• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All time xv

Owencelt

Academy Player
after watching rugby tonight, one question they asked was who would be captain in your all time Xv. Thought I'd ask the same here. Who is your all time xv and who is captain? Thanks guys

1. Os du Randt
2. Keith Wood or Raphael Ibanez
3. Phil Vickery
4.Colin Meads
5.Victor Matfield or Martin Johnson (Martin was a better leader though
6.Schalk Burger or Thierry Dusautoir
7.Richie McCaw (c)
8. Lawrence Dallaglio(Kieran Read not far behind)

9. Joost van der Westhuizen
10. Dan Carter
11.Jonah Lomu(closely followed by Rupeni Caucaunibuca when fit)
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Bryan Habana or Jason Robinson
15. Gavin Hastings or JP Williams

There was a pretty big all time XV thread a while ago... my picks were:

1. Os Du Rant (SA)
2. Sean Fitzpatrick (NZ)
3. Jason Leonard (ENG)
4. John Eales (AUS)
5. Colin Meads (NZ)
6. Frik du Preez (SA)
7. Richie McCaw (NZ) (CAP)
8. Zinzan Brooke (NZ)
9. Gareth Edwards (WAL)
10. Dan Carter (NZ) (KICK)
11. Jonah Lomu (NZ)
12. Philippe Sella (FRA)
13. Brian O'Driscoll (IRE)
14. David Campese (AUS)
15. Serge Blanco (FRA)

Unlucky (2nd) XV
1. Graham Price (WAL) (Honorable M - Tom Smith, Tony Woodcock, Charlie Faulkner)
2. Kieth Wood (IRE) (Honorable M - John Smit, Bobby Windsor)
3. Carl Heyman (NZ) (Honorable M - Armand Vaquerin)
4. Martin Johnson (ENG) (Honorable M - Willie John McBride, Paul O'Connell, Brodie Retallick)
5. Victor Matfeild (SA)
6. Richard Hill (ENG) (Honorable M - Jerry Collins, Francois Pienaar, Ian Kirkpatrick, Ruben Kruger)
7. Michael Jones (NZ) (Honorable M - George Smith, Jean Pierre Rives, Thierry Dusautoir)
8. Mervyn Davies (WAL) (Honorable M - Lawrence Dallaglio, Buck Shelford)
9. Joost Van Der Westhuizen (SA) (Honorable M - Agustin Pichot, George Greegan)
10. Johnny Wilkinson (ENG) (Honorable M - Naas Botha, Andrew Merthens, Hugo Porta, Barry John, Jonathan Davies, Michael Lynagh, Phil Bennett, Jack Kyle, Mark Ella)
11. Bryan Habana (SA) (Honorable M - Shane Williams, Gerald Davies, Caucau, Brian Williams)
12. Tim Horan (AUS) (Honorable M - Mike Gibson, Ma'a Nonu)
13. Danie Gerber (SA) (Honorable M - Bruce Robertson)
14. John Kirwan (NZ) (Honorable M - Jeff Wilson, Jason Robertson)
15. Christian Cullen (NZ) (Honorable M - Gavin Hastings, JPR Williams)

T

1. Os Du Rant (SA)
2. Sean Fitzpatrick (NZ)
3. Jason Leonard (ENG)
4. John Eales (AUS)
5. Colin Meads (NZ)
6. Frik du Preez (SA)
8. Zinzan Brooke (NZ)
9. Gareth Edwards (WAL)
11. Jonah Lomu (NZ)
12. Philippe Sella (FRA)
14. David Campese (AUS)
15. Serge Blanco (FRA)

Unlucky (2nd) XV
1. Graham Price (WAL) (Honorable M - Tom Smith, Tony Woodcock, Charlie Faulkner)
2. Kieth Wood (IRE) (Honorable M - John Smit, Bobby Windsor)
3. Carl Heyman (NZ) (Honorable M - Armand Vaquerin)
4. Martin Johnson (ENG) (Honorable M - Willie John McBride, Paul O'Connell, Brodie Retallick)
5. Victor Matfeild (SA)
6. Richard Hill (ENG) (Honorable M - Jerry Collins, Francois Pienaar, Ian Kirkpatrick, Ruben Kruger)
7. Michael Jones (NZ) (Honorable M - George Smith, Jean Pierre Rives, Thierry Dusautoir)
8. Mervyn Davies (WAL) (Honorable M - Lawrence Dallaglio, Buck Shelford)
9. Joost Van Der Westhuizen (SA) (Honorable M - Agustin Pichot, George Greegan)
10. Johnny Wilkinson (ENG) (Honorable M - Naas Botha, Andrew Merthens, Hugo Porta, Barry John, Jonathan Davies, Michael Lynagh, Phil Bennett, Jack Kyle, Mark Ella)
11. Bryan Habana (SA) (Honorable M - Shane Williams, Gerald Davies, Caucau, Brian Williams)
12. Tim Horan (AUS) (Honorable M - Mike Gibson, Ma'a Nonu)
13. Danie Gerber (SA) (Honorable M - Bruce Robertson)
14. John Kirwan (NZ) (Honorable M - Jeff Wilson, Jason Robertson)
15. Christian Cullen (NZ) (Honorable M - Gavin Hastings, JPR Williams)
Thierry Dusautoir is a six not seven but I like the rest

France play left and right flankers, so technically he's neither. He was more of a 7 than 6 by his style of play and physique Imo, albeit more of a defensive 7 than attacking one.

