• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

B&I Lions 2009 - whos going?

oh the estatic throes of a relationship...

3-5k ounds sterling, thats a **** load of money where i come from.. thats a months salary for an director/manager/MD of a MNC

oh the estatic throes of a relationship...

3-5k ounds sterling, thats a **** load of money where i come from.. thats a months salary for an director/manager/MD of a MNC
[/b]

No no, that was An Tabh quoting the price in Euros.

We'd be looking at £1.5 - £3k. Still pretty damn expensive though.

Obvioulsy it's not going to be a cheap trip, you're talking about return flights to SA, staying there for 3 weeks, so factor in food, hotels, drink, transfers and tickets, there's probably so much more I'm not factoring in, I'd probably be inclined to take the easier option and go with a tour.

Obvioulsy it's not going to be a cheap trip, you're talking about return flights to SA, staying there for 3 weeks, so factor in food, hotels, drink, transfers and tickets, there's probably so much more I'm not factoring in, I'd probably be inclined to take the easier option and go with a tour.
[/b]

Saying that though, going to SA will be far cheaper than following the Lions round somewhere like Australia.

Food and travel aren't particularly expensive for what they are, certainly much better value than in the UK.

What about elevated crime rates in SA? MIght that be a problem especially for tourists who arne't used to it?

We shall hide in the hotels guarded by legions of armed security guards.

Ignorance is bliss I am afraid.

Look as long as you don't accidentally wander into hilbrow or soweto you'll be fine ;)

I was wondering how we stack up against other touring countries, I would expect we're pretty cheap, people who live in flats in the UK come over here and buy a beach house, from what I've seen on carte blanche anyway.

Even in New Zealand you can be a king (which is surprising, because they smell)!

My Uncle in the late 1990s sold up his old semi detached, three bedroom, pebble dashed council house and moved to New Zealand to a lovely five bedroom house in the middle of nowhere.

He had a stream at the bottom of his large gargen (several acres) where he could fish and if he wanted his grass mown, he just rented som sheeps off of the local sex offender/Sheep farmer to put on his lawn!

Where it all falls down of course is when he wants to buy something that isn't actually made in New Zealand. Stuff that has to be imported is pretty pricey, especially if you're in New Zealand.

I've always been a bit doubtful over going to SA, the racial divides and high crime rates have always put a stopper on us going there, obviously people who live there will say it is fine, and it probably is.

BM

What about elevated crime rates in SA? MIght that be a problem especially for tourists who arne't used to it?
[/b]

what a tourist!!! damn it man.. dont ruin it!! there will be no crime there! :p

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

what a tourist!!! damn it man.. dont ruin it!! there will be no crime there! :p
[/b][/quote]

There won't be any crime there, you'll have some of the most hardened drinkers that Northern Europe can assemble occupying parts of South Africa in 2009 ;)

y avoid soweto and hilbrow? racism?

oh i can juust see a reused headlines now when NZ tours SA or vice versa

" The All Blacks versus the No Blacks"

READ ALL ABOUT IT

y avoid soweto and hilbrow? racism?

oh i can juust see a reused headlines now when NZ tours SA or vice versa

" The All Blacks versus the No Blacks"

READ ALL ABOUT IT
[/b]

Racism ?, what does that have to do with hilbrow?

You've never been to Hillbrow have you ?

I celebrated the new year in London with a retired South African copper who has a company that does security for some of the Super 14 clubs in SA and will be doing the Lions tour.

He did mention that all of the officers had to donate 2 pints of their own blood every month to be stored away, y'know, for when they'd get injured. He himself was shot 4 times, he showed me the scars.

Should I be worried? This is seriously starting to sound like Manchester on a friday night here! o_o

I celebrated the new year in London with a retired South African copper who has a company that does security for some of the Super 14 clubs in SA and will be doing the Lions tour.

He did mention that all of the officers had to donate 2 pints of their own blood every month to be stored away, y'know, for when they'd get injured. He himself was shot 4 times, he showed me the scars.

Should I be worried? This is seriously starting to sound like Manchester on a friday night here! o_o
[/b]

Like I said, Hillbrow dude... just stay away.

@ Caledwlch I was theone who said it, and it has nothing to do with race, believe me It's just a bad area. Most of the skyline in Johburg isn't even being used anymore becuase of these types of areas, just too much violence and crime, so most businesses have now moved to the suburbs.

You should see Hillbrow at christmas or new years, you literrally can't enter becuase the entire area get's closed off by either the police or the military. why ?, well do you want a fridge falling on your head from 15 stories up ?

Is there anywhere in SA that I could quite happily walk around without being flanked by so much security, you'd think I was Lennox Lewis?

Is there anywhere in SA that I could quite happily walk around without being flanked by so much security, you'd think I was Lennox Lewis?
[/b]

I went to SA in 2003, and we were allowed to go rounds bits of Cape Town unsupervised when we were only kids.

Obviously we didn't wander into any of the townships, but for the entire 2 weeks we were there I only experienced one bit of crime - a woman had her bag snatched in a shopping centre and the offender was promptly tackled by a couple of security guards.

This sort of thing and worse happens in Britain all the time. I think as long as you are sensible and don't go round acting like a tourist with your head up your arse it's fine.

I also got the impression things were generally better in this respect the further south you go, but I doubt this is exactly the case.

Yeah, it just sounds a bit intense like your typical British city on a Friday night thats all.

Its alright, I've managed to survive Scotland (almost got glassed twice by Aberdeen FC casuals) so I can survive South Africa.

I'm going. Started saving this time last year @ £20 a week you don't miss it. I figured £4,000 would be enough to have a good blow out as Sterling will be strong against the Rand (fingers crossed).

Personally I wouldn't entertain the thought of going with a tour operator as I don't like getting ripped off for something I'm quite capable of doing myself. :)

SA is a beautiful place and people shouldn't feel threatened about things they read in the papers and see on the news.

Get your arses over there and enjoy it. The tour only happens once every 12 years so make the most of it while you can.

Latest posts