• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia apology to Aborigines

It’s a step in the right direction

Its what the aborigines wanted

Howard is finished, times are a changing

Get used to it

Comparing similar racial moments in other countries has no bearing to Australia, so shut-up, make ur own thread

BLR, may I ask if you're from a country or city region?
[/b]
City, I think there is less racism in the country towards Aboriginies right? I mean, even my racist mates use the excuse that they aren't racist against Aboriginies in the country because they are alright or something like that....

It depends where in the country. In places such as Orange, Dubbo and Armidale (all in NSW) which have a certain area of the city which is predominantly Aboriginal, there is quite a lot of racism.

However, I would say there is less in the country than in the city, mainly for the reason that we live side by side with more of them and we are used to them and have a higher tolerance (damn I sound like a racist in that wording, but im not :) ). From my experience, many city folk who don't get out in to the country and don't leave their area are quite ignorant to everything that goes on, therefore they are quite racist. So yes BLR, to an extent you are right that city folk probably tend to be more racist. But then again there are some extreme people out in the country who have a hatred for Aboriginals and experiencing them more often makes their hatred grow. There are lots of factors I suppose.

It's a step in the right direction
Comparing similar racial moments in other countries has no bearing to Australia, so shut-up, make ur own thread
[/b]

:lol:

yeah the aboriginals in australia have a completely unique situation compared to african americans and maoris. maoris had a treaty, and have been treated with, somewhat, respect and legality. african americans were brought in as slaves and were not indigenous. american indians could be compared to, but due to the machine we call USA they are largely forgotten.

aboriginals were slaughtered, arrested, and tried to be breeded out. they were treated like animals with no legal help for them, in terms of a treaty, instead government put inplace laws to disadvantage them.

my personal point of veiw for them to go foward from here isnt nessecarly compensation. not that my opinion matters being a kiwi, but australian funds are better off improving the living conditions and education of aboriginal townships. money needs to be put into libarys, schools, a decent correctional system, roading, transport and housing. aboriginals are stuck in a rut, and cannot get out of it without the help of the govenment.

It's a step in the right direction[/b]
No it's not - it's the end of the road.

And they've reached it without gaining anything real for the people who suffered.

Do not put faith in government - they are there to cover up and keep things quiet.

<div class='quotemain'> It's a step in the right direction[/b]

And they've reached it without gaining anything real for the people who suffered.

Do not put faith in government - they are there to cover up and keep things quiet.
[/b][/quote]
Spoken like a true Irishman

[/b][/quote]

you are a tool

we have a new govt, a new PM

got to give them a chance to make things improve, not take the stance, that all govts are the same

What did people think of Brendon Nelson's speech? Obviously there has been some widely reported controversy. Apparently it was insulting, misguided and did not ring true. To me though, it seems the contrary. Yes Dr Nelson said that there were "good intentions", but that is true. They were good intentions at the time. He did not use this to qualify the acts. Also, he said that there were many problems in Aboriginal communities today and they should be fixed. Yet that was seen as offensive? I don't get it. It's true, very true, and it must be changed as Nelson said. So what is your opinion?

What did people think of Brendon Nelson's speech? Obviously there has been some widely reported controversy. Apparently it was insulting, misguided and did not ring true. To me though, it seems the contrary. Yes Dr Nelson said that there were "good intentions", but that is true. They were good intentions at the time. He did not use this to qualify the acts. Also, he said that there were many problems in Aboriginal communities today and they should be fixed. Yet that was seen as offensive? I don't get it. It's true, very true, and it must be changed as Nelson said. So what is your opinion? [/b]
Didn't he say something like he didn't think it was necessary to compensate the stolen generation? If so, I think thats what most of the carry on is about.

[/b][/quote]

Shtove does have a point. Sometimes actually doing something concrete about the problem has more of an effect than mere apologies ever would.

I could ramble on about the slave trade (something which almost everyone, be they British, Irish, European, American, Arab was complicit in) as a prime example but that is one case where it would be far better to take active steps which could revolutionise people's lives in Africa such as the abolition of trade barriers between Africa and the G8 bloc, targeted and strictly conditional aid to kick start economies, etc rather than put out a rather meaningless apology for some vague period between the 1400s and 1900s...

In the end, this apology is very much welcome, but it is concrete actions that make the real difference.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> It's a step in the right direction[/b]

[/b][/quote]
you are a tool

we have a new govt, a new PM

got to give them a chance to make things improve, not take the stance, that all govts are the same
[/b][/quote]
Maybe you're right. But why would you trust government to improve things? They're not your mummy and daddy. They're not even your bestest friend.

Anyway - this new wave of "brilliant talent" won't make a blind bit of difference, because government complicity in the outrageous excesses of the banking industry is about to destroy your economy and quality of life.

I expect the Aborigines will go back to being spat on from a great height fairly soon.

Didn't he say something like he didn't think it was necessary to compensate the stolen generation? If so, I think thats what most of the carry on is about.
[/b]

Yes, he did say that, but that was not seen to cause much of stir - after all Kevin Rudd does not support compensation either. As it has been reported and as many people viewing have been reported he apparently made it out they are bad people becasue of the alcohol problems, etc. Also his "good intentions point" was met with controversy - although of course it was with good intentions in the PAST.

