• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ban the haka ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to point out that we Welsh have just as bad teeth as the English! (I'm only typing this as, if I try to speak, I chew up my face!)

In future chew more Caerphilly

Lol, we've got the best dental care in the world. You must be mistaken with the English or US redneck states.

That's not very nice....besides the term rednecks came from the poorer parts of England before the colonial era anyway as does the term "cracker" and became associated with the South of the United States because the proportion of English settlers coming from aforementioned parts of England was very high.

You make the argument that the fans love it - but that's not important, it's the players who hate it. Well - isn't it up to the players to complain if they feel the haka disadvantages them?

Seriously?

It would mean nothing to the team apart from a couple of players. Everyone would feel stupid dancing around without understanding why and even if they did understand, there would be no emotional or historical connection.

National indigenous teams - yes.

what else would you suggest mate? The last Wallabies game I went to was in a cold and dim lit Etihad stadium, there was no prematch entertainment, no half time entertainment, no shooting flames, no blow up men, the national anthem was even off key. john Williamson and his guitar were nowhere to be seen.
The crowd and the players were flat, we needed something! Sure we don't embrace our indigenous culture like kiwis do, and most of us don't know the intricate moves of an aboriginal dance but we sure as hell need something to fire up the crowd and the wallabies before the game. there is more atmosphere and entertainment with 12,000 people at AAMI park watching the rebels get flogged.

I can't believe you thought I actually Cardiff others responded.

I admit defeat. I've run out of puns, and need sleep :p

I can't believe you thought I actually Cardiff others responded.
That's Bangor't of order.

Does anyone Brecon we've hijacked the thread?

Last edited:
I have no problem with the haka and wish teams/fans would respond more often. When NZ played England at the end of 2012 whilst they were doing the haka the English crowd were signing swing low. Some got ****** saying it was "disrespectful" to sing over the haka but actually that's exactly the sort of response you want. Get everyone involved and challenge the haka. It's not like the anthems, it's NZ putting out a challenge and it's perfectly fine to challenge back.

I just gwent and bought some new toothpaste, but read online that when it comes to teeth, it wrexham.

Holywell!!! We can't have that, they might start crumlin, then you'd be in rhyl trouble, 'cause your teeth would be shotton all to hell. Its true, just usk any welshman.

i think the goal posts should have two bar's....

I get tired of people bringing this up. Yes i can understand that people don't understand the meaning to Pacific Island nations, but AB's have been doing it for 15+ years away from home. You say ban the Haka. This is our history this is our culture. Fiji, Samoa, Tonga all those other Pacific Island nations do the haka. You're not just taking away NZ culture but all of the Pacific Islands culture. I'm sorry but I grew up watching the Haka, yes I am from NZ. I love it when other teams challenge the haka, when they get in the face of the AB's that you have to blame the IRB for putting in the don't got over the halfway line. I would love to see them throw that out the window and let teams REALLY challenge the haka. ​I think teams should be allowed to respond, it's not disrespectful it's actually encourage. It's shows you have pride in you and your Country.

i think the goal posts should have two bar's....

Silence you!

stadium_afl_wideweb__430x311.jpg

The haka is what most represents our sport, every year we have new rugby fans thanks to traditions of our sport as the haka. It's something that catches the attention of both the fans and the people outside the rugby.

Long live haka!

130730060535159390.jpg

Canadians personally love the Haka as well as all the other Pacific Island's Dances as it fits in with our sporting culture. Both Tonga and Fiji received standing ovations from the crowds in both Kingston and Ottawa after they performed their respective dances at this years PNC. Our players have come out and said facing the Haka at the world cup is a memory they will cherish for ever. The haka is too important to rugby to get rid of and it is one of the great symbols of our beloved sport. Sorry Yoe I am not with you on this one.

Canadians personally love the Haka as well as all the other Pacific Island's Dances as it fits in with our sporting culture. Both Tonga and Fiji received standing ovations from the crowds in both Kingston and Ottawa after they performed their respective dances at this years PNC. Our players have come out and said facing the Haka at the world cup is a memory they will cherish for ever. The haka is too important to rugby to get rid of and it is one of the great symbols of our beloved sport. Sorry Yoe I am not with you on this one.

Not be a party pooper but I've always hated when our players(and other Tier two sides to be fair) have come out and said this...it always comes off to me as a "we are happy to be here as tourists" mentality to the game. I know I'd probably feel the same but it very much falls into the Tier Two sides as amateurs out for a lark against the mighty AB's it's hard for us to get taken seriously by the Tier Ones and this while I'm probably reading too much into it makes our guys look smaller on the big stage.

Edit: Anyways I think this thread has run it's course, as smartcooky said the subject has been beaten to death on forums since before time and most of the arguments I've seen pro and con aren't even really arguments. I don't see any need to ban it, nor do I think it's anywhere near as important to rugby as many make it out to be, nor do I think it would actually even be missed that much if it dissapeared.(Does anyone NOT get into rugby games where it isn't used?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts