• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia in India

An easy win for England my arse

Cant believe we are playing with two geneuine fast bowlers, an off spinner on debut, a fast bowling all rounder and an all rounder who cant bat and can spin a bit but shouldnt be in the team.. if we win this match it would be a monumental effort and better than the 04 series victory even if its a drawn series.

The test team for the summer should be

Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin +
Lee
Johnson
Clark
SPINNER??

And really give Ashley Noffke a go if one of the fast bowlers get injured.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Nov 8 2008, 03:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Botham has been getting his dig in about the Aussies' bowlers saying that without Warne and McGrath they don't amount to much outside of Lee and forecasts an easy win for England in the Ashes cause they do have the bowlers.

Anyway taking wickets is all well and good but you want your spinner to be tying down an end not getting hit out of the park.[/b]

Botham usually talks sense, so it seems strange to hear this. Are you sure it wasn't Nasser Hussein who predicts an "easy win"? That guy is the most one eyed tosser ever.

Australia are getting hammered at the moment because they have no spinner. Lee, Johnson and Stuart Clark are still a pretty decent pace line up when you compare them to any other team in the world. They just have absolutely no spinners, which is obvious in the way the Indians are scoring such huge totals against them.
When Australia come out to bat, it's Harbahjan and Mishra (both spinners) which have been there undoing. This is the obvious gap between India and Australia at the moment.

England? They have Monty Panesar who is pretty damn average, and England wickets don't turn as much as Indian ones, so this is a whole new ball game. Australia will still thump them because England's bowling attack isn't anywhere near India's. The English batsmen might have it easy also with the bat, but their line up is not as strong as the Aussies so I can't see how they will win.

Might be a few draws in the series, but I cannot see England getting at least one win at all to be honest.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Nov 8 2008, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Nov 8 2008, 03:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Botham has been getting his dig in about the Aussies' bowlers saying that without Warne and McGrath they don't amount to much outside of Lee and forecasts an easy win for England in the Ashes cause they do have the bowlers.

Anyway taking wickets is all well and good but you want your spinner to be tying down an end not getting hit out of the park.[/b]

Botham usually talks sense, so it seems strange to hear this. Are you sure it wasn't Nasser Hussein who predicts an "easy win"? That guy is the most one eyed tosser ever.

Australia are getting hammered at the moment because they have no spinner. Lee, Johnson and Stuart Clark are still a pretty decent pace line up when you compare them to any other team in the world. They just have absolutely no spinners, which is obvious in the way the Indians are scoring such huge totals against them.
When Australia come out to bat, it's Harbahjan and Mishra (both spinners) which have been there undoing. This is the obvious gap between India and Australia at the moment.

England? They have Monty Panesar who is pretty damn average, and England wickets don't turn as much as Indian ones, so this is a whole new ball game. Australia will still thump them because England's bowling attack isn't anywhere near India's. The English batsmen might have it easy also with the bat, but their line up is not as strong as the Aussies so I can't see how they will win.

Might be a few draws in the series, but I cannot see England getting at least one win at all to be honest.
[/b][/quote]

Panesar is better than average and he takes plenty of wickets in English conditions. There's still a lot of ifs with the England bowling attack, Harmison seems to be back to his best, but can he keep that going through to the end of next Summer, Anderson and Flintoff are class bowlers but fitness is always a doubt with them as it is for Jones and Broad is coming on in leaps and bounds so the bowling attack is there to take 20 wickets, the problem for England is will their batsmen back up the bowlers efforts, they didn't during the Summer tests but maybe an easy tour to the West Indies should see a few of them making some scores, bar Pietersen of course.

Yeah I can see how you'd think it'd be Hussein it does have his air to it but Botham's as one eyed as the best of them, it's just because he's achieved so much more in the game than Hussein that he's got more respect.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Nov 8 2008, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Nov 8 2008, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Panesar is better than average and he takes plenty of wickets in English conditions. There's still a lot of ifs with the England bowling attack, Harmison seems to be back to his best, but can he keep that going through to the end of next Summer, Anderson and Flintoff are class bowlers but fitness is always a doubt with them as it is for Jones and Broad is coming on in leaps and bounds so the bowling attack is there to take 20 wickets, the problem for England is will their batsmen back up the bowlers efforts, they didn't during the Summer tests but maybe an easy tour to the West Indies should see a few of them making some scores, bar Pietersen of course.

