• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

American Football Back In Croke Park

C

cavan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
American football to return to Croke Park
Wednesday, November 23, 2005

There is anger in soccer and rugby circles at the news that American football is set to return to Croke Park for the first time since 1997.

GAA president Sean Kelly said that a college game involving Norte Dame and the Navy could take place in Croke Park within the next three years. The news comes just days after it was made clear that rugby will not be played at the famous stadium in the short term. Both the IRFU and FAI had hoped to play in Croker before the redevelopment of Lansdowne Road commences because of the recent fire at the Dublin 4 venue which has put the North Terrace out of commission.

But Kelly said that he was not afraid of any negative publicity over the decision to allow American football back into the stadium while rugby and soccer remained out in the cold.

“Why would there be? Notre Dame have an Irish connection and it’s a rare, unique occasion and it’s a once-off really.â€

He continued: “It’s probable that a game will be played there in the next three years. I was over in the US last year and met some officials. I think it would be a good idea to feature Norte Dame as they play under the Fighting Irish banner.â€

When Norte Dame and the Navy last met at Croke Park eight years ago in front of nearly 39,000 spectators, the former emerged victorious by 54-27.
dsc_0299.jpg
[/b]

This is kinda funny, considering soccer and rugby are banned in Croke. I would go along and watch if it was on though.

I probably would... If I lived in Ireland. Probably cheaper for me to go Yankeeville and watch mulitiple games.

eh i hate ND, if you wanted a real treat you guys should watch my beloved Ohio State University play (after all i do live in ohio), if you do go which you should since you guys dont get to much football there, expect ND to dominate navy...

Right so let me get this straight, Notre Dame have an Irish connection so let's have them play in Croke Park, now correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the vast majority of soccer and rugby players from Ireland and the rest also have Irish connections, surely this is a case of double standards.

Don't think that kind of crap washes with the Irish public, jesus he could do with a decent PR to spin that one.

Originally posted by cavan@Dec 7 2005, 02:25 AM
they're gonna rake it in this year with their BCS appearance.
Their $$$ circumstance is the only thing keeping them out of my Big Ten.

yea i would love to see them in the Big Ten, it would make it an even tougher conference, plus it woudl boost the already number 1 basketball conference..

Originally posted by Ripper@Dec 26 2005, 03:33 PM
I thought they want to stay independent?
They do want to stay ind, because of the $$$. But they were forced to join a conf in basketball. But, at least their regular season schedule will keep them from ever going unbeaten again.

croke park need to get there heads out of there arses and stop living in the past.

I guess the main point is that American Football is not a sport whose rules were established by the Brits such as Football and Rugby.

Originally posted by loratadine@Jan 3 2006, 12:10 AM
croke park need to get there heads out of there arses and stop living in the past.
So how in your expert opinion do Croke Park have their head up their arses and stop living in the past, and can we have an answer with a little more than they just should or some other monosyllabic crap

Originally posted by DonBilly@Jan 3 2006, 01:00 AM
I guess the main point is that American Football is not a sport whose rules were established by the Brits such as Football and Rugby.
Well the big thing with the GAA is that they call other sports 'foreign games', so this should include the likes of American Football and Boxing but doesn't. There's no link between any of the Gaelic Games and American Football so that should see it banned from any GAA ground.

Originally posted by DonBilly@Jan 3 2006, 12:00 PM
Yet it originate from Rugby...
What I don't get is that Rugby is the only game that unites south and north, so why not let them play it there?

that was one thing I'd thought about for a long time before the rule was relaxed and was a worry that the GAA would let the IRFU in cause they're a 32 county team and tell the FAI to **** off, thankfully isn't the case.

GAA also unities north and south. Teams from all 32 counties plus exiles in New York and London all compete in the All Ireland Championship.

Latest posts