• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership 17/18 - Round 4

Slade having a good game. Hopefully this is him ridding himself of The Billies.

Had a £25 free bet on betway and decided to put it on sam simmonds to get 2 or more tries. The way this game is going he could have as it opens up toward the end. But he had to headbutt hughes's leg! Oh well was an outside bet :)

Slade is a good 13. Given space he can run but given he is a little further out than 12 he now can do that long pass to the wings (or flankers) in space. That bit of time and he is calm amd accuratw today

There is a marked difference in physicality between the two teams. It's not that the Chiefs are just a side full of boshers - far from it, they're just, to a man, comfortably more physical.

I'm hoping that defensively you are stronger than Wasps, Toomua, Ford and Smith made like 39 tackles between them.

I reckon Tigers will win the scrum battle BUT the lineouts are going to be really tough to watch.

Thats all true but its also about how well we close doen george ford because he really can get a team on the front foot. Chiefs, hopfully have sam simmonds back after he was taken off and dominate upfront as they did today being very physical and then keeping possesion which is tiring phase after phase for the opposition.

On another note their physocality today kept pushing wasps back further and further until they were forced to kick, its impressive that they can do the possesion tactic and then defend it if it is tried against them :)

Went to watch the Chiefs - Wasps game live and I have to say that I've earned a great deal of respect for Nathan Hughes. To stay with Simmonds and alert the ref is one thing but to also attempt to put him into the recovery position and stay with him right until the medics arrived was another. He got a huge round of applause from Sandy Park and he deserved, fantastic display of sportsmanship.

Beyond that, I thought that Hughes had a very good game. Getting pummelled by Slade didn't help his cause but his defensive workrate was excellent and he carried well as per usual.

Slade deserved MOTM. I saw him say that EJ has told him to work specifically on playing 13 and I think that finally knowing his definite position will really help him develop. He looked a real attacking threat and his play making was pretty excellent, he's got a hell of a pass on him.

Woodburn should get a look into the England squad. He is sheer class.

He was always decent, and above average at Bath. Bath decided to ignore this.

He's a club player.

Agree with Rats on this.

Plenty other wingers who are ahead of him.

Could understand if we where short on wingers but we are not.

I've been looking at Sam Simmonds' stats and they are ridiculous.
This season he's made 231 metres, the most of any forward in the Prem. The next best forward after him at Chiefs is Armand with 82.
He's made 48 tackles (missed 3, 94% tackle rate), the most in the squad. The next best player in the Chiefs squad after him is once again Armand with 38.
He's beaten 16 defenders (Tied most in the Prem with Hughes), only beaten in the Chiefs squad by Nowell with 24 (most in the Prem). Next best forward is Armand with 7.
He's made 6 breaks, the most of any forward in the Prem (2nd most in the squad after Woodburn with 10) and 3 more than any other Chiefs forward (Skinner)
Considering he missed about 60 minutes today these are incredible.

To put him into a context with the England squad I'll compare him to Nathan Hughes. Obviously Vunipola is the man to beat but he hasn't played enough to make it a fair comparison.
Hughes has made 205 metres, 26 less than Simmonds.
He's made 50 tackles, 2 less than Simmonds however Simmonds has played roughly 60 less minutes and Hughes has missed 7 tackles, 4 more than Simmonds giving him a success rate of 88%, 6% less than Simmonds.
He's beaten 16 defenders, the same as Simmonds.
He's made 5 breaks, 1 less than Simmonds.

To summarise, of the Prem forwards he tops metres made, breaks and defenders beaten.
I'm not suggesting Simmonds should be starting for England. But he definitely deserves a look in.

Who listened to me after I pointed out how good he looked in the first sevens comp?

Who? 'Kin no-one!

To be honest there's more for you to be positive about than us, despite the result. Te'o, CS-W and DO'C had big games for you and looked dangerous. Plus your hooker can actually throw and hit his man in the lineout, unlike ours...........

You scored what will end up being the try of the season so I wouldn't feel too down if I was a Gloucester fan!

Latest posts