France play left and right flankers, so technically he's neither. He was more of a 7 than 6 by his style of play and physique Imo, albeit more of a defensive 7 than attacking one.
Yep, I always considered him more of a 7. Similar to some Saffas over the years who wore the no.6 but were really traditional 7s... like Heinrich Brussow

1. Os Du Rant (SA)
2. Sean Fitzpatrick (NZ)
3. Jason Leonard (ENG)
4. John Eales (AUS)
5. Colin Meads (NZ)
6. Frik du Preez (SA)
8. Zinzan Brooke (NZ)
9. Gareth Edwards (WAL)
11. Jonah Lomu (NZ)
12. Philippe Sella (FRA)
14. David Campese (AUS)
15. Serge Blanco (FRA)

I always thought du Preez was a second row. In his prime he could shift, so maybe he did play at 6 for part of his career.

Stan Wright Shane Byrne Ollie le Roux
Malcolm O'Kelly Nathan Hines
Rocky Elsom Victor Costello Keith Gleeson
Eoin Reddan Johnny Sexton
Felipe Contepomi BOD
Denis Hickie Ian Madigan Isa
Coaches: Girv the Swirve, Luke Fitz
No joke, no bias.

Stan Wright Shane Byrne Ollie le Roux
Malcolm O'Kelly Nathan Hines
Rocky Elsom Victor Costello Keith Gleeson
Eoin Reddan Johnny Sexton
Felipe Contepomi BOD
Denis Hickie Ian Madigan Isa
Coaches: Girv the Swirve, Luke Fitz
No joke, no bias.

Wot, no players from Benetton Treviso!! 'Tis a scandal, I tell ye!!

I'd say Lomu, Gerber and Cullen are the only non negotiables for me.

1. Os du rant
2.keith woods
3.hannes marais
4.john eales
5.victor matfield
6.jean Pierre reves
7.ritchie mccaw (capt)
8.zinzan Brooke
9. Joost van der westhuizen
10. Johnny Wilkinson
11.jonah lomu
12. Phillipe sella
13. Danie gerber
14.john kirwan
15.andy irvine

Heavier than all of his peers I can think of and only an inch or two shorter. I'd have thought he'd have been a giant of a flanker in his day.

He was a hell of a player - and in my opinion, the Bokke equal of Colin Meads.

Yep, I always considered him more of a 7. Similar to some Saffas over the years who wore the no.6 but were really traditional 7s... like Heinrich Brussow
That's because they switch their 6s and 7s around, don't they? 6 is openside in South Africa.

A few Irish and Frenchies might have a bit to say about that lol
Happy to discuss and be corrected if presented with the right argument!
I don't think we'll find many disagreeing with Lomu, so I guess they'd say BOD over Gerber and Blanco over Cullen.
I'd be surprised to find many of them even know who Danie Gerber is, let alone seen him play. You could also argue Sella as a centre. It's not as if South African games were easy to watch from Europe at the time. We couldn't even play south africa as pumas at the time (we played as South America).
I'd rate BOD as nothing short of phenomenal, but i'd still pick Gerber. Maybe it's me, but BOD really shone in Europe. I don't think he made a lasting dent in people from the SH. The best centres at BODs time were in the SH and they seldomly faced each other, with mixed results.
Gerber's story is quite an appealing one. He was part of a team that wasn't allowed to play (for whatever reason, that's another matter) and he was arguably the best there. That kinda adds to the myth i suppose.

And regarding Cullen, the guy was a beast and is probably underrated due to injuries and coaches not exploiting him enough. Blanco was outstanding, but i always found him a bit weak defensively.

I might be a tad biased against blanco thou. My coaches when i started playing were of the idea that full backs were the last line of defense, therefore good tackling was a pre-requisite. You then build up the other skills from there. I'd say the same about people like Gaving hastings.
Things have changed. But have a look at cullen. He was good at pretty much everything. His weakness, if you can call it that, was probably his kicking game, and given his speed, elusiveness and ability to find spaces, he didn't need it that much.

This is of course heavily subjective but i'd need to be presented with something pretty conclusive to change my mind about those 3.

Latest posts