• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Anyone else getting bored by the Tri-Nations?

Tri-Nations Format

• Hell yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No it's boring

• What's this Tri-Nations you're talking about

• Total voters
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Aug 12 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Aug 12 2009, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
YAY! 6 Nations banter! I've missed it so much. Far better than inter hemi-sphere bashing.

England: NANANANANANA, you and your big fock off leage and you're still not winning that much!

Wales: ORANGEORANGEORANGEORANGE Henson's rubbish, you're coach needs to shut up. SuperRob is TEH BomB and is like 7048347 times better than Lee Byrne.

Scotland: All your backs are cack! I don't care if they're good or not they're still rubbish. NANANANANA.

France: Onions!

Italy: Sergio Parisse is the only good things about you.

IRELAND IRELAND IRELAND!

Cough.

and back on topic, I like Gingergenius's suggestions. Basically, needs to be a better organised season and bring in the argies.[/b]

You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottoms, sons of a silly person! I blow my nose at you, so-called Ah-thoor Keeng, you and all your silly English K-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-****its! [makes taunting gestures at them]
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough water! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! :%#%#: :%#%#: :%#%#: :rahh:
[/b][/quote]

Did you see what he called me??? Did anyone see what he called me? In fact what he called 'us'. He called us English.

Well damn you, you....em...ONIONS!

I agree with the majority of the people here that the format is tiresome. IMO it should be 2 Test against each side every 2 years. Someone did suggest this earlier, but I'll take it one step forward and slot in between WC's.

For example: 2010 = TN on; 2011 = WC only; 2012 = TN; 2013 = tour?; 2014 TN...

Maybe the good old tours should come back. This should work well as 2 SANZAR nations can tour or be toured while the other 1 SANZAR nation hosts the Lions tour.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Aug 12 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
YAY! 6 Nations banter! I've missed it so much. Far better than inter hemi-sphere bashing.[/b]
That's because you can actually have a comeback. What do you say to a NZ fan? We drew against you back in 19-something? :rolleyes:

The best format in my opinion would be three six nations tournaments running consecutively, with promotion and relegation between each one to keep these exciting and prevent the competition from going stale.

So in the first tier you'd have SA, NZ, Aus, Ire, France, Argentina.

Second tier you'd have Wales, England, Fiji, Scotland, Samoa, Italy.

Third tier a few of the smaller nations with a chance to improve.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Macsen @ Aug 12 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The best format in my opinion would be three six nations tournaments running consecutively, with promotion and relegation between each one to keep these exciting and prevent the competition from going stale.

Third tier a few of the smaller nations with a chance to improve.[/b]

And at what poiont do we realign the entire club calander of one hemisphere. Sounds like a fun idea but it's like uber impossible ever.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Aug 13 2009, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I agree with the majority of the people here that the format is tiresome. IMO it should be 2 Test against each side every 2 years. Someone did suggest this earlier, but I'll take it one step forward and slot in between WC's.

For example: 2010 = TN on; 2011 = WC only; 2012 = TN; 2013 = tour?; 2014 TN...

Maybe the good old tours should come back. This should work well as 2 SANZAR nations can tour or be toured while the other 1 SANZAR nation hosts the Lions tour.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Aug 12 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
YAY! 6 Nations banter! I've missed it so much. Far better than inter hemi-sphere bashing.[/b]
That's because you can actually have a comeback. What do you say to a NZ fan? We drew against you back in 19-something? :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]
That's not a bad suggestion. I always thought though we (Southern Hemisphere) could come up with our own "Lions" team (for example, 'The SANZAR XV') to tour the Northern Hemisphere once in a while.

Now that would truly be a dream team. Imagine a side with Carter, McCaw, Mortlock, Spies, Morne Steyn, Habana, G.Smith etc etc etc.
*drools*

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Aug 13 2009, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Aug 12 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]
:bravo: :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Macsen @ Aug 13 2009, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Interesting idea. Though I don't think Argentina is quite first-tier yet. And France definitely belongs there. THey just need to be a bit more consistent.

But doesn't this sound more like an alternate form of the world cup? Or is this like an equivalent of cricket's ICC Champions Trophy?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Aug 12 2009, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
And at what poiont do we realign the entire club calander of one hemisphere. Sounds like a fun idea but it's like uber impossible ever.[/b]
It would be played across the entire year, with the NH teams in the league playing each other around six nations time, then playing the SH teams during the summer tours time and autumn international time. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Macsen @ Aug 12 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

ok don't think i'm trying to moan about putting england in tier 2 (where atm we belong) but i don't think this would work.