Yeah I can see how you'd think it'd be Hussein it does have his air to it but Botham's as one eyed as the best of them, it's just because he's achieved so much more in the game than Hussein that he's got more respect.
[/b][/quote]

Whatever happened to Simon Jones? He's like the Jonny Wilkinson of rugby, wins the ashes for England then gets injured and hasnt been seen since seriously whats happened to the bloke?

England must be a tad desperate if they are still hanging on to Harmison and Anderson. Panesar I havent seen too much of lately but I like for some reason, well he took 5fa in his first ever match against Australia at the waca (a fast bowlers paradise with no spin at all) and well.. I just laughed that the went defensive for the first two test matches last ashes series in picking Giles. England won the 2005 ashes playing attacking but they crumbled in Australia going with defensive tactics.

AT who do you go for in test cricket and the Ashes?

Yeah sorry, probably was a bit harsh on the England bowlers. Harmison is getting back to where he was 4 or 5 years ago and Sidebottom has been bowling very well also. Still, Flintoff's bowling has gone off the radar which is a big loss. Anderson is basically in there 'cos they have no one else. Panesar has his moments, he's at least better than any Australian spinners at the moment and he's definitely a step up from Ashley Giles (LOL, now he was crap).

Still can't see the Aussie batsmen (Ponting, Hayden, Hussey, Clarke are 4 of the top batsmen in the world) succumbing this attack. That being said, I can't see the Aussie bowlers giving the English any real trouble without Warne/McGrath.

And yes QLD, Jones' career is basically finished due to injuries after the Ashes victory.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 8 2008, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Nov 8 2008, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Nov 8 2008, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Whatever happened to Simon Jones? He's like the Jonny Wilkinson of rugby, wins the ashes for England then gets injured and hasnt been seen since seriously whats happened to the bloke?

England must be a tad desperate if they are still hanging on to Harmison and Anderson. Panesar I havent seen too much of lately but I like for some reason, well he took 5fa in his first ever match against Australia at the waca (a fast bowlers paradise with no spin at all) and well.. I just laughed that the went defensive for the first two test matches last ashes series in picking Giles. England won the 2005 ashes playing attacking but they crumbled in Australia going with defensive tactics.

AT who do you go for in test cricket and the Ashes?
[/b][/quote]

I would normally want to see England do well but it's not the be all and end all, it was watching Malcolm take 9 wickets in the second innings against South Africa 14 years ago that got me interested in cricket and not having Sky at the time England were the only team I regularly got to see so I think it was fairly natural to want to see them do well, plus it's a lot easier when Ireland aren't involved so no conflict of interest bar the last world cup of course. More recently though I've been able to watch more and more cricket so it's not really a question of supporting one team over another.

Jones has been on the comeback for Worcester this season, doing well in division 2 of the county championship but not sure if he's in the England selectors' thoughts for a recall or even his current state of fitness, he is the sicknote of international cricket.

Back on topic and close of Day 3 sees India with an 86 run lead as they start their second innings, it'll be interesting to see what approach India take tomorrow, will they try and build a lead quickly to have time to win the test match or will they bide their time and play for the draw?

You'd think Australia have too much to do to salvage the series now, needing 369 more runs on a day 5 wicket, you'd still never write them off though. Harbajhan just seems to love playing against the Aussies, a crucial partnership with Dhoni when on 166-6 and faced with the possibility of being out reasonably cheaply.

Well the BBC certainly enjoyed this one, a collapse of English proportions as they put it in their text commentary, ouch that's gotta hurt. Kudos to India though, they certainly deserved this series win and interesting to see POnting well and truly out captained again.

Times like these you gotta wonder what Shane Warne would've been like as a captain. He pretty much captained anyway even when Ponting was the captain and Pontings missing Warne's expertise, he seriously was a smart cricketer Warney. We were outplayed, grats to Krejza on a great debut and well done to the Indians who outplayed us. Did anyone notice how dead the crowds looked? I think Indian fans have switched to 20/20, you dont even see those crowds against Zimbabwe, Indians always pack out the stadiums.

This test series will be another wake up call to the Australian cricket team just like the 2005 Ashes was.

The problem with that particular crowd is they only sold 5 day passes probably at some extortionate prices as well by the looks of things.

Latest posts