thought most of the players played a very good game , bar Cowan. I can't add to what others have said. The ABs combined well, but seemed stuck in 3rd , as others have said, Hosea's inclusion could move them up another 'Gear'

Take nothing from the All Blacks, they weren't clinical but they were effective. Back to their best it seems

Roll on next week

Last edited:
Now to the All Blacks.

I thought most of the players played a very good game , bar Cowan. I can't add to what others have said. The ABs combined well, but seemed stuck in 3rd , as others have said, Hosea's inclusion could move them up another 'Gear'

Take nothing from the All Blacks, they weren't clinical but they were effective. Back to their best it seems

Roll on next week

On the topic of Gear puns, Gear may get a chance yet!
The All Blacks' coaches are sweating over the fitness of three of their players as they start to turn their attention to this Saturday's second Tri-Nations rugby test against the Springboks in Wellington.
Joe Rokocoko and Jimmy Cowan have hamstring and abdominal strains respectively and will have scans tomorrow.
All Blacks' coach Graham Henry says they are not sure how serious those two injuries are, but they are quite concerned about Richard Kahui. Henry says Kahui has a shoulder injury and it does not sound good because he has had problems with his shoulders in the past.
The Springboks have lost lock Bakkies Botha for the remainder of the Tri-Nations. Botha has been suspended for nine weeks for head-butting Cowan.
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7566004/blacks-injured
If injuries look to be too bad, I'd bring in Alby Mathewson to replace Cowan if it needs to be done, and Hosea Gear to replace Richard Kahui, with Rene Ranger taking Kahui's spot on the bench.

Last edited:
For anyone that didn't pick it up, i was sarcastic. I'm just over all of the NH WUMS saying our players are overrated. Happened against France last year. Happens all the time against Ireland. Of course when Morne Steyn and Spies play well, like against Italy, or in every Tri-Nations or Super 14 game last year, nobody cares. It's when we have the worst game of the year that the wolves show their faces.

I think I'm going to start doing the same. Hey, wait, i remember Jamie Heaslip doing that knee thing, and Rob Kearney playing like the worst 15 in history against New Zealand. Well, that one game then, is what i am basing their past and future careers on, regardless of any magnificent tries scored, or records broken. they are overrated, and useless. Anyone that is human, and has a bad game, is ****, overrated, and cannot play rugby.

NZ were dominant in all phases, all credit to them for a really good performance. Mills Muliana proved me wrong, I thought he would not feature with lack of match practice but he was solid under the high ball and instrumental in getting the All Blacks into the attack! As for Bakkies, what a "classy" display! I do think that it may work in the Springboks favour if he gets sited because Danie Russouw is in good form! Bakkies stupidity cost the Boks the game as there was a big momentum shift when he got sent off. The All Blacks made it count!

Our coach is fully responsible in my opinion. His **** selections and big mouth cost us all the time. I really can't stand him.

Latest posts