For example you've based that tier system on the world rankings. For starters, the world rankings are wrong. Argentina get their high ranking from a great RWC performance, but have done nothing since and are no better than England, France or Wales. Ireland are up there for winning the Grand Slam last year, but Wales won it in 2008 and in the space of a year they've regressed to the level of the other 'better but not great' 6N sides. And France are so inconsistent they'll beat the All Blacks one week and lose 50-0 to Argentina the next.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Aug 12 2009, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Macsen @ Aug 12 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok don't think i'm trying to moan about putting england in tier 2 (where atm we belong) but i don't think this would work.

For example you've based that tier system on the world rankings. For starters, the world rankings are wrong. Argentina get their high ranking from a great RWC performance, but have done nothing since and are no better than England, France or Wales. Ireland are up there for winning the Grand Slam last year, but Wales won it in 2008 and in the space of a year they've regressed to the level of the other 'better but not great' 6N sides. And France are so inconsistent they'll beat the All Blacks one week and lose 50-0 to Argentina the next.
[/b][/quote]

Actually, throw France into any competition and becomes interesting. Because they destroy (at least) one teams chances every year in the 6 nations and then make another team look way better than they were and voila they come somewhere in the middle of the table....or they have one of those years and absolutely hammer everyone.

All the trinations needs is 15 <strike>onions </strike> frenchmen to make a team and there you have it. Problem solved!

On a serious note, I get the impression that the tri nations (as organised by SANZAR) plans are based around tv deals, so I presume any chance of a change in format (to include Argentina) comes when the current deal runs out, which is when?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Aug 12 2009, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Aug 12 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Aug 12 2009, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
YAY! 6 Nations banter! I've missed it so much. Far better than inter hemi-sphere bashing.

England: NANANANANANA, you and your big fock off leage and you're still not winning that much!

Wales: ORANGEORANGEORANGEORANGE Henson's rubbish, you're coach needs to shut up. SuperRob is TEH BomB and is like 7048347 times better than Lee Byrne.

Scotland: All your backs are cack! I don't care if they're good or not they're still rubbish. NANANANANA.

France: Onions!

Italy: Sergio Parisse is the only good things about you.

IRELAND IRELAND IRELAND!

Cough.

and back on topic, I like Gingergenius's suggestions. Basically, needs to be a better organised season and bring in the argies.[/b]

You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottoms, sons of a silly person! I blow my nose at you, so-called Ah-thoor Keeng, you and all your silly English K-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-****its! [makes taunting gestures at them]
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough water! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! :%#%#: :%#%#: :%#%#: :rahh:
[/b][/quote]

Did you see what he called me??? Did anyone see what he called me? In fact what he called 'us'. He called us English.

Well damn you, you....em...ONIONS!
[/b][/quote]

I did it on purpose, it was part of the rude french attitude :%#%#:
Also the nasty frenchman from Monty Pythons is taling to english people so I had to keep it that way.
As everyone is giving his dream competition here's mine, its feasibility being of no importance.

Next 15-20years :

Argies and Pacific Islanders join the 3N, and you play only 1 game against each other, making it sort of a SH 5 nations. This way each game is unique and stadiums will be full and TV ratings high, so Rupert Murdoch is happy. Why not inviting one extra team each year like Namibia or Japan or whatever, Ok they'll get thrashed by everyone but it will be good for their federation in terms of money and they'll be better during world cups.
I know the Argies live far from the 3N nations but you could imagine something like : 3 years out of four they just stay at hotels in SA, NZ and Aus and have no game at home, BUT once every four years everyone goes to Argentina and stays there. I live in Buenos Aires and I can tell you these years would be awesome, lots of enormous stadiums, and the best supporters. Plus the Argentinian people have no world cup planned at all for the next 10 years at least and all their good players are in Europe, so I think it would be fair to them.

In the NH you just keep the 6N, which is the bestest competition in da whole universe.

After 15-20 years :

Little by little, every team has become great, and you start thinking the learning phase is over. We have discovered new sources of energy which make plane trips ridiculously cheap and nature-friendly. You could then imagine that each year, one of the SH teams plays the NH competition and one of the NH teams plays the SH competition. The point of this is also to make it less boring, although I think you have to keep a NH one and a SH one and not introduce the idea of pools like Macsen says. First because some games are legendary, and I wouldn't want to lose them, like the Aus vs NZ or the France vs England (Im sure we all have our favorite ones). Second because every team has to keep progressing, and for that they need to play once in a while against the strongest ones, not just those that play at their level.

Voilà, I know it's just a dream but it would be pretty cool wouldn't it???

