• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Andy Powell to stand up for the Saracens?

Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
From WalesOnline
ANDY Powell is set to be offered the chance to make a fresh start to his rugby career by Saracens, writes Delme Parfitt.

The Vicarage Road club are set to swoop for the troubled Welsh international at a time when he is suspended by his present club Wasps following an altercation with football supporters in a London pub that left him needing 10 stitches to a head wound.

Former Blues player Powell had been in negotiations about staying at Wasps after an impressive season at No.8 for the former European champions.

But he’s now understood to be heading to Sarries, who provided sanctuary for Gavin Henson earlier this season after his prolonged self-imposed exile from the game.

The big-spending English side are backed by South African billionaire Johann Rupert and are one of the few top-flight English sides still willing to really push the boat out in terms of recruitment. Their current first team squad boasts a mammoth 48 professionals and, while they failed to make an impact in the Heineken Cup this season, finishing bottom of their pool, they have already secured a place in the Aviva Premiership play-offs.

For Powell, who has said how much he enjoys being based in London, Saracens would seem the perfect escape route from his troubles at Wasps.

WalesOnline

Any jokes?

the tone of that article is the only joke. Signing Andy Powell is not 'really pushing the boat out', he's hardly a big name and if he's at Wasps then he's hardly on megabucks. And the first team squad at Saracens applies to anyone who has appeared for the first XV, even if it's the LV cup as a substitute. So many of them are academy players and not exactly going to break the bank. And cheers for making a point about an unsuccessful Heineken Cup campaign. This article makes Saracens look like Man City; we're only big spending only by the standards of the English premiership.

We may not be a threat in Europe yet, and we may have a very irritating PR machine, but it's time the media started looking past the South African influence (which hasn't exactly turned the side into KwaZuluNorthLondon) and gave us some credit for being runners up last year, and arguably the best team this year (home and away wins vs Saints and Tigers + more wins than any other side in the league). And the success has come from a fine balance of experience (Borthwick, Nieto, Joubert, Vyvyan), class (Brits, Barritt), excellent premiership level players (Strettle, Wigglesworth, Burger, Wyles), and our own academy guys (Saull, George, Farrell, Cato, Goode, Short, Adam Powell) etc. etc. Not a single galactico. And we should be praised for giving guys like Stevens, Henson and Powell a second chance.

[/rant]

You realize its called the Western Fail for a reason GG?

Watching the Sarries game today, if they were to get rid of Borthwick I think I'd quite like them
They played some very good rugby, but they're tainted by that arse

Wonder how long Powell will last at Sarries - getting into a routine now -> Get drunk, do something bad, move club, repeat.

I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable on regional media in Wales!!

Best way to be frank. Western Mail is the national newspaper but thats beside the point. The news part is good the sport is full of the worst reporters / pundits you will ever find.

Best way to be frank. Western Mail is the national newspaper but thats beside the point. The news part is good the sport is full of the worst reporters / pundits you will ever find.

I always have a read of the WM if I need a laugh.

Latest posts