• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Anyone else studying for professional exams and holding down a full time job?

Bada-Bing!

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Hong Kong
Club or Nation
British Irish Lions
Just started studying for my CTA - stands for Chartered Tax Advisory exams. Bloody hell it's a hard slog trying to do 9-5 job and then come back in the evenings and weekends to study. If you are how are you coping?

Just started studying for my CTA - stands for Chartered Tax Advisory exams. Bloody hell it's a hard slog trying to do 9-5 job and then come back in the evenings and weekends to study. If you are how are you coping?
My buddy finished his cpa (Certified public accountant) exam last spring. We really didn't see him between graduating undergrad and finishing the exams.

Did a year of uni while working full time a couple of years ago when re-training/changing career paths
Hard slog but worth it in the end

I finished off my Bachelor's degree a couple of years back. I was supposed to start a master's this year but went a bit ***s up in my personal life and had to drop.

Are you doing a straightforward University degree?(I'm assuming it's evening class based) If so, when you say just started studying, is this for finals?
May be worth looking into entering into an internship with someone like Deloitte, and stringing the exams out. You may not get as much as on your 9-5 but you'll show you're serious about the role and willing to sacrifice. Deloitte are always looking for people, and even if it doesn't work out with them, then other potential employers will value that far more than someone who spent 4 years in uni, organising marches about how bad accountants are ;)

Are you doing a straightforward University degree?(I'm assuming it's evening class based) If so, when you say just started studying, is this for finals?
May be worth looking into entering into an internship with someone like Deloitte, and stringing the exams out. You may not get as much as on your 9-5 but you'll show you're serious about the role and willing to sacrifice. Deloitte are always looking for people, and even if it doesn't work out with them, then other potential employers will value that far more than someone who spent 4 years in uni, organising marches about how bad accountants are ;)

no I am a dull accountant who works in tax. Just put off doing the CTA for ages and now bored of the level I am at. Only way now is to do more exams.

yeah don't particularly want to work for a big 4 until I get the exams. Where I am at I am fine if I fail an exam or two and my job isn't dependent on me passing it but they will pay for the courses/materials. Just got to use up my holidays to study for them which I have built a lot up. So some sacrifice on my part is needed.

This weekend I have been studying the CGT implications on sale of leases. God it was hard work and still haven't got my head fully around it.:confused:

I'm nearing retirement and fortunately my studying days for work are over. But I wish those of you who are in the process well, it'll be worth it in the long run. :cool:

Keep putting off doing my part 3 to become a registered architect. I've got a young family (6y/o & 11m/o) and I'm not sure I could handle doing more work in the evenings/weekends atm. Been saying that for 5 years though, so I'll have to take the plunge at some point.

I completed a 5 years masters degree while having a full time job and two kids to look after.
You've just got to allow times in your diary and stick to them , have a plan and follow it through. I'm sure you'll smash it!

This weekend I have been studying the CGT implications on sale of leases. God it was hard work and still haven't got my head fully around it.:confused:

really? It sounds like so much fun! :)

Good luck with it anyway, and if you're on linkedin, it may be worth following a few of the big firms (if you're not already), to see what the 'flavour of the month' is.

I did a 3 year degree over a 5 year period while working a full-time job, and wrote my final exams a month after my first child was born. Rough period that I don't look back in fondness.

What got me through it was printing out my semester study plan and putting it up on the lounge/kitchen wall where anybody in the house could see it. I would put big visible ticks on the items as I completed them. It become a discussion point with guests and was in my face all the time. This method was a game changer for keeping me at it. I would have completed the degree earlier if I did this from the beginning.

studying for the bar exam right now and it's a full time job in itself. Between training twice a week (playing again cause **** my body), working out, and 7 hours of listening to lectures I'm absolutely fried.

Edit: also realizing that some of my law professors sucked cause I don't know **** about contracts

Latest posts