• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Another rugby game being made

man this is superb news... just reading those articles and how they sound as if they're putting their all into this game, I feel this may possibly top Rugby 2012[not in sales]...

man this is superb news... just reading those articles and how they sound as if they're putting their all into this game, I feel this may possibly top Rugby 2012[not in sales]...

Thanks for the support from yourself and others. Though I'm curious at the qualification you make at the end of your sentence. You don't think the sales potential is there for Rugby Challenge? Why not?

Why will Rugby Challenge not sell amazingly well also?

It's for the best for Rugby if both ***les do very well. Buying both would be the way any true Rugby gamer would go. I have very good condition copies in my home sports video games library of :

Rugby World Cup '95 [Sega Megadrive]
Jonah Lomu Rugby [Playstation]
Jonah Lomu Rugby [PC]
EA Rugby (2001) [PS2]
Rugby 2004 [PS2]
Rugby 2005 [Xbox]
Rugby 2006 [Xbox]
Rugby 2006 [PS2]
Rugby 08 [PS2]
Zinzan's World Championship Rugby [Xbox]
Rugby Challenge 2006 [Xbox]
Stacey Jones Rugby League [Xbox]
NRL Rugby League 2 [Xbox]
NRL Rugby League: Live [PS3]

Still need to get a few more I missed when they came out for a proper history of rugby gaming, but with these new ones, I'll definitely be buying both.

Best news I've heard about Rugby games in a long time! For too long it's just been one company with the odd ***le... some competition would be brilliant! If they both prove profitable enough, we'll have the ideal situation in which both companies will be looking at what their competitor is doing better and then trying to better it in tern.

The only down side is the PC release... I really think Mario and co should make this exclusively console for at lease a year in order to mitigate the effect of piracy.

Heya :D

Thanks. I've been a bit lurky until now.

That's fair enough, pays to have a look around. When I think Milla I tend to think Jovovich, which isn't a bad thing to have lurking around, lol.

Anyhow, judging from the information available at present, you've all been working very hard at this and the initial screens of the first work done from the articles online look great. I'm very pleased to hear that customisation is once again likely to be a strong point of things.

If there was one thing I wasn't too keen on with the last Rugby (League) ***le I played from Sidhe was the constant appearance of the Rugby League 2 logo, about 20 or more times per game whilst playing. Whilst it didn't look too bad, it was just so repetitious. I never saw Rugby League 3 (as it was on the Wii), so I don't know if this is still part of Sidhe's thinking on how a game should look during play.

I personally think that as it looks right now, Rugby Challenge looks to have the edge over Rugby 2012... they've already got licensing from the Super Rugby tourny and the All Blacks and will have both online and franchise mode, then they've already ticked the boxes that a lot of customers consider essential (in the SH at least in terms of licensing).

Furthermore, I think that Sidhe have actually demonstrated themselves a more than competent developer with their previous three League ***les. There was a clear evolution in those. The first had good solid game play, but lacked features; the second had the features, but the gameplay took a bit of a backward step; and the third was strong on both fronts.

If Sidhe manage to develop a dynamic rucking mechanism in the tackle area, then combined with what they've already managed to do with the running/defensive game that they've developed in League, this could truly be brilliant.

Wonderful news fellas! I can't wait to see it :) .

I personally think that as it looks right now, Rugby Challenge looks to have the edge over Rugby 2012... they've already got licensing from the Super Rugby tourny and the All Blacks and will have both online and franchise mode, then they've already ticked the boxes that a lot of customers consider essential (in the SH at least in terms of licensing).

Furthermore, I think that Sidhe have actually demonstrated themselves a more than competent developer with their previous three League ***les. There was a clear evolution in those. The first had good solid game play, but lacked features; the second had the features, but the gameplay took a bit of a backward step; and the third was strong on both fronts.

If Sidhe manage to develop a dynamic rucking mechanism in the tackle area, then combined with what they've already managed to do with the running/defensive game that they've developed in League, this could truly be brilliant.

