ARU eye Newcastle as venue for Super 15

Discussion in 'Super Rugby' started by munross, Feb 24, 2009.

1. munross

munross Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    Super14.com

23 weeks of SuperRugby and no Air New Zealand Cup and Currie Cup...?I would miss the Currie Cup very much if this happens, but 23 weeks of SuperRugby could be fun to watch and there will still be the Vodacom Cup here in SA atleast, but still, loosing the Currie Cup that has so much history and tradition in this country...I don't know..., what do you other SANZAR guys say?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Fushitsusha

Fushitsusha Guest

Are there any cities remaining that JON hasn't name dropped for another Super side?

4. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

With all the kerfuffle with Saracens and their new South African overlords, I'm surprised a London based franchise hasn't been mooted ;)

5. expanding to Japan is so stupid not only is it going to increase travel time, the poor south africans then will have to travel to Japan which is even further then Aust NZ, why the hell don't they just can the ANZ and the Currie Cup or make them farm team competitions much like we have in North America, aka American Hockey League, Minor League Baseball etc.

Strengthen the homeland before anything else. Australia should be looking to increase its foothold on its own territory and not put its marbles in Japan

6. Perhaps the ARU should be looking to field 4 competitive teams in the Super 14 before they further dilute their player base with a new team in Newcastle, western Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne, Gosford, Gold Coast or wherever. The only way a 5th franchise would be feasible would be for foreign players (be they from Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Argentina or their Sanzar partners) to be brought into Australia en masse in order to boost squad depth. Alternatively they could raid the NRL for talent but are the finances there to do it? Not any more.

7. candybum

candybum Guest

A spokesperson from Auckland rugby spoke at our lecture last year regarding the extended super rugby serioes (23 weeks or what ever) idea. He said that that super rugby will take top priority and that air nz cup will still run at the lower end of the year and would be a lower tier competition mainly use to bread new talent, develop players who aren't super rugby ready and would not insists of any all blacks/top players as those will begin EOY tours etc. Of course he sold it better than i just explained but yeah...

I didn't like the NPC/Air nz Cup being reduced to something like this but to me it wasn't a bad idea.

8. QLD

QLD Guest

Its just media but a super rugby side wouldn't build interest in Newcastle. If JON had a brain he'd push for a GPS school in Newcastle which plays union. Look at the Gold Coast, without The Southport School it would just be a league city like Newcastle is.

9. gho

gho Guest

A Japanese team should probably be based in Japan, so that it would build interest in the japanese market. How many australians would care about Union if our teams were playing in NZ?

10. gho

gho Guest

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...5002381,00.html
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!