• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ban the haka ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
disagree with the whole thing...pretty much. I only apologize for spelling 'prima donna' wrong.
If we were kindly sitting down and I went like "you know, I just don't think the haka should be allowed" you'd stare at me meanly and go "YOU'RE A MORON !" ?? oh well...it's nice I don't know you. That's hardly a balanced state of mind you'd have there, friend ! ;)

Well I wouldn't say this to Maori ppl coz they'd probably hurt me physically, and I don't want that...but I still see it as just that. A pompom routine. Just like you wouldn't tell Manu Tuilagi you think he's an inarticulate, low intelligence character though you do think that, but that's neither here nor there and has nothing to do with the basic respect I'm asking for.

Do I come on an online forum for THIS ? Nope...I'm not 15 anymore.

Actually no, I wouldn't stare at you and call you a moron. I'd just laugh and go sit with people who have more respect for a rugby tradition. You want people to give respect but you don't show any.

This is now more a general point regarding your conduct. I note a tendency for you, when others have either disagreed with you or proved you wrong to get very condescending and patronizing and at times verbally abusive.

In this case you have put forward an idea but your only base defence is because you see it as just a dance or whatever, that inherently is showing no respect to both the Haka itself and the people who see it as a part of not only rugby culture but also New Zealander/Maori culture. Because of that any time you whine about not being shown respect for your argurment is becuase your argument in itself is disrespectful

I would reply more - but for all your huffing and puffing yoe and degrading all responses that don't fit with your own, there wouldn't seem much point. I will say you lack any knowledge of what the haka means and instead look at it through a primitivist scope more reminiscent to the colonial era. If teams didn't want to face the haka then they would not have to - it is an invitational practice.

Personally I could happily live with the All Blacks saving any and all haka's for special occasions as it has become a bit too routine for me, but I guess it would be an insult to say any test match wasn't important. If there was an overwhelming feeling the haka should be removed because players weren't sufficiently able to get excited (which looking at reactions to the haka from players certainly doesn't seem to be the case) - it should come from the players. Having played rugby for a school which had no haka, and never done the haka for my club, but facing the haka of others many times while standing still with my team mates - my own feelings are never resentment, its anticipation, excitement and wanting to tackle one of them harder than ever. I guess you should be on the recieving end of it before taking offense on behalf of others.

You always ask for respect and call others childish - but you can't seem to spot your own BS.

Got a silly argument going in stead of discussion again, oh well !...:p my curse on this forum.
and well nick, what can I tell you, if I get childish responses, I get childish responses, what do you want me to call them ? I'm not degrading them, I'm stating what they are. And there is no BS from me, my position is clear and it is what it is, and there's certainly nothing wrong with merely being for the ban of haka and pointing out precisely why. It's simply called discussion. Ppl make it look like this horrible or unsustainable position, which is downright strange given that I've extended rational thought to why I take that position...
And again, I honestly read your post and would like to call it BS (for there are many elements that prompt me to) but just won't...yet you won't hesitate to call mine BS straight away. It's just not cool man, what can I tell you ? You'll do it even more if I start saying it's - you know, the magical word - childish.
Oh and, "KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE HAKA", that's just funny man ! Ooh, my !! Sorry, sorry ! I guess I haven't read the ONE paragraph there on wikipedia !...so much to learn there, silly me ! :D

As for your experience, that's fine man. But it's not an argument, it's just some anecdote about the experience of haka.

TRF_Selim: you're downright wrong about everything you've said. If proven wrong, I'll go with the better opinion. I've done it on these very pages in fact, but you wouldn't even care about that, you're more interested in blaming me right now, evidently.
And how my being proven wrong relevant at all to this thread, I'm still waiting on strong arguments to do that ?! :p You're just blabbering about an idea of me that is 100% concocted and fits your comfortable fictitious side of the story. I'm not interested in that if you're blind as a mole and will see what you want, and won't see what's far more complex and real.