Wonderful news fellas! I can't wait to see it :) .

Oh what a good point! Good Ruck & Maul mechanisms will be one of the big things to give one of the two games an edge if implemented for sure.

You're onto it Sanzar buddy, Sidhe has the edge at the moment. From what we know allready and with alot more yet to be revealed and with control systems ( ie passing options ) from previous League games possibly going to be in the mix in some way this game could be something special for Rugby fans and sports game fans in general.

Excited for both games though although from recent developments Sidhes game certainly seems like it will have depth of features in spades judging by Rugby League 3s depth.

Last edited:
Well, hard to get all the coverage completely accurate without a little guesswork and some embellishments happening here and there :)

Yeah bound to be a bit of that. Just thought I'd show ya.

On another note, I'm fascinated by my own reaction to one element of this news. It's not really that important to the core game-play experience, but I find myself constantly thinking about who the commentators are. I might put up a poll asking not necessarily who they want, but who they think Sidhe might have secured for this 2 man job.

This is great! So thats who was taking the photos of the Waratahs.

I'm loving the ITM Cup in it and also the Franchise mode! The two things I want most out of the next game!

Has to be Tony Johnson and Mexted surely but any combo of these two and or Marshall and Nisbet would be ace...that is if they go for NZ commentators.

I'd personally like the Fox team in there but I also like the South Africans as well..

Has to be Tony Johnson and Mexted surely but any combo of these two and or Marshall and Nisbet would be ace...that is if they go for NZ commentators.

I'd personally like the Fox team in there but I also like the South Africans as well..

I'd say one New Zealander is likely at least, although that's just guessing. If it's the case, I'd say Nisbett's slightly deeper voice sounds slightly less New Zealand accent twangy than Johnston's, but still they are fine New Zealand commentators. If Mexted is a comments man, I'd love it, particularly if without going over the top he was able to make cleverly comical asides to the main commentator.

Of course the reality is that there is a good chance that there'll be someone from another country in the mix instead of two kiwis. If so, I'm hoping for a Mr Bladen.

Oh what a good point! Good Ruck & Maul mechanisms will be one of the big things to give one of the two games an edge if implemented for sure.

It's really the core of any rugby game IMO and it's what made Rugby '08 a decent game, but not a great one. Those EA ***les had decent passing and running, and the set pieces were solid enough, but the rucks were just far too automated. If either HB or Sidhe can develop a system in which the flankers really have an impact, then this will be a very good game.

For instance, if they could give players the control to get players "to their feet" after a tackle when opposing players haven't committed enough players to the ruck/or the player is isolated, then the game would be very lifelike. This would truly be brilliant if great flankers like McCaw or Pocock were more likely to turn players in tackles and had a clearly superior ability to get to their feet after tackles.

We still don't know how realistic they intend to go with this game, is it going to be sim with arcadey elements or a true sim with every aspect of gameplay as true to life as they can get given the budget they have to work with.

Time will tell.

It's really the core of any rugby game IMO and it's what made Rugby '08 a decent game, but not a great one. Those EA ***les had decent passing and running, and the set pieces were solid enough, but the rucks were just far too automated. If either HB or Sidhe can develop a system in which the flankers really have an impact, then this will be a very good game.

For instance, if they could give players the control to get players "to their feet" after a tackle when opposing players haven't committed enough players to the ruck/or the player is isolated, then the game would be very lifelike. This would truly be brilliant if great flankers like McCaw or Pocock were more likely to turn players in tackles and had a clearly superior ability to get to their feet after tackles.

I'd say having to tap a displayed-over-the-tackle (randomised order) 3-button combo to get a player swiftly to his feet and then a take ball control possibly like the R3 button on the PS3 would be great. It'd keep people on their toes and if you took to long to do that, then players will have turned it into a ruck and you'll be done for a ruck penalty.

If the fear is that they could lose new gamers to the complexity of rucks/mauls, they could also have rucks/mauls be able to be set to standard or advanced in the options maybe?

Latest posts