• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ANZC Week 9 - It's hammer time!

J

Jethro

Wellington 32 -13 Southland

The Lions handled the wet weather better than the Stags in charging to a bonus point win in the capital. Both the backs and forwards combined well with some excellent execution going down to make mince meat of one of the better defenses in the competition. It's not season over for Southland, but the Lions have served notice they will be there at the business end.

Player to take note of, Wellington halfback Dan Kirkpatrick for the EOYT. Henry and co are making a mistake not looking at the ANZC talent coming though, Kirkpatrick has been turning in some pretty decent efforts recently.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Sep 25 2009, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

The Lions handled the wet weather better than the Stags in charging to a bonus point win in the capital. Both the backs and forwards combined well with some excellent execution going down to make mince meat of one of the better defenses in the competition. It's not season over for Southland, but the Lions have served notice they will be there at the business end.

Player to take note of, Wellington halfback Dan Kirkpatrick for the EOYT. Henry and co are making a mistake not looking at the ANZC talent coming though, Kirkpatrick has been turning in some pretty decent efforts recently.[/b]

Seriously? for one hes a first five, for another hes ****. Hes a flake in the mould of Stephen Brett just not as good. Hes not the best first five in Wellington let alone in contention for an All Black spot.

Sorry Jethro but I have to agree with Danger Dan Kirkpatrick has potential but he doesn't show it on a more consistant basis. It's hard watching him play when you know Fa'atonu Fili's on the sideline and he could do a better job thou last night Dan Kirkpatrick's kicking was on song and he was setting up some good plays.

To be honest I thought the Stags might of been alot closer last night but the Lions just showed what they can do if some the passes stick and they're allowed a bit of space to run.

I will say thou I was a bit worried around the rucks because the Stags looked to really good at the breakdown and pulled off a few good turnovers.

It was pretty much do or die for us so I'm happy as we come away with maximum points and hopefully we can continue to play good and keep the momentum going.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Sep 25 2009, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sorry Jethro but I have to agree with Danger Dan Kirkpatrick has potential but he doesn't show it on a more consistant basis. It's hard watching him play when you know Fa'atonu Fili's on the sideline and he could do a better job thou last night Dan Kirkpatrick's kicking was on song and he was setting up some good plays.

To be honest I thought the Stags might of been alot closer last night but the Lions just showed what they can do if some the passes stick and they're allowed a bit of space to run.

I will say thou I was a bit worried around the rucks because the Stags looked to really good at the breakdown and pulled off a few good turnovers.

It was pretty much do or die for us so I'm happy as we come away with maximum points and hopefully we can continue to play good and keep the momentum going.[/b]

What is the deal with Fa'atonu Fili? why is he not starting every game. For my mind its between him, Cruden, Delany and Slade as to who is the second best 1st 5 in the country. The calmness at which he controls the game rivals anyone in the world and his tactical kicking is better then Carters in my opinion. if he was only a shade quicker off the mark he would be world class.

Hopefully he plays for Samoa at the world cup. David Smith as well. if they get their **** together i think the Samoans could make the semis. and from there you only need two flukes..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Sep 25 2009, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Sep 25 2009, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Player to take note of, Wellington halfback Dan Kirkpatrick for the EOYT. Henry and co are making a mistake not looking at the ANZC talent coming though, Kirkpatrick has been turning in some pretty decent efforts recently.[/b]

Seriously? for one hes a first five, for another hes ****. Hes a flake in the mould of Stephen Brett just not as good. Hes not the best first five in Wellington let alone in contention for an All Black spot.
[/b][/quote]

This is what happens when you take your match reports across the Tasman :p

Fa'atonu Fili is definately my favourite player and I think he should be starting over Kirkpatrick. I just love the fact that he can kick drop goals, he even won us a shield challenge with a drop goal. He was not really given a fair go, he only got one game at first five and i think we would be going much better if we had him there permanently.

I don't support putting any players on the EOYT without playing Super 14 . Players without experience should not be rushed into the All Blacks. This means it is too easy for them and they do not have to work hard for it.

