• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Amlin Cup 2012/13: Round Four

Eliminating all their four current teams from the Challenge Cup would be a bit harsh I think. Even if they have not won any games, their two best teams (Calvisano and Cavalieri Prato) are not that terrible.

Calvisano only lost by two points to Agen in the first round, then I watched them play in Bucharest and thought they were decent despite conceding six tries. They even played well for the first 30 minutes in their away match vs Bath, when they dominated the game. After that, they ran out of steam and got completely stomped.

Same for Cavalieri, they managed close results against Stade Francais and London Welsh at home. I watched their last game (away vs Stade) and they were in it for about 60 minutes (Stade Francais was only leading 8-6 at half time). It's bad fitness that hurts these teams, they can compete well for some time but inevitably their gas runs out and they end up losing by big margins.

I would relegate Zebre to Amlin and promote a French or English team to take their place in the Heineken Cup, while giving an additional two Challenge Cup spots to the best two Eccellenza teams.

The remaining two Challenge Cup spots should be given to Georgia, Russia or Portugal (league champions or even a selection like Bucharest Wolves would do). However, I doubt that the ERC will include Russia and Georgia in this competition, due to the additional distance and logistic costs.

Shane Monahan seems to be doing well at Gloucester so far this season, I saw him make quite a few breaks against Bath earlier in the season and be one of his side's best players and he scored 4 this weekend against London Irish.

Interesting that after Leinster released him, he went down the Connacht route and failed to get any game time there either as well before finding success last season in the Championship scoring 11 tries for Rotherham and now 6 so far this season for Gloucester. He didn't get any in his 4 matches he got in Ireland.

And again, Monahan is a big strong direct type winger, there certainly seems to be more demand for this type of winger in England and almost none in Ireland. It was a similar story with James Downey who didn't get much game time at Munster or Connacht before doing well at Northampton. Big Eamonn Sheridan who left Leinster has immediately become a first team regular starter at Rotherham as well and scored 3 tries there this season.

I'm not criticising the Irish system, but there is they certainly have a different talent ID system in their backs, compared to England and now increasingly more France and Wales who have more and more big lumps with little skill like Banahan, Cuthbert and Monahan in their backlines.

Last edited:
Shane Monahan seems to be doing well at Gloucester so far this season, I saw him make quite a few breaks against Bath earlier in the season and be one of his side's best players and he scored 4 this weekend against London Irish.

Interesting that after Leinster released him, he went down the Connacht route and failed to get any game time there either as well before finding success last season in the Championship scoring 11 tries for Rotherham and now 6 so far this season for Gloucester. He didn't get any in his 4 matches he got in Ireland.

And again, Monahan is a big strong direct type winger, there certainly seems to be more demand for this type of winger in England and almost none in Ireland. It was a similar story with James Downey who didn't get much game time at Munster or Connacht before doing well at Northampton. Big Eamonn Sheridan who left Leinster has immediately become a first team regular starter at Rotherham as well and scored 3 tries there this season.

I'm not criticising the Irish system, but there is they certainly have a different talent ID system in their backs, compared to England and now increasingly more France and Wales who have more and more big lumps with little skill like Banahan, Cuthbert and Monahan in their backlines.

Oh Duck, you know how to get onto my good side. ;)

Wasps 17-7 Bayonne at HT.
Wasps have been very good. Particularly Vunipola, Sam Jones and Daly (who slotted a nice penalty from 55m). Can only be good with Lancaster watching on at Adams Park.

Just catching up (I still have two or three matches from last weekend to watch!), and I wanted to say that was a beautiful penalty kick. I even made my husband (who isn't the rugby enthusiast I am) come in and watch it. He said, 'Why don't they have these guys kicking for the NFL?' And I said because American football sucks. :D (Just my opinion, mind you...)

das