• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs New Zealand

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (redunderthebed @ Nov 22 2008, 05:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
They have done what there rugby union counterparts havent done for 21 years win the world cup. :lol: Anyway i'm rather shocked more than anything at least england didnt win otherwise this forum would be f*cking unbearable. <_<[/b]

Yeah I am still hearing about some stupid fluke win they pulled off in 2003

Nice to see Marshall save his one good game a year till November too <_<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 23 2008, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There will be a series of t-shirts, starring Billy Slater and Steve Ganson, being released in the coming days by myself to celebrate.[/b]

I want to buy this t-shirt :p

Highlights for me...

Seeing Wayne "The Kiwi Legend" Bennett's reaction after Adam Blair scored the match winner, he was fully pumped!!! Loved it!!! Kearney couldn't watch, but Wayne was amping.

Seeing the poor Aussies leaving the stadium with 5 to go, hilarious.

Cayless thanking the English supporters! They went nuts when he mentioned them, I almost had a tear in my eye when they were all cheering us on. Good on the England supporters for turning out. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 22 2008, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also I thought the Australian Born Englishman referee Klein was pretty good tonight, better than the shithouse Australian referees usually deliver.[/b]

He had a good game. He got pretty much every decision spot on - including the decision to penalise the Australians that ultimately led to Billy Slater's EPIC FAIL. He called "HELD!" three times.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nik @ Nov 22 2008, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
hahaha.......there were more english supporters there than kiwi supporters

amazing stuff, Kiwis seem to have a knack of upsetting the opposition when it really matters...this world cup final, 2005 tri-nations final, 2006 tri-nations final (we didn't win but we sure did scare the kangaroos by taking the game into golden point extra time)

Im Proud to be a Kiwi
I put 20 bucks on them to win at $6.50........woohoo, gonna buy some drinks with that ;p[/b]

you're a better man than me, mate; I saw the odds but still thought it was wasted money.

that was the game I always expect from the Kiwis though, nice to finally get full blood effort like that!

I don't know which one is more amazing.....beating the most dominant Kangaroo team ever on their own soil or winning the world cup.  I'd say to have both is a non Aussie players dream.  

The Kiwis that played in this game have achieved the dream of a lifetime.  There are no legends in this team...Stacy Jones is gone, Wiki has retired.  Their forwards would not make either NSW or Queensland teams.  No one in their halves or outside backs is a better player than any of the Aussie A/B or even C teams except perhaps Manu Vatuvei at a long stretch.  Hohaia can't make the starting fullback position for his club.  There only star this year who played in Manly's premier team got injured and his centre position had to be filled in by a rugby convert lock who would not even make the English super league squad let alone a SOO team.  They had no real hooker so had to play a standoff there as a fill in.  Their most experienced player and captain Nathan Cayless has not shown any star quality of late for club or country.  Benji Marshall has also had a shocking season frought with injury.  This team had sinking ship written all over them and should have easily been despatched by the English Super Leaguers.  They should have not even have been in the arena tonight standing in front of a star studded Kangaroos outfit.

Yet strangely they arrived.  Fending off the English in consecutive games before giving the Kangaroos the shock of their careers.

Before this game I was a bit wary that the  Kangaroos may have been a bit underdone.  Two games leading into this match against two islands nations could have made them a bit match soft....I think it did.  Consider what the Kiwis had to do.....two hard fought games against the best that the Super League had to offer.  An amazing come from behind victory in the first game followed bya close seesawing battle in the second.  That sounds like the perfect preparation for a final.

I had planned to watch only about 20-30 minutes of this game before switching the TV back to xbox for my weekly Rugby 06 challenges.  My plan was that if Australia scored three times in a row unanswered...then the game would be theirs.  I thought there was still hope after Australia scored their first two tries.  However when Lockyer forced the ball down for the third I deemed it to be all over and stood up to go to the toilet before changing the TV over.  My mate Doug was in the toilet first so I had to wait.  It was while I was waiting that I turned my head and saw them replaying Lockyer scoring the try.  The replays showed he had knocked it on!  When I saw this I realised that NZ still had a chance and somehow I felt that Lockyer had just blown Aussies chance to seal the game.  Sure enough after being only ten points down NZ started to exploit a bit the lack of tough match play the Kangaroos had had and eventually they crossed over for their first try.  When their second try happened after a controversial ruling from the video ref it was game on.  NZ had already been in this position of close seesawing matches (thanks England) and I knew that the longer the game went on the more doubt would creep into the minds of the Aussies because as yet they had not been tested in a close game the way the Kiwis were.

Some heads are gonna roll in the NRL.  Ricky Stuart is gonna be seen as the wrong choice.  Thanks Australia for Wayne Bennet.

OH MY GOD! That's all I can say.
That, and CONGRATULATIONS NEW ZEALAND!!!! I felt ambivalent about this whole thing from the start to be honest, because as much as I like seeing Australia win in sport, I'm also kinda sick of the Kangaroos dominating league so much. This is fantastic for international league and will make the clashes next year mean so much more. Australia played NZ 3 times this year and thumped them in 2 matches, but the kiwis won the game that counted, not unlike the wallabies in the 2003 RWC (except the kiwis won the tournament too).
Gotta love the irony though don't you. All Blacks are odds on favourites to win the RWC for over 20 years and fail every time, the kiwis get into the final as rank outsiders in the RLWC and bloody win!!

Watched it on MaoriTv and what a awesome effort from the Kiwis I put a bet on for them to win by 12 or less damnit Benji should of missed I would of made $170 but sweet as I only lost $20 but gained the Rugby League World Cup so that's still not bad goin.

Awesome game I'm more of a Rugby man but I told everyone at work that we'd dick them and only 1 of the boys had my back and the rest were pretty convinced that Aussie already had it so I can't wait to get back to work on Monday and see their faces because they'll be pleased with the win no doubt but I'll rub it into them that they had no faith.

Got an new Aussie fulla at work too now so if Hong Kong wasn't bad enought for him than us whooping them in their own hood will be even worse lol.

Go the Kiwis you flippin beauties!!

I watched the extended highlights of the game and i have to congratulate the kiwis.
They were brave and really deserved the win.
But what's the deal with that Aussie team? Their attitude made them seem like schoolboys: they threw some haphazzard passes, which resulted in a couple of tries; and they didn't play to the whistle. Those are criminal errors!
But the Kiwis on the whole looked like the better team even though you get the feeling that Australia always looked like they could (and maybe should have) scored.
The opportunity to win was there, but...did Australia choke?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Nov 23 2008, 04:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I watched the extended highlights of the game and i have to congratulate the kiwis.
They were brave and really deserved the win.
But what's the deal with that Aussie team? Their attitude made them seem like schoolboys: they threw some haphazzard passes, which resulted in a couple of tries; and they didn't play to the whistle. Those are criminal errors!
But the Kiwis on the whole looked like the better team even though you get the feeling that Australia always looked like they could (and maybe should have) scored.
The opportunity to win was there, but...did Australia choke?[/b]

Yes. Yes they did. It was a choking of monumental proportions, one could say it was the mother of all chokes. This makes the AB's in the RWC07 seem like nothing.

We played very well on the day, much better than the Aussies. But if they had played how they play week in week out (ie: un-f***ing-believable), we would have been easily beaten.

Aye, that's exactly the impression I got.
But fair play to NZ as well. They played a good game; and it's good for rugby league that someone other than the Aussies have taken that cup home.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Nov 23 2008, 05:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Aye, that's exactly the impression I got.
But fair play to NZ as well. They played a good game; and it's good for rugby league that someone other than the Aussies have taken that cup home.[/b]

Yep, just great for the game all round I say. First time we have ever won it, denying the Aussies a 7th straight victory. How gay would that have been?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Nov 22 2008, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes. Yes they did. It was a choking of monumental proportions, one could say it was the mother of all chokes. This makes the AB's in the RWC07 seem like nothing.[/b]

I dont think Australia chocked, that would be taking too much away from the New Zealand. Remember Marshall bombed a try when it was still nil all. It simply wasn't Australia's night. When Slater threw that inside pass to avoid going into touch, 9 times out of ten an Australian would have caught that and gone 40 meters upfield. The final try with the ball going everywhere - again luck would dictate Australia eventually getting an advantage. This time New Zealand score a slashing try.

Even when Australia was in front, I thought the Kiwis looked better with the ball - Bennett seems to have blended the natural open game of New Zealand with the structure needed to beat disciplined sides like Australia.

Should Stewart go - you bet. I have never had an opinion of him as a coach. When he was winning comps with Easts and making finals, seriously that squad was so good I could have coached them. They only needed some one to turn up and hand out their jumpsers.

And good luck to NZ - In one night you breathed life back into international league. You will have awakened the passion within Australia - No longer will it simply be a matter of turning up to play - Now it has suddenly gotten very serious. Lastly I hope the Australain media has enough grace to accept the loss and not make up a series of lame excuses to explain away the loss

Commiserations to the Aussies as well.
You've all conducted yourselves very well on the forum and you should be proud of your team.

w000000000t.

Don't get me wrong, i'm happy, but at the same time it has a bit of meh value, mostly due to the fact the tournament has been so low key. League fans are blowing their wad, saying it's now going to overtake Union as New Zealands favourite code, but no one knows the tournament was on here, and the local comp is still behind the likes of basketball.

And I haven't seen English fans so happy since the 2007 RWC, don't know why they have a habit of masterbating furiously whenever someone else beats a team they couldn't.

Greatest day of my life!. My voice is shot. I can't believe it...we wooooooooooooooon!!!...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :)

Rugby league was the winner today. Really pleased to see the arrogant Aussies lose but even they can see the long term good this result will bring to the sport as a whole. Loved every second!

Well the Kangaroos lose and rugby league wins.  

Conspiracy theories perhaps?   :lol:

Gee...so for the next four years we will be saying that NEW ZEALAND are the WORLD CHAMPIONS of Rugby League.  Wow that is something.

NZ are the best in the World at rugby league

....hehe..........NZ are the best in the World at rugby league.....

....the best.......in the world....

....OMG...very slowly it is sinking in.  On D-Day we turned up and won fair and square on enemy territory.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Nov 23 2008, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well the Kangaroos lose and rugby league wins.

Conspiracy theories perhaps? :lol:

Gee...so for the next four years we will be saying that NEW ZEALAND are the WORLD CHAMPIONS of Rugby League. Wow that is something.

....hehe..........NZ are the best in the World at rugby league.....

....the best.......in the world....

....OMG...very slowly it is sinking in. On D-Day we turned up and won fair and square on enemy territory.[/b]

:lol: These are the exact quotes I have been trying to come to terms with over the past 10 hours.

NZ > AUS.

774787.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Nov 23 2008, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
w000000000t.

Don't get me wrong, i'm happy, but at the same time it has a bit of meh value, mostly due to the fact the tournament has been so low key. League fans are blowing their wad, saying it's now going to overtake Union as New Zealands favourite code, but no one knows the tournament was on here, and the local comp is still behind the likes of basketball.

And I haven't seen English fans so happy since the 2007 RWC, don't know why they have a habit of masterbating furiously whenever someone else beats a team they couldn't.[/b]

Well, I don't know what masterbating is to be honest, the correct word is masturbating. I would've thought you of all people would've been in the know there, Ripper, lol. :p