• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gaelic football

Sorry got redirected to the top of pg 2

Also the O'Halpins are Cork boys through and through, and of them Sean Og (see the profile pic ;))was the only really top quality hurler. Thinks its their father who's Fijian.

More poaching players from the islands!

It really is an unbelievable sport...

Wanna see probably the third toughest man on earth strut his stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to digress slightly - Is GAA an amateur sport? So the players don't get paid?
I tried to google it, and I think that it's sort of semi-pro, so the players get compensation for time away from work due to matches and the such, is that right?

What kind of jobs do GAA players have then? I imagine they'd have to train a lot etc. so it'd be hard to have a 9-5 and then just train and play on the weekend/evenings

Just to digress slightly - Is GAA an amateur sport? So the players don't get paid?
I tried to google it, and I think that it's sort of semi-pro, so the players get compensation for time away from work due to matches and the such, is that right?

What kind of jobs do GAA players have then? I imagine they'd have to train a lot etc. so it'd be hard to have a 9-5 and then just train and play on the weekend/evenings

Just like when rugby was ametuar players have all sorts of jobs. Though unlike rugby not all are priveleged. Kevin Moran won All-Ireland medals with Dublin in Football and Hurling then went on to play for Man U in an F.A. Cup final. During this time he also gained a BComm from U.C.D. he then subsequently set up a football agency. Pretty impressive guy.

That's probably what a few of them do(9-5). Alot of them are teachers and a few get hooked up with jobs in the association(GAA) e.g Down manager can't remember his name. I was in the Gaeltacht last year with Bernard Brogan's(Dublin Footballer) godson, I can't remember what job he told me he had but I think it was an office one.

Yep most guys are working 9-5 ...well those with work alot of players have been forced to emigrate sadly :(

Perhaps it's very un-Irish of me to say but I passionately despise bogball and stick wars.

Prod.....

:p

Ah a good few people dislike the sports..personally I dislike the siege mentality alot of the old boys have regarding "foreign games" but I can say most of our Rugby Team is comprised of lads who were bred into hurling or football (mostly) families.

Aye, the commitment shown by a top level GAA player is immense. They'd mostly work nine to five and do maybe four training sessions a week as well as weights and matches. The Dublin footballers were training at seven in the morning or something stupid this year. It's very harsh on the guys really, they're basically expected to be pro's in terms of fitness and lifestyle and yet reap none of the awards.

As for what jobs they do, it can be anything. The GAA runs across the whole spectrum of Irish society so you have everyone from lecturers to brickies on the same team. A lot of the top players are things like teachers or bank officials though, jobs where you may get off a bit earlier so you can make it to county training.

Yep Killkenny apparently gear a lot of their younger players towards a career in teaching ..not only for the better hours but because the role models that the kids have coming up through their teens are the hurlers...a breeding programme so to speak

Kilkenny is a ridiculous place alright, Hurling obsessed. I haven't really come across many places more devoted to their sporting teams than in the GAA hotbeds. They're full on the centre of the communities.

Yeah they're weird. They call hurleys "hurls" and use words like "quare".

"Tha' hurl is quare nice"

Weirdo's.

That's crazy,
The guy who scored the winning goal in the All Ireland final could be the guy building your conservatory

What matches are on this week? I hven't really followed the football or hurling this year I watched the league final and the Down-Armagh match and I know that my favs Fermanagh are out (again) but what else has happened.

Actually, championship watch is a pretty good idea. Here's a quick recap of last weekend's results:

Munster SHC Quarter Final:
Cork 0-23 Tipperary 3-22

The defending All Ireland champions got their campaign off to the perfect start with an eight point win over traditional rivals Cork. Goals from the attacking dynamo's Eoin Kelly and Lar Cobett before half time helped the champions to pull away while a late goal from Benny Dunne goal sealed the deal. There's plenty for both teams to take from the game and Tipperary will go on to play Clare in Munster semi final. Cork will go into the qualifiers with a lot of pride and confidence having looked well able to match it with the best for long periods of the game.

Leinster SHC quarter final:
Dublin 2-21 Offaly 1-20

Offaly produced a respectable performance against league champions Dublin only to be beaten by 4 points in the end. Despite a poor league campaign, which saw them relegated from Division 1, Offaly showed the kind of performance that saw them go toe-to-toe with Galway last year in that epic 2 part series. Shane Dooley was once again at the heart of everything good about Offaly, contributing 1-13 in total. The losses of Brian Carroll to injury early on and the rather harsh sending off of Derek Molloy hurt the Faithful men's chances but that typical Offaly spirit saw them trail by only single point at half time. The Dubs, looking to build on their first league success since the 30's, dominated the 3rd quarter of the game and took a seven point league. Their under performing half back line looked frail however and memories of the Antrim fiasco last year must have been in the back of their minds as Offaly closed the gap to two points before a Peadar Carton set the Dubs on their way. Dublin will be happy with the challenge and now go on to face either Westmeath or Galway in the Semi final.

Other results:
Leinster SHC quarter final:
Wexford 3-16 Antrim 1-11
Ulster SFC:
Armagh 1-15 Down 1-10
Connacht SFC:
London 2-10 Mayo 0-19 aet
Leinster SFC:
Offaly 0-8 Wexford 2-16

Latest posts