Jeez what are SANZAR doing, there's a number of great ideas for the competition being posted up. Like the finals idea, not something I've though about before.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Aug 13 2009, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Aug 12 2009, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Macsen @ Aug 12 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Actually, throw France into any competition and becomes interesting. Because they destroy (at least) one teams chances every year in the 6 nations and then make another team look way better than they were and voila they come somewhere in the middle of the table....or they have one of those years and absolutely hammer everyone.

All the trinations needs is 15 <strike>onions </strike> frenchmen to make a team and there you have it. Problem solved!

On a serious note, I get the impression that the tri nations (as organised by SANZAR) plans are based around tv deals, so I presume any chance of a change in format (to include Argentina) comes when the current deal runs out, which is when?
[/b][/quote]

I think it's in 2011.

Sanzar don't care about the Tri Nations they just want more money that's why they're trying to took the Bledisloe match to Hong Kong last year.

It would be cool to see other teams such as Argentina or a French team come into the Tri Nations but the only problem is will either team be able to field a competitive team with most of their players playing Heineken Cup, Premiership or other various competitions.

Anyway to answer the topic I'd say yes I'm getting bored with the Tri-Nations especially when the ab's were winning before the RWC it just wasn't exciting anymore. I remember when I use to want to wake up 3am just to watch the Rugby but these days I'll rather have my sleep and just watch a replay.

Back to the matter at hand...

I also would like rugby to be more free flowing with less kicking, but I also understand that from the national teams perspective (South Africa are a good example) that if you can win test matches against some of the best teams in the world by using your massive forwards to bash it up, kick for field position, then get your fly half to kick 30 penalties a game then your going to do it. I don’t think the rules are the problem. This is just a trend in international rugby at the moment and it will remain a trend until someone works out how to beat it. Eventually that will happen and what ever they use to beat it will become to new tactical trend. Australia won two world cups in the 90's because they were better organised and had batter defence. When other nations worked out how to beat this game plan the trend changed. That’s just the way it is in sport

In regards to the tri nations being too long, I agree. They seem to get longer every year as TV broadcasters and national unions search for greater profits. I think more countries should be involved which would allow the same amount of games (happy broadcasters) but a greater spectacle when the SANZAR nations play (happy fans). Bring in Argentina and perhaps a qualifier from Asia and the Pacific Islands.

Three teams playing eachother all the time make for a very dull competition. Nobodies fault, not a reflection on the quality of rugby (which has been excellent so far this year) but it is without doubt damaging the competition as a whole.

Thats the beauty of the Six Nations. We play eachother once, either home or away, and while the rugby isnt as good as down south, the variety is there and upsets are the norm. We all get to play England once a year, who wins that match gets bragging rights for a whole feckin year! Not for a week or two but a whole year. Make the games meaningful for the fans again I say!

You guys need to re-introduce that element by introducing new teams and reducing the frequency of the games. Dont change the rugby itself, just the format. Otherwise the fans will vote with their feet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steynboi @ Aug 12 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Aug 12 2009, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Yes, The Tri-Nations is boring
2. Funny how people don't like a kicking game yet were in favour of the ELVs...[/b]

with respect to all,

again jealous that england underperform constantly in the 6 nations... the tri nations is alot more entertaining than the piece of **** england perform at home in twickenham. you nearly get beat by teams like italy which is awesome which is entertaining to see how such a "legendary" team comes up just short.

i dont see how the tri nations is boring when one looks at its own national team in a boring run tournament itself
[/b][/quote]

:huh:

WTF are you on about?

You can't just include Argentina in Tri Nations. It is needed minimum two Super 14 franchizes from Argentina.

I like your suggestion, a Premier League of international rugby, you should email it to the IRB, the first tier teams are debatable but those are the current top 6 teams accordingly to the "confusing" world ranking system. Life would so much easier if the NH and SH play in the same season.

On topic I don't believe the Trinations is boring, the intensity has been great just because you don't see alot of tries been scored doesn't mean you don't see quality, you have to appreciate all aspects of the game, the commercial viewer might not appreciate the driving maul but i love it! Same in football you can still see amazing talent and quality when 2 top European Club teams drew 0-0.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Air4life @ Aug 14 2009, 06:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
On topic I don't believe the Trinations is boring, the intensity has been great just because you don't see alot of tries been scored doesn't mean you don't see quality, you have to appreciate all aspects of the game, the commercial viewer might not appreciate the driving maul but i love it! Same in football you can still see amazing talent and quality when 2 top European Club teams drew 0-0.[/b]
Rolling maul is great.

It's the kick-and-chase that sends me to sleep. Effective tactic, but it makes me wonder about the point of rugby - like the long ball game in soccer: strictly for people who hate to gamble.

I wouldn't crush the tactic through fussy laws, but it's a piece of prevention that has to be balanced with invention.

And a commercial viewer? What viewer isn't commercial?

Latest posts