As for my take on the DISCUSSION AT HAND - I just don't think the haka should be allowed, and I don't care if I get such hostile and at times downright violent replies - for the aforementioned reasons. It's an advantage to a one side only, unless you're Tonga and co.

I mean, think about it this way:
right now it's this perfectly engraved practice, on the field as in the collective imagination of the Ruby fan.
But as a start, imagine being this guy on the England squad way back at the start of the 20th century or so (whenever the haka came about): you sing your national anthem with pride, observe theirs calmly, anticipating the game, minding your own business.....OKAY ! Game time right ?! Awww man, let's DO THI....oh...wait, what are they doin ? Oh there's a war dance ??....okay, I suppose because it's on their soil and a special occasion....oh, what ?? They'll be doing this EVERY SINGLE TEST MATCH ?!!.....mmmmmmyeah but what do we get in return ? Why would any team have smt MORE ? We should all have the exact same number of everything, 15 players each, one head coach, 1 try line each and well, one anthem as an honorary display of patriotism...no ??
NO !! Haka is good !! Haka is tradition !! Good, haka !! Goooood !
Plus, the psychological advantage: how ON EARTH do you justify that ?!
- oh yeah...the AB just simply start with a psychological advantage....*leaning against the wall, hands in pockets, looking into the room with no expression on face*

That's the feeling I get. And for the love of God stop insulting ME personally peeeeoooopohhl !!!
Jim-Carrey-1.jpg

Last edited:
Here are my arguments:
we both get the anthem, no question here. But then they get an extra anthem, far more of an advantage psychologically. They get to parade their pompom routine, while we all have to just stand there and be subjected to it. And if we respond, we ACTUALLY GET FINED FOR IT. That would remind me of someone legally being allowed to put his ck in your mouth and if you say anything you get hit in the head and asked to hold still. It's perfectly ridiculous, and I'm pretty *amazed* nobody else agrees - BUT PLEAAAASE !!! Remain calm, this is but a discussion, remember :lol: go hit a punching bag...I'm sure you have one.
I agree that people should be allowed to react to it. But banning the haka because people can't react to it would be like sawing off your arm to deal with a paper cut! Why not just argue for people being able to react, instead of banning customs?!

Besides, not sure why it's just NZ that get a psychological boost out of it. I reckon I'd get massively pumped from the haka.

It's a bit of a pre-Madonna act: reminds me of going to jam with your band, and the lead guitarist just...HAPPENS TO JUST *have this routine*, where he plays solos for 5minutes, and the whole band just stands there.....because that's exactly what it is through one aspect. It is.
Given the crowds at rugby games, isn't it more like when the guitarist does this at concerts? Which every band since ever does.

The singing of the National Anthem before games was first done as a response to the Haka in 1905 on their tour of Wales. Tommy Morgan started singing, the crowd joined in, and the rest is history.

Ergo - No Haka, no Anthems.

The singing of the National Anthem before games was first done as a response to the Haka in 1905 on their tour of Wales. Tommy Morgan started singing, the crowd joined in, and the rest is history.

well I'm not even going to verify that...will take your word for it.

I agree that people should be allowed to react to it. But banning the haka because people can't react to it would be like sawing off your arm to deal with a paper cut! Why not just argue for people being able to react, instead of banning customs?!
well at least that, yes. At very, very least.
But I say the haka is the problem initially, so your sawing off the arm analogy doesn't work; to me the virus to get rid of IS the haka. I'd use the analogy the other way around, twist the logic 180°:
it's like there's a problem, and we deal with it with another problem as reaction. Just get rid of the problem at the root, and all is fine.

Besides, not sure why it's just NZ that get a psychological boost out of it. I reckon I'd get massively pumped from the haka.
that's what a lot of players say, yes. But regardless, that's bonus to some opposing players get pumped - but let's not lose sight things: they get to stare you down, open their mouths, do cutthroats gestures, yell like apes; a genuine warcry, and we DON'T - we DO NOT get to do all that, and they do.