I have also been thinking with the first five situation what the Hurrricanes side will look like next year. There are a lot of options for first five: Matt Berquist, Willie Ripia, Fa'atonu Fili, Aaron Cruden and Daniel Kirkpatrick. I am sure Cruden will be first snapped up just for the potential that he offers and he could still be there for the Hurricanes in 10 years time. Berquist will probably head down to the Highlanders and then I am guessing that the incumbents from the last season would be retained. That would be harsh on Fili but I'm sure someone else would be snapped up. Does anyone know when the squads are chosen?

As for last night, it was good to get that win. The bonus point is bound to be crucial too. I think we have still to play Tasman, North Harbour, Manawatu and Northland. Traditionally we should beat all of those teams, I am sure one of them will get it up on us. We are in a good posistion going into the end for the season to make another final and lose. Hopefully, next year we lose the Thursday night time slot. The average crowd for Thursday games is about 4,800 which is 3,000 less then the rest of the competition games. Ideally, all or most of the games would be played on the weekend afternoons. I bet afternoon games draw the biggest crowds on average.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 25 2009, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Fa'atonu Fili is definately my favourite player and I think he should be starting over Kirkpatrick. I just love the fact that he can kick drop goals, he even won us a shield challenge with a drop goal. He was not really given a fair go, he only got one game at first five and i think we would be going much better if we had him there permanently.

I don't support putting any players on the EOYT without playing Super 14 . Players without experience should not be rushed into the All Blacks. This means it is too easy for them and they do not have to work hard for it.

I have also been thinking with the first five situation what the Hurrricanes side will look like next year. There are a lot of options for first five: Matt Berquist, Willie Ripia, Fa'atonu Fili, Aaron Cruden and Daniel Kirkpatrick. I am sure Cruden will be first snapped up just for the potential that he offers and he could still be there for the Hurricanes in 10 years time. Berquist will probably head down to the Highlanders and then I am guessing that the incumbents from the last season would be retained. That would be harsh on Fili but I'm sure someone else would be snapped up. Does anyone know when the squads are chosen?

As for last night, it was good to get that win. The bonus point is bound to be crucial too. I think we have still to play Tasman, North Harbour, Manawatu and Northland. Traditionally we should beat all of those teams, I am sure one of them will get it up on us. We are in a good posistion going into the end for the season to make another final and lose. Hopefully, next year we lose the Thursday night time slot. The average crowd for Thursday games is about 4,800 which is 3,000 less then the rest of the competition games. Ideally, all or most of the games would be played on the weekend afternoons. I bet afternoon games draw the biggest crowds on average.[/b]
Fili is a class act.

Why not choose on ANZC form. I believe its called for this year with Aaron Cruden.

Donald is a bust, hes had his chances and is not up to the mark. 2011 is right around the corner, we dont have time to wait for Cruden to prove himself in the Super 14, we need to throw him in now to see if hes any good, then if he performs give him next year to get used to a black jersey.

The way i see it is that Cruden has been playing behind an average pack, with a fairly average backline, and hes making them look awesome, thats enough of a test for me. He can play under pressure, with his pack going backwards and his backs not really helping him out. thats what we need.

Why waste time waiting for him to play super 14. I dont think its any better of an indicator, Donalds chiefs came 2nd, and hes dire. We always used to pick our players based on NPC form before and from memory the all blacks were still pretty good back then.

With the 1st fives im picking Ripia to start (even though i dont rate him at all) with Cruden on the bench, the big question is who the backup will be, im pretty sure it will be Jayden Hayward, Hes a 1st 5 thats been shifted to 2nd, and can also play fullback. They already have 2 1st fives that dont play anywhere else plus Weepu who can cover, doesnt make sense to have a third player that only plays at the pivot.

A dark horse is Jack Cameron from Taranaki, Hes arguably been their best player this year, he plays anywhere in the backline admirably and wouldnt mind training hard with little minutes. Hes what they need at the Hurricanes, a little less show, and a little more substance to compliment Conrad.