I don't understand why the Australian Prime Minister has apologised, I would rather have seen the British making an apology to the Aborigines. I'll give you a quick history lesson on Australia with the help of Wikipedia:

*The Commonwealth of Australia is a country in the southern hemisphere comprising the mainland of the world's smallest continent, the major island of Tasmania, and a number of other islands in the Indian and Pacific Oceans. The neighbouring countries are Indonesia, East Timor, and Papua New Guinea to the north, the Solomon Islands, Vanuatum, and New Caledonia to the north-east, and New Zealand to the south-east. The Australian mainland has been inhabited for more than 42,000 years by Indigenous Australians. After sporadic visits by fishermen from the north and then European discovery by Dutch explorers in 1606, the eastern half of Australia was later claimed by the British in 1770 and initially settled through penal transportation as part of the colony of New South Wales, commencing on 26 January 1788. As the poplation grew and new areas were explored, another five largely self-governing Crown Colonies were established during the 19th century*

Anyway hope everyone is still awake after those facts.

I truely believe that the British should recognise how they abused the Aborigines when they first came to the island of Australia. Even more so they should recognise that they exterminated the Aborigine Tribe which had lived on Tasmania for many years.

I don't understand why the Australian Prime Minister has apologised, I would rather have seen the British making an apology to the Aborigines. I'll give you a quick history lesson on Australia with the help of Wikipedia:

*The Commonwealth of Australia is a country in the southern hemisphere comprising the mainland of the world's smallest continent, the major island of Tasmania, and a number of other islands in the Indian and Pacific Oceans. The neighbouring countries are Indonesia, East Timor, and Papua New Guinea to the north, the Solomon Islands, Vanuatum, and New Caledonia to the north-east, and New Zealand to the south-east. The Australian mainland has been inhabited for more than 42,000 years by Indigenous Australians. After sporadic visits by fishermen from the north and then European discovery by Dutch explorers in 1606, the eastern half of Australia was later claimed by the British in 1770 and initially settled through penal transportation as part of the colony of New South Wales, commencing on 26 January 1788. As the poplation grew and new areas were explored, another five largely self-governing Crown Colonies were established during the 19th century*

I truely believe that the British should recognise how they abused the Aborigines when they first came to the island of Australia. Even more so they should recognise that they exterminated the Aborigine Tribe which had lived on Tasmania for many years.

[/b]
Now my friend, without meaning to sound too harsh, you should mind you own business. You have no idea what you are talking about. Remember, ignorance is bliss.

Australia became its own governed country in 1901. The reason our Prime Minister apologised was for the 'stolen generation' which occured between 1869 and 1969 although the majority of it all and the height of the stolen generation was between 1918 and 1969.

Thank you for your history lesson, however it meant nothing to this topic :)

<div class='quotemain'> I don't understand why the Australian Prime Minister has apologised, I would rather have seen the British making an apology to the Aborigines. I'll give you a quick history lesson on Australia with the help of Wikipedia:

[/b]
Now my friend, without meaning to sound too harsh, you should mind you own business. You have no idea what you are talking about. Remember, ignorance is bliss.

Australia became its own governed country in 1901. The reason our Prime Minister apologised was for the 'stolen generation' which occured between 1869 and 1969 although the majority of it all and the height of the stolen generation was between 1918 and 1969.

[/b][/quote]

Sorry if I did not understand why the Prime Minister apologised, but I was sure it was due to the abuse the Aborigines recieved. Why then did he apologise if you don't mind giving me you're own history lesson.

[/b]

Because of the rather muddled way in that the Dominions gained their independence, the whole blame game can be pretty confusing and rather self-defeating as again, mere words benefit nobody but actions and investment benefit everyone.

EDIT: For example, as authority for the administration of Australia, like India, was devolved to locally based British administrators, I wouldn't see the case for the British Government apologising for actions which Australians might argue were taken by what was the seed of the future Australian administration. For another example, allot of what went on in India could be blamed on the decendant commercial interests of the East India Company and not the British government.

I don't think Britain suddenly charging in and saying "oh, yeah, by the way, we're awfully sorry for the period between 1869 and 1900 as well!" Again, it solves nothing.

OFFS - who cares about history?

Certain people got screwed over because they were of a certain "type".

A decent society wouldn't care about any "type" - it would accept everyone on his merits and let life go to work. But the control freaks must always intervene with their lunatic categories and screw the categories over - that means they take a chunke of your pay and give it to a needy "race" or "group", because of the "necessary" redistribution of wealth.

Nothing to do with justice. And the redistribution doesn't look too clever when you see those fat drunken welfare ******** driving around in their state-paid "convenience buggies". Or when a reckless bank sucks on the public *** because the greed merchants are "too big to fail".

The remedy for the screwing over lies in the genius of the common law - the neighbour principle: you have a duty not to harm your neighbour, and if you fail in that duty you compensate them for the loss caused by that failure. One on one. That's the way it ought to be, down to blame and compensation.

Politicians announcing that they're Sorry is pure horseshit - they know there's no real culpability, and yet they pretend for our benefit that there's something they can do about it.

Tell them to f*** off. Better to stay private and not rely on the public bullshitters: you can then whisper to yourself that wise American saying: **** happens, deal with it.

Yes, I should calm down. "Politics is bullshit that will destroy your life" is just not worth fussing about.

Now look who is going off wide of the mark! Calm down mate, its only a game! I hope you weren't like this when debating the Treaty of Nice!

Latest posts