Given the crowds at rugby games, isn't it more like when the guitarist does this at concerts? Which every band since ever does.
No, that's just something else. Or if you really want to use the 'live' aspect in the analogy, it's like a battle of the bands and you have to wait for the opposing band's lead guitarist to go prima donna with solos and you can only stand there and watch - before the competition even starts. That's exactly what the haka is, now agree with it or not, but that is what's going on.

In sense though: I wouldn't ban the haka because of the masses' reaction. The people want it, a lot of players want it. Obviously keep it, I'm not going against the vast majority. I'm just looking at it from the root, in theory.

I can understand your questioning it's value in the game, my post was mainly to show just how historically closely it is associated to the game of Rugby (ie older than singing of national anthems before games).

And is the reason Wales wanted to sing Hen Wlad fy Nhadau after the Haka in 2006, to commemorate that moment. Still think it was just as much NZ's fault for that mess as it was the WRU's, if not more so considering NZ were informed of the change days in advance, yet left it to just before kick-off to kick up a fuss. Yet Wales seems to take the blame.

As for the argument at hand, I don't agree in the slightest.

Firstly, the Haka has more tradition than singing the Anthem as pointed out by Rich Taff.
Secondly, it is the most recognisable part of rugby, and helps promote the sport.
Thirdly, why?

And is the reason Wales wanted to sing Hen Wlad fy Nhadau after the Haka in 2006, to commemorate that moment. Still think it was just as much NZ's fault for that mess as it was the WRU's, if not more so considering NZ were informed of the change days in advance, yet left it to just before kick-off to kick up a fuss. Yet Wales seems to take the blame.

That would have meant missing out on this though...

(Yes, I know we were then thoroughly stuffed, but the atmosphere was incredible :p )

Last edited by a moderator:
That would have meant missing out on this though...

(Yes, I know we were then thoroughly stuffed, but the atmosphere was incredible :p )

Led that match at 9-6 half time though so it did it's job initially.

Wales got stuffed much worse when they did the haka in the changing room in 2006, HT score then was 28-3.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeh, 9-29 the final that day...

This is just male stubbornness right there, nothing glorious about it. Us men waste so much time with such things, it's hard to quite assess the silliness...
I mean two rows of people staring at each other...

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about right there, that video emphasizes my point: cut the crap, stop the BS, and just play damn ball and then just go home after 80min, stop it with the wasteful fuss and noise and all.

I mean I can just see myself standing there, like, "ooh, big man, I'm staring a guy in the eye from 10 meters across, ooh wow now that's an accomplishment in this life". Ffs just play the damn oval and stfu...(and please, nobody be silly enough to be offended by this, I'm not addressing this to anyone here in particular ! :D)

You have no idea how that affected the fans.
At the end of the day, it's the fans who are the most important thing. If nobody watched, then there would be no tours, no stadiums, no need for anthems.

I can't tell if you're just trying to wind people up now to be honest.

yeh, 9-29 the final that day...

This is just male stubbornness right there, nothing glorious about it. Us men waste so much time with such things, it's hard to quite assess the silliness...
I mean two rows of people staring at each other...

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about right there, that video emphasizes my point: cut the crap, stop the BS, and just play damn ball and then just go home after 80min, stop it with the wasteful fuss and noise and all.

I mean I can just see myself standing there, like, "ooh, big man, I'm staring a guy in the eye from 10 meters across, ooh wow now that's an accomplishment in this life". Ffs just play the damn oval and stfu...(and please, nobody be silly enough to be offended by this, I'm not addressing this to anyone here in particular ! :D)

And THAT is the proof that you have little to zero understanding of what you are arguing against. The haka is a physical challenge, and by standing there as we did with no movement and constant eye contact was subliminally saying to both the crowd and the AB's was "we will stand our ground and give you our all". Its tenuous but its liked to the natural "fight or flight" impulse all the natural world shares.

You have no idea how that affected the fans.
At the end of the day, it's the fans who are the most important thing. If nobody watched, then there would be no tours, no stadiums, no need for anthems.

I can't tell if you're just trying to wind people up now to be honest.

I'm obviously criticizing those aspects for what they are. I DON'T CARE that fans love it, I'm just criticizing it on its own, how could you possibly not distinguish the two ?! HOW ?!! I just don't get it !!
I KNOW the fans love it, but there are millions of Justin Bieber fans dude, I couldn't care less that's not an argument per se ! Do you understand that notion ?!...
I'm seriously getting tired of these responses, forget everything I've said. Haka's fantastic, haka's fantastic ! :p (tongue pulling smiley)

gaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!........

One thing always lost in these haka debates, is how different the Haka's NZ performed USED to be(not all Haka's are war dances either)...rugbydump used to have a video of an old pre mid 80's Haka(the account it was on was terminated) and it IS NOTHING like the current one. I post it on here probably once a year to show people, and to be frank it did sort of look like yoe's "pompom"routine in fact many different hakas were used while the current one was specially created for the AB's in 2005.

Wayne Shelford is widely credited with changing the way it was performed during the mid 80's....though I would also argue that with professionalism the extra time players have together and to train probably leaves more time to get the Haka down right, whereas assembling the amateur boys for an hour or two after work/school means laregly focusing on the aspects of your game and quickly heading down to the pub. Nor has yoe been the only one to criticize it, the throat slashing gesture has been the most debated part and in fact was temporarily suspended in 2006 I believe.

^ yup, there was a story about the cutthroat thing and a possible/temporary ban, yes...
And thanks for the info, but I'm done here LittleGuy ! Used up all my patience...I'm OOOOT !

yoe91

Perhaps one of the reasons that you aren't getting the responses you want is that "Ban the Haka" is a tired old canard that has long passed its use by date, and has been done to absolute death for the last 30+ years

As a consequence, on most rugby forums, this one included, it is considered to be an example of argumentum ad-nauseum, where the same logical fallacy is repeated over and over and over and over.

Most of us have generally had an absolute gutsful of the subject and the idiots who keep bringing it up!!!

And then yoe has the audacity to call me an idiot??!!

This has to be the most idiotic thread not started by SigeSige00!!

I think yoe is the only rugby fan who would want this... and based on the responses, its clear that everyone else are in disagreement with the Frenchy...

I love the Haka! I get goosebumps everytime I watch it. It's not only part of NZ or Maori or even the Pacific Islanders' culture, its part of world rugby culture!! It's synonymous with the AIG All Blacks. Taking it away will be like taking away the Wallaby from Australia, or frogs legs from France or bad teeth from the Dutch or Wal-mart from the US. It's something we relate to.

I actually miss the days when guys like Kobus Wiese and Bakkies Botha walked up to the AIG's and had a stare-down contest... It's on!! It's on like Donkey Kong!!

Lol, we've got the best dental care in the world. You must be mistaken with the English or US redneck states.

I think the haka's kinda meh. I've seen it done so many times it's gotten boring. Can't they come up with something else for a change?

yoe91

Perhaps one of the reasons that you aren't getting the responses you want is that "Ban the Haka" is a tired old canard that has long passed its use by date, and has been done to absolute death for the last 30+ years

As a consequence, on most rugby forums, this one included, it is considered to be an example of argumentum ad-nauseum, where the same logical fallacy is repeated over and over and over and over.

Most of us have generally had an absolute gutsful of the subject and the idiots who keep bringing it up!!!

Lol, we've got the best dental care in the world. You must be mistaken with the English or US redneck states.

I'd like to point out that we Welsh have just as bad teeth as the English! (I'm only typing this as, if I try to speak, I chew up my face!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts