• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia Vs. Uruguay

Australia went down to Uruguay 1-0, an okay result. Eyes now turn to Telstra Stadium in Sydney, which will host the deciding leg on Wednesday night.

If the Socceroos do this, no one will ever remember the wobbling Wallabies.

Perhaps. I'm not holding my breath, but I'll defiantely be disappointed if we lose. I'd rate us about a 40% chance to get through.

Originally posted by Jamie Lyon@Nov 13 2005, 11:21 AM
Another day, another year, another Socceroos chokeathon.
Yeah cause it's totally inconceiveable that the Aussies will beat the might Uruguay at home, if I'm not mistaken they've taken bigger scalps in the past.

Uruguay WILL progress. But never mind Aussies, you beat England in a meaningless friendly, you can live on that memory for years to come!
<
<
<

Didn't watch the game, they went down 1-0 though so theres more pressure on them for the return leg. Personally though, I just think soccer is a shite game and I seriously would prefer Australia's public interest level doesn't increase any further, so a 3-0 smashing by Uruguay in Sydney would be a welcome result in my opinion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
But never mind Aussies, you beat England in a meaningless friendly, you can live on that memory for years to come! [/b]

You know Aussies don't really care about that right? We only use it as a gee up to pommies because you guys go so spastic of soccer that you'll start riots and stab people with opposition team jersey's, whereas in Australia it's the 5th most popular sport and we don't really care cause we generally think soccer players are fairies (those of us that follow AFL, RL and RU, which is most of us)... we've never liked it much though, and you watch, within 5 years the A-League will be bankrupt.

Whether we get through to the World Cup or not Sanzar, soccer is making inroads into the Australian market (successful new competition and transition into Asian Confederation). Obviously the sport is going to grow much more if we make this Cup.

Any Australian who won't back another Australian team (especially in such a crucial game) must have a serious question mark hanging over them.

question mark, farkoff nobody signed on to support every single aussie sporting team for life... get a job

Originally posted by stranger@Nov 15 2005, 08:53 PM
question mark, farkoff nobody signed on to support every single aussie sporting team for life... get a job
Who are you? You're nobody. You're beneath me. I'm Sanzar's *****, and I will happily spank myself if he so requests. Please refrain from wasting my time from now on.

Originally posted by stranger@Nov 15 2005, 09:25 PM
<
Is there something wrong with your brain? Whatever you're about to do, do the opposite. That way there'll probably be a less chance of you going to jail.

Recoba: Australia has no chance
Philip Micallef in Sydney

URUGUAYAN superstar Alvaro Recoba yesterday boldly declared his team has a divine right to play in the World Cup and Australia has no chance of getting through to the finals in Germany.

Recoba, 29, who plays his club football for Italian giants Inter Milan, claimed after a 90-minute training session at Aussie Stadium the Socceroos had gone backwards since 2001.

"I believe this Australian team is weaker than the one we faced four years ago," the striker said.

Recoba, the master craftsman they call "El Chino" because of his oriental looks, has hit some marvellous goals in a chequered career at club and national level.

But yesterday he came up with a diplomatic own goal when he announced: "We have a right to be at the World Cup. I'm not saying that we have to force our way into the finals, but it is normal for a country like ours to be at the game's biggest event.

"The Australians obviously will try their utmost to beat us and this is only logical.

"But the fact is that Uruguay are Uruguay and the Australians should respect us for this.

"We are a big country with a rich past, a major footballing country that has won far more (than Australia).

"I do not know what type of game we can expect on Wednesday â€" but what I am sure of is that we will get to Germany.

"We're a strong team and in a good position. One-nil should be enough for us."

As 200 drum-beating and chanting Uruguayan fans followed the training session, Recoba said it was "nice to come so many thousands of kilometres from home and be greeted by many Uruguayans living in Australia".

"We've got to give them a night to remember," he said.

Recoba, one of the finest footballers produced in Uruguay, was deemed to be the main difference when the two sides last met in 2001 for a place in the 2002 World Cup in Korea and Japan.

Australia won the first leg at the MCG in Melbourne 1-0 but Recoba and his amigos crushed the Socceroos 3-0 in the return at the Centenario Stadium.

And Recoba was again in sparkling form in the first leg in Montevideo at the weekend. It was from one of his wicked free kicks that attacking fullback Dario Rodriguez came in on the blindside of Australia's defence to head in the only goal of the match.

Recoba represents the finer side of Uruguayan football, which also has a reputation for gamesmanship and thuggery.

Only last week World Cup hero Ronaldo warned the Australians that Uruguay would use every trick in the book to get to Germany.

Recoba would not elaborate on the Brazilian's statements.

But his view about the weakness of the Australian team was contradicted by his teammate Dario Silva, who said he felt the Socceroos were an improved outfit.

Former Socceroos Robbie Slater and Craig Foster believe Harry Kewell must start again tomorrow night despite being short of match fitness.

"They're going to want to protect what they have, so Harry's going to be a lot better, he's going to have a lot more freedom," Slater said.

Foster said Australia could ill afford not to start a genuine matchwinner.

"The key for us will be to play as many matchwinners and potential goal scorers as we can possibly fit on the team sheet, and still be cohesive," Foster said.

_/

It's on like Donkey Kong.

i cant wait for the match!

i only watch soccer to see the goals and hear the crowd roar...and what's even better, i dont have to look for a foxtel connected house to watch GOOD soccer....this match is free...FREE!...FREE I TELL YOU!!!

Originally posted by Wally@Nov 15 2005, 07:00 PM
Whether we get through to the World Cup or not Sanzar, soccer is making inroads into the Australian market (successful new competition and transition into Asian Confederation). Obviously the sport is going to grow much more if we make this Cup.

Any Australian who won't back another Australian team (especially in such a crucial game) must have a serious question mark hanging over them.
You sound like you're about to accuse me of being a terrorist! Seriously, soccer is played in the off season, so it's not much of a threat. However, I still f***ing hate the game, I don't want to see it succeed in Australia! Therefore I'll be cheering Uruguay on on wednesday. It's not very complex wally... If Australia had a Gridiron team that was competing for relevance I would most certainly be hoping for them to get smashed by every team possible! Are you saying that makes me unpatriotic? Because to me following any team just because the represent your area, regardless of the code, is nothing more than being a pathetic sheep! It also shows you to be a supporter with little back bone. If your team isn't doing well in one sport, you simply jump ship and pay attention to one that is! I follow teams in the league and the union, because I've played both and always been interested in both! I didn't give a toss that the Swans won this year, in fact I was desperately hoping for a west coast win, I don't care that the Sydney kings have won the basketball alot and I laugh at how they keep losing money and supporters, and I wouldn't give a stuff in Sydney FC won the A-League! I DON'T LIKE these sports FFS! In fact I very much DISlike them. As such I want to see them fail abysmally in my area, and that includes the socceroos!

Originally posted by sanzar+Nov 16 2005, 01:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Nov 16 2005, 01:33 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally
@Nov 15 2005, 07:00 PM

You sound like you're about to accuse me of being a terrorist! Seriously, soccer is played in the off season, so it's not much of a threat. However, I still f***ing hate the game, I don't want to see it succeed in Australia! Therefore I'll be cheering Uruguay on on wednesday. It's not very complex wally... If Australia had a Gridiron team that was competing for relevance I would most certainly be hoping for them to get smashed by every team possible! Are you saying that makes me unpatriotic? Because to me following any team just because the represent your area, regardless of the code, is nothing more than being a pathetic sheep! It also shows you to be a supporter with little back bone. If your team isn't doing well in one sport, you simply jump ship and pay attention to one that is! I follow teams in the league and the union, because I've played both and always been interested in both! I didn't give a toss that the Swans won this year, in fact I was desperately hoping for a west coast win, I don't care that the Sydney kings have won the basketball alot and I laugh at how they keep losing money and supporters, and I wouldn't give a stuff in Sydney FC won the A-League! I DON'T LIKE these sports FFS! In fact I very much DISlike them. As such I want to see them fail abysmally in my area, and that includes the socceroos! [/b]
There's so saving you now Sanzar.

Anyway, not long until our fate is decided. I'm bloody nervous, however, I am confident with the game plan and style we will play - except please don't ride the luck any further with those clumsy challenges in the penalty box. Come on you 'Roos.

Latest posts