The big problem with Thursday games in Wellington is they have their students night on a Wednesday. I know that in Manawatu the Thursday games are packed with ****** students looking for something to do before students night in town.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Sep 25 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 25 2009, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As for last night, it was good to get that win. The bonus point is bound to be crucial too. I think we have still to play Tasman, North Harbour, Manawatu and Northland. Traditionally we should beat all of those teams, I am sure one of them will get it up on us. We are in a good posistion going into the end for the season to make another final and lose. Hopefully, next year we lose the Thursday night time slot. The average crowd for Thursday games is about 4,800 which is 3,000 less then the rest of the competition games. Ideally, all or most of the games would be played on the weekend afternoons. I bet afternoon games draw the biggest crowds on average.[/b]
Fili is a class act.

Why not choose on ANZC form. I believe its called for this year with Aaron Cruden.

Donald is a bust, hes had his chances and is not up to the mark. 2011 is right around the corner, we dont have time to wait for Cruden to prove himself in the Super 14, we need to throw him in now to see if hes any good, then if he performs give him next year to get used to a black jersey.

The way i see it is that Cruden has been playing behind an average pack, with a fairly average backline, and hes making them look awesome, thats enough of a test for me. He can play under pressure, with his pack going backwards and his backs not really helping him out. thats what we need.

Why waste time waiting for him to play super 14. I dont think its any better of an indicator, Donalds chiefs came 2nd, and hes dire. We always used to pick our players based on NPC form before and from memory the all blacks were still pretty good back then.

With the 1st fives im picking Ripia to start (even though i dont rate him at all) with Cruden on the bench, the big question is who the backup will be, im pretty sure it will be Jayden Hayward, Hes a 1st 5 thats been shifted to 2nd, and can also play fullback. They already have 2 1st fives that dont play anywhere else plus Weepu who can cover, doesnt make sense to have a third player that only plays at the pivot.

A dark horse is Jack Cameron from Taranaki, Hes arguably been their best player this year, he plays anywhere in the backline admirably and wouldnt mind training hard with little minutes. Hes what they need at the Hurricanes, a little less show, and a little more substance to compliment Conrad.

The big problem with Thursday games in Wellington is they have their students night on a Wednesday. I know that in Manawatu the Thursday games are packed with ****** students looking for something to do before students night in town.
[/b][/quote]

I believe if you just toss players in there you are weakening the All Black jersey. You should not pick players to see if they perform, you should have absolutely faith that they will. If Cruden performs in next year's super 14, he will have 2010 and then the whole of 2011 All Black's environment, I would say that that is plenty of time. Besides, I can't see Henry taking any risks over this end of season tour. The media are going to be really going for him if we don't win every game by about 30 points, I don't think he will be in the experimenting mood. Then again, we are playing the Barbarians and the Wallabies which are just two exhibition games. I would not mind so much if Cruden was given a go in just those games although I would not do that myself.

North Harbour 29 - 18 Counties

Both sides scored three tries and the Steelers were within one point at the break 6-5. First red card of the season saw Harbour centre Andrew Mailei heading to the showers after 22 minutes. Surely even Counties should have been able to win this one? Two factors, heavy rain stopped a free flowing game, Harbour showed some fine fighting qualities. Best win of the season by Harbour for mine, good hard rugby as it should be played at the ANZC level

Taranaki 14 - 15 Waikato

Willie Ripia hit a drop goal with five minutes remaining for the Naki and it looked like game over, Trent Renata returned the favour a couple of minutes later to give Mooloo a late win. You have to feel sorry for the Naki they can't seem to turn a trick recently, and were perhaps the better team on the night. Another good, tight display of rugby.

For those slightly bemused by lack of try scoring Friday, well the big open running teams come out to play Saturday ... keep tuned it's going to be a ripper of an afternoon/night's rugby.

The ref for the Taranaki match was an absolute joke, and I'm not just saying that because we lost. He was bad for both teams. Yet again a prime example of a little man with a little power determined to listen to his own voice as much as humanly possible.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 25 2009, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Sep 25 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 25 2009, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fili is a class act.

[/b][/quote]

I believe if you just toss players in there you are weakening the All Black jersey. You should not pick players to see if they perform, you should have absolutely faith that they will. If Cruden performs in next year's super 14, he will have 2010 and then the whole of 2011 All Black's environment, I would say that that is plenty of time. Besides, I can't see Henry taking any risks over this end of season tour. The media are going to be really going for him if we don't win every game by about 30 points, I don't think he will be in the experimenting mood. Then again, we are playing the Barbarians and the Wallabies which are just two exhibition games. I would not mind so much if Cruden was given a go in just those games although I would not do that myself.

[/b][/quote]

Thats the thing though, you HAVE to pick players to see if they perform, the super 14 is not a good enough test. As ive already stated Stephen Donald more than proved himself in the Super 14 and he sucks at test level. The super 14 is not that great. Aaron Cruden has proven himself by pulling an entire 2nd rate team to a franchise high victory rate by himself. Hes proven he has the talent, and we need a backup 1st 5.

The end of 2010 and start of 2011 is not enough time. Dan Carter needed more than 2 years, bear in mind that Cruden would barely get any game time during the Trinations, he is to be groomed as the backup first five not the starting one, and we cant afford to bench carter for the Trinations games. If we dont pick Cruden now and get him up to speed with the ABs, then he wont have time to make it to 2011 and then if Carter breaks an ankle in the first game, we're stuck with Stephen Donald. Is that what you want?

I hope Northland take the shield off Canterbury than get relegated to the 2nd division and that'll f#!@ Steve Tew and co's ideas right up. Imagine the shield not being played for in the elite division there'd be a hell of a uproar yet the 4 teams getting dropped wont get a chance and there's not really much they can do about it which sucks.

I'm picking Northland, Manawatu and Bay Of Plenty for tonights games all by 12+ :)

Canterbury 31 - 21 Northland

The evil empire retained the RS on the back of superior fitness in a match that was a lot closer than the final score would make you think. Leading 16-15 at the break the Cantabs couldn't shake a tenacious Taniwha outfit who played to their strengths. Of interest a lot of the Northland Boys and neutrals were complaining about Ref Bryce Lawrence's apparent lack of knowledge of the offside laws as the Cantabs were offending fairly regularly there, it was a two way street folks. Northland were called on to do way too much defense to last till the final whistle, but bloody brave effort from the visitors

Hawke's Bay 35 - 30 Manawatu

The traditional rivalry between these two teams provided a pretty good game for local fans as both teams spun it wide. A Bay backline that was no where near as fluent as it was against Otago the weekend before still managed to put Guildford away for a hat trick, his final try with four minutes to go sealing the match. Both forward packs matched up, the Bay has a weaknes at half back this year, with any number of players putting their hands up for higher honours. Manawatu was desparate for the win to keep their finals hopes alive, the Bay needed the bonus win with a couple of real tough games left to play, the Battle of the Bays (naming rights!) and the evil empire.

Otago 26 - 17 Bay of Plenty

Well we did need an upset in the round. BOP were atrocious on the night but lead 17-10 at the break, Otago replied with 16 unanswerted points in the second half to record their third win of the season and keep a remote chance of a finals appearance happening. Hori BOP simply infringed way to offer and at stages looked more like the keystone cops than an ANZC team.

I caught the Northland vs Canterbury game around the 60th minute and was pretty suprised to see that the mighty taniwha were still hanging in there. Like you say thou the Cantabs had superior fitness and it showed when they started to dictact play and the taniwha tired which eventually lead to the Cantabs scoring.

Damn I was hoping Manawatu would win this game gees they looked good for it until Zac got that last one. I wonder if Cruden was playing would it have been the same result, guess we'll never know but they've had alot better season than they ever had the Turbos and have only just let the last 2 games slip away in the dieing minutes.

Didn't expect this result the old man just told me this morning I thought he was telling lies. I'll have to catch the replay on the Rugby channel or some highlights.

Tasman 12 - 8 Auckland

It a pretty dour game of rugby Tasman managed to hold out an Auckland team that had 11 changes to it from the one that lost last weekend. Something has definitely gone off the rails for Auckland, 11 changes! The Makos deserved their win and to some extent were the better team on the day.

Table After Round 9

1. Canterbury 33
2. Southland 28
3. Hawkes Bay 26
4. Bay Of Plenty 25

5. Wellington 25
6. Tasman 24
7. Auckland 22
8. Waikato 21
9. Taranaki 19
10. Otago 18
11. Manawatu 17
12. North Harbour 16
13. Northland 15
14. Counties Manukau 11

i think wellingtons on 24 points, not 25 and does anyone know how long aaron cruden is out for?